Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Blue Ox Hitches...

Has anyone used a Blue Ox Hitch with their AS? I mentioned to the dealer that I was considering a Hensley when we get our Bambi, but he told me to check out the Blue Ox. I runs about half the dough, and supposedly is a fine hitch. Are there modifications to be made during installation, and if so, how big of a pain in the butt are they to deal with? Thanks. JL
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Haven't used the Blue Ox, but I'm sure others have and will weigh in. But, I do think the Hensley is way overkill for a Bambi. I tow a Bambi with a Land Rover Discovery (100" wheelbase) using a Reese Equalizer with one friction sway control. Now, this may not be the best (probably would go for dual cam control if I had it to do over) but it is no problem with towing the Bambi, and probably less than 1/4 the cost of a Hensley.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Blue Ox hitch

We also have a Bambi & am looking at a sway control --either a friction or Reese's Dual sway. I posted the question, on the forum, as to which was the better to use ( see the threads ) & I'm leaning towards the Reese Dual, as it appears to not have all the adjustments, etc. Also if we would upgrade I could use it for a larger unit.
Best

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I really have no complaints with the friction sway control (Reese), but I went with it based on an Airstream dealer recommendation. As far as the adjustments issue, I rarely adjust the friction at all. Maybe because I use the Bambi primarily in southern California I don't encounter the extremes of weather. But I have towed in rain and briefly in snow in local mountains. Made no adjustments. Also, always forget to untighten it when backing into tight spots, with no ill effects. Maybe just dumb luck on my part.

Having said all that, I'd still probably opt fot the Dual Cam Sway Control as it just seems a better system.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I use Reese and have for over 10 years. There isn't a bunch of technology in a metal bar, but everyone has a preference. Mine is Reese.

Friction is all you really need for units 20' of less. Anything else is kind of like swatting a fly with a sludgehammer. Dual cams are great for 20' and larger. Rick is right, there are next to ZERO adujstments to the friction sway. Pop it on, turn the bar to tighen and go. A 30 second max setup.

Now, if you plan on going to a larger camper in the very near future, the dual cam makes sense up front, however, the cost, from what I recall (not 100% on this) was that the dual cam was a bit more expensive than the friction. If I recall correctly, a fair amount more than the $65-70 for the Reese friction bar.

If you are quite a way from getting a larger unit, and you are 20' or less, I would be surprised if you noticed the difference between fricion and dual cam.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote