Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Things to check before using LP in Fridge

Since we got our little wagon without any instructions of any kind, is there anything I should know or look for before trying to use our refridgerator on LP? It works fine on 110, I will need to use it on gas at the upcoming rally, and didn't want to blow up myself or anybody else nearby just because I didn't know to twist knob A while pushing button B.
Thanks.
Terry
Old 02-01-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

I would test fire it before the rally. When you switch from electric to gas the electric portion of the heater will be off. Based on the vintage of your unit you will have a sparker of some type. These are notorious for not working or being broke. If that is the case then You will need your other half to help, if the refer is like my old Dometic was I can offer a blow by blow of the ignition process from the rear of the refer.

Open access door, if it opens up, if possible remove it, if removal is not possible then you will need an extra set of hands (helper)

There should be a square metal cover over the bottom of the flue, you will see the gas piping going into the bottom. This cover needs to be removed. Note: even if your sparker is working I would pull this cover and vac out the accumulated rust that has fallen on the burner This will assure you that the burner will stay lit and you will not have cooling issues at the rally.

With the inside knob on gas and the gas thermostat set on max (this is my way, it may not be the manual's way) find the white nylon lever on the back of the refer to the left of the burner. Push and hold up on this lever. It is the safety valve. Light the burner while holding the lever up, once lit continue to hold up on the lever for a minimum of 20 seconds. Once you let off the burner should stay lit. If not try again, but hold up longer.

If the sparker works, this can be confirmed buy a helper activating it after you have cleaned out t the rust, then the directions in the refer can be followed. There should be a sight window that will let you know the burner is lit, but sometimes it is difficult to see the blue flame. I prefer to see it with my own eyes.

Once lit I would check to be sure it is burning a nice blue flame and that it stays lit/cooling overnight.

Once the burner is lit and staying lit you can reinstall the sheet metal cover. I know that stephroberts had a 9 volt powered started added to her caravel that had a real old dometic refer so she would not have to deal with this issue, as well as protecting her fridge from traveling blow out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I inspected mine today, it has a flint, spring, and a remote thumb wheel to strike a spark. I tried using this thing, and got nothing. I then pulled the unit out (pretty easy) and took it apart. Ah-HA! No flint. no spring. I then went to Camping World (my first misteak), and was told to go straight to Airstream. So... Tomorrow at lunch, I am heading to my local Airstream dealer to get the parts if available. If not, I will have to use the "helper" method to try and light it.
Thanks for the blow by blow. I will give an update tomorrow about the parts.
Terry
Old 02-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
zippo

terry

i would think a spring and a flint from a zippo lighter would work.

or parts from a aftermarket lighter for a coleman lantern.

john
Old 02-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: zippo

Quote:
Originally posted by john hd
terry

or parts from a aftermarket lighter for a coleman lantern.

john
That was my thought. The kid at CW about had a coronary when I suggested it. But, then, he is the one that thought they no longer made Airstreams...
Terry

Old 02-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
terry

you could always turn on the gas and toss a railroad fusee in there!

john
Old 02-01-2004, 09:12 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

If you are going to buy parts, check out this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...0516#post60516

Near the bottom is the information on the 9 volt battery powered starter. It will make for much easier lighting than the old spring flint sparker and will not effect the retro look of your unit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by john hd
terry

you could always turn on the gas and toss a railroad fusee in there!

john
It would certainly give new meaning to the "big bang" theory...
Terry
Old 02-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Re: zippo

Quote:
Yep, the flint on ours pooped out last spring, so I bought the little packet of zippo-style flints at the local grocery story counter. They worked fine.

BTW, I noticed at the time that the little flame was becoming progressively weaker. Taking the thing apart last fall, I found that the little gas nozzle was just filled with 35 years of dirt. Blew out the crud, and it worked like new.

Lynn