Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
New Trailer Shopping List

I thought with all the new trailer owners, a list of the basics might be helpful. These will get you parked and hooked up most anywhere. These are not necessarily the only, or even the best, choice, but most are what I use. Others are welcome to comment, offer alternatives, or add to it.

Water

Two 25' 5/8" drinking water hoses

Inline Water Filter (replace annually)

Two Water Thiefs (one drinking/one non-drinking)

Two Y connectors, big-bore if possible, with one cap each (Ys with shut-offs restrict flow)

Spray bottle of bleach water for disinfecting faucets

50' 5/8" garden hose for tank flushing, RV washing, fire protection

Sewage

Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to standard sewer hose adapter

Sewer Hose Kit

Sewer Hose Extension

Sewer Seal

Holding tank chemicals

Disposable surgical gloves

Electrical

25' 30A extension cable

15A male to 30A female adapter

50A male to 30A female adapter

Electrical outlet wiring checker

Small multimeter

50' 15A outdoor electrical extension cord

Propane

Soapy water for testing fittings

Lighter for oven, etc

Parking

Parking level

One set of 10 parking blocks per axle

Tongue jack chock

Two chocks for unlifted side

Tire lock for lifted side

Winterizing

Blow Out Plug

Winterizer Kit
Old 11-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Maurice,

This is a great post -- as you know, but other's do not, our last camper was a 2001 Coleman Bayside popup with a slide out.

Here is some of the gear we do NOT need anymore...

1. Porta-potty.
2. Tarps to cover the ends in case it rained.
3. Shower shoes.
4. Vacuum breaker for our blueboy.
5. Blueboy.
6. Space blankets to cover the ends if we were in full sun in the summer.
7. Two ceramic space heaters.
8. Spare bedding in case we got wet.
9. Full set of tools to fix everything that broke.
10. Anchors for the Awning. Tarps to enclose one side of the awning to protect outside cooking area from rain.
11. Two coolers, one for food and one for drinks.
12. Duct tape, seam sealant, etc...
13. Setting it up when we got home to dry out, or to clean it.

One thing the Coleman ate was fuses. Does the Airstream use breakers? Ou 1969 Globestar did not use automotive fuses -- it had breakers...

We need all the sewer stuff, and one of the electrical adapters...

-Rob
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
American spec Airstreams use circuit-breakers. Canadian spec Airstreams use fuses.

I still recommend tools, cable ties, duct tape, electrical tape. At least make sure you have a jack rated for over half your loaded weight and a lug wrench that'll fit the trailer lugs (truck ones usually don't).

Good stuff for inside, such as non-skid shelf liner, museum clay, TV grips, probably needs it's own new thread.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Good list ... I'm reading quite a few books on the subject of RV maintenance and repair while waiting for my AS.

I would add a Water Pressure Regulator

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Dunno about the vintage models, but modern Airstreams have a water pressure regulator built-in. I use that external one with a gauge, but didn't want to overwhelm new owners. Very good idea though, Porky!

What I don't use is any electrical protector. Don't have one on my house, and don't feel the need for one on the trailer since most appliances are rated to operate on fairly low voltage.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I carry the water pressure reg as well. I do not use it to protect the inside plumbing. I connect it to the campground faucet to protect my hose from the extreme pressures that can be present. The last thing I want is my hose to burst at 100 psi and beat the side of mine, or other folks rigs while we are all out.

You will want to keep the awning tie downs too. They are reccomended if you are going to leave the awning out and go away. The wind will not tip the AS over by lifiting the awning, but it can damage the awning.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
American spec Airstreams use circuit-breakers. Canadian spec Airstreams use fuses.

I still recommend tools, cable ties, duct tape, electrical tape. At least make sure you have a jack rated for over half your loaded weight and a lug wrench that'll fit the trailer lugs (truck ones usually don't).

Good stuff for inside, such as non-skid shelf liner, museum clay, TV grips, probably needs it's own new thread.
Maurice, my unit takes a 13/16" lug wrench. I personally reccommend a 4 way, NON-CHROME wrench. The 4-way for better leverage, non-chrome, because the chrome will rust and start to peel off, leaving sharp edges and causing very nasty lacerations to your hands when spinning the wrench. Ask me how I know about the lacerations...
Anybody else have any ideas?
Terry
Old 11-02-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The awning tie-downs are a good idea. We don't have 'em, and barely got back to the trailer one day in time to save the big awning.

Yeah... peeling chrome can cut like a razor blade. I carry a cheap Craftsman 1/2" drive 150 ft-lb beam torque wrench for use on the truck and trailer.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
The 4-way for better leverage, non-chrome, because the chrome will rust and start to peel off, leaving sharp edges and causing very nasty lacerations to your hands when spinning the wrench.
Hmmm ... better add a pair of work gloves to my list.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The first thing you need to get is some Walbernize and wax the trailer. A quart will do a 34'.

You shouldn't NEED this on a new trailer, but if you find gaps in the caulking around windows, etc., the caulk the factory uses is Sika-Flex 221 Gray. I don't know where you find it in single tube quantities, besides the Airstream factory store, where I got mine. Don't be surprised if you do need to fix caulking gaps, and that you can lay a bead nicer than the factory does.

I know the rest here isn't really a shopping list, but it's good advice for every new owner from a former RV tech. Regardless of who does your delivery, do these things YOURSELF:

Check the lug nuts torque and tire pressures! Go back 100 miles or so later and check torque again.

Soap test all LP fittings you can find, in and under the trailer!

While under there, look for any gaps mice could get in (i.e. bigger than your little finger), and seal them with caulk, aluminum wool, or strips of aluminum screening. Don't try to seal every seam. You AREN'T going to stop ants, and you need places for water to escape n the event of a leak.

Run plenty of water in each sink, shower, and toilet, and look in every nook and cranny for evidence of water or drain pipe joint leaks! Check both with city water hooked up and water from the fresh tank.

Make sure there's no AC or DC current to ground when the trailer is plugged in (multimeter set on AC and DC milliamps, one lead on trailer bare metal, the other in the ground).

Use a circuit tester in every electrical outlet to make sure it's wired correctly!

Check all 12V lighter plugs for power and proper polarity.

Check all gas appliances for proper operation (make sure there's water in the water heater before testing it), including refrigerator on gas.

Check the Winegard antenna, both antenna connections, and all electrical appliances, fans, and lights, for proper function.

Make sure all windows and compartment locks function properly. Clean sticking window gaskets and coat with silicone spray.

Open the gravel guards on each side, and make sure they swing freely. Same with the solar guards over the front windows.

Others may remember things I've forgotten.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all of the information. This is great.

Rob.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
New Airstream Needs

I am about to get the Airstream here in a couple or so more days and i am wondering what would i need.Also what is recomended by all of you who use these products.Such as...Dumping pipes,water hose,Surge protector,Leveling blocks or wheel stops,Awning clamps.etc,etc,etc.
I have been seaching like crazy but i just cant find everything being that there is so much information out there.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank You.
...Newbie Airstreamer...

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Forum member Road King Moe made up a list last year of recommended items for outfitting a new trailer. I'll try to find it and post a link to it. It was very helpful for us.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I am about to get the Airstream here in a couple or so more days and i am wondering what would i need.Also what is recomended by all of you who use these products.Such as...Dumping pipes,water hose,Surge protector,Leveling blocks or wheel stops,Awning clamps.etc,etc,etc.
I have been seaching like crazy but i just cant find everything being that there is so much information out there.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank You.
...Newbie Airstreamer...
Try this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7630
Good luck.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Forum member Road King Moe made up a list last year of recommended items for outfitting a new trailer. I'll try to find it and post a link to it. It was very helpful for us.

Dennis
Too late. See above post.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This is good information for new owners.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thanks

This is very helpful information.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great information. It's always good to see what everyone considers to be necessities and to learn from each others experience. In my work I get to travel a bit and ,whenever possible, I drive through a campground just to see how others set up, if there is anything new and wonderful, and to spot other Airstreamers, of course. Last week I was in a 200+ site campground w/full hookups. On one corner site I saw (in addition to the usual full compliment of party lights), a fully operational 5 foot tall bubbling water fountain complete with faux rocks made to resemble a waterfall, and two 8 foot tall lighted flourescent orange palm trees, a flock of flamingos, and one of those little portable soft hot tubs under a small cabana with a simulated grass roof. I almost wanted to stay to see what all that looked like at night, and it took all my willpower, but I managed to escape.

There wasn't a single Airstream in the entire campground.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
On one corner site I saw (in addition to the usual full compliment of party lights), a fully operational 5 foot tall bubbling water fountain complete with faux rocks made to resemble a waterfall . . .
And that is exactly why I boondock.

A great list! Not sure how I'll fit it all in my lil' Bambi.

I would also like to add 12V fuses to the list. A must have if one blow while you are on the road. Make sure you have the proper sizes to replace ones in the converter, the electric jack (if equipped), and also for the charge lines coming from the tow vehicle.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Advice for new Airstream purchaser?
I am contemplating purchasing either a 19' Bambi Safari, a 22' Safari or a 23' Safari. I will primarily use it for camping with minimal hookups, and plan on alot of backroad travel. I have a full size SUV for towing. Primarily one person, but on occasion maybe two. The typical trip length woud be two-four weeks, twice a year. Probably will purchase a new one. Any advice from users would be appreciated. Thanks
Jim H. is offline   Reply With Quote