Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

towing

If one already has a C1500 (2WD) Suburban with a 5.3L engine and the 3.73 rear end which model and length of A/S would be sufficient for two people to vacation in around all types of terrain ( i.e a "starter" rig). Also we have noted of the "forum" folks mentioning different types of "hitches". We are just new to this and would like any and all suggestions about towing, hitches, helpful hints, etc. Also things to DEFINITELY stay away from

THANKS for everyones input, this "forum" is fantastic to get different opinions and ideas
cindy foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My opinion

I have the 5.3L in a Silverado Z71. My feeling is that for current Airstreams, it is good up to about a 23' Safari over all kinds of terrain and up to a 25' Safari if you stay out of the mountains. For older (and lighter Airstreams), you could handle a bigger trailer.My Silverado nicely pulls my 22' International (although, being a power junkie, I just put in a Banks system).

We're happy for a couple of weeks at a time in the 22', but you must pack carefully since storage is limited.

I have the DrawTite equalizing hitch and a Reese sway bar and find the combination works just perfectly for me. DrawTite is the largest manufacturer of equalizing hitches.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Banks system

Dear John,

When talking about power, what do you mean by "BANKS SYSTEM"?

Thanks,

Cindy
cindy foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Banks System

The Banks System consists of headers, 3 1/2" diameter exhaust piping throughout, and a huge low-impedence muffler, terminating in a 4" exhaust outlet. All stainless steel.

The back pressure seen by the engine is reduced from 5.9 psi to 1.6 psi. This is much like a very mild form of supercharging in that the cylinders fill more fully on each stroke because the exhaust is better able to exit the cylinder

The effect is most pronounced at higher RPMs (i.e. climbing hills), but I can see and feel a difference in overdrive as well. Last night I topped a steep little hill in overdrive that I have never before topped without a downshift in the two years that I have owned this truck.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-21-2003, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Hensley Arrow hitch

Hi Cindy,

As far as weight distribution and sway control, I highly recommend the Hensley Arrow hitch. You can get a free video at www.nosway.com You truly have NO- sway and it's an awesome weight distribution too.

But this hitch maybe over-kill if you're only going pull a 22' trailer. The DrawTite with the Reese sway-bar maybe a better choice for this combo. (the Hensley Arrow cost around $2600)

But since you guys are in that "sponge" mode of collecting as much infor as you can to make the best decision that you can, I thought I'd at least make you aware of this system.

John

p.s the testimonies within the video are a bit over the top, but it's does show how the hitch operates.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Cindy,

We are towing a 31 AS with a Yukon XL 1500 2wd with 3.73 rear end. We also use the Hensley hitch. I have found the rig very adequate in the east and south. However, on several occasions last summer to and from Arizona, I would have liked a little more horse power or pulling power in a lower rear end. Several of the passes we made (up to 11,0000 feet) ended in a 25mph crawl in first gear. We made sure we were in first coming down.

Another time I would have liked a 4.10 was going west out of Texas into New Mexico. I40 is a constant upgrade and with a strong head wind, the unit would only go 55 with the rest of the traffic at 75. That was one hard hot day. Most of the time we time we tow with little effort between 60 and 65. In Ga and Fl on I95 we have a hard time keeping it under 70.

With the Hensley, we have no problem controlling the rig. There is absolutely no wag or hint of movement in the tow vehicle. That hitch is worth every dime.
Cindy,

We are towing a 31 AS with a Yukon XL 1500, 5.3liter, 2wd with 3.73 rear end. We also use the Hensley hitch. I have found the rig very adequate in the east and south. However, on several occasions last summer to and from Arizona, I would have liked a little more horse power or pulling power in a lower rear end. Several of the passes we made (up to 11,0000 feet) ended in a 25mph crawl in first gear. We made sure we were in first coming down.

Another time I would have liked a 4.10 was going west out of Texas into New Mexico. I40 is a constant upgrade and with a strong head wind, the unit would only go 55 with the rest of the traffic at 75. That was one hard hot day. Most of the time we time we tow with little effort between 60 and 65. In Ga and Fl on I95 we have a hard time keeping it under 70.

With the Hensley, we have no problem controlling the rig. There is absolutely no wag or hint of movement in the tow vehicle. That hitch is worth every dime.

If you have any other questions about our hitch, send me an email.

Mark
Old 01-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Success

I just towed the Airstream home from storage for the first time with my new Banks exhaust system installed. I am very happy with the results.

The route home was a good test. It had about 5 miles of 65 mph rolling 4-lane, about 5 miles of 40 mph country road, and a mile of subdivision with several small, but quite steep, hills. The accelleration is noticeably better at any RPM.

The system is certainly noisier than stock, but it is a low-pitched rumble that isn't really bothersome. It is noisiest at below 2000 rpm with a heavy throttle and actually quieter when pulling hard over 2000 rpm. There seems to be some cancellation at the higher rpm.

I may be getting a mileage boost, also, although Banks doesn't claim much. I had been using the truck around town ever since the Banks was installed to shake out any problems before I towed. I averaged 14.8 mpg for 325 miles of which about 90 miles were with the trailer in tow, pre-Banks. For those miles, I would have averaged about 10 1/2 to 11 mpg. All the rest of the mileage was the local running around that usually gives me 12-14 mpg.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-24-2003, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

John,

That's interesting mileage without the banks. I basicly have the same truck and I get 15 city-17hwy.

John
Old 01-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Interesting mileage

John

Is yours a 4wd? That costs me some mileage. I have never had more than about 14 mpg in city driving. I do get about 17 on the open road without the trailer IF it isn't in the Hill Country. Then, I'm lucky to get 15 or 16.

Of course, I live in the Hilll Country and my route into town is a series of small but steep hills. Lots of in and out of OD. I think that is about as bad as city driving.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

John,

Yea, I have the K-1500 4WD Z71 & 4:10 reargears. I be may driving a lttle slower than you. 65mph on the hwy & 5 over city speed limit.

I also don't get on it much and take off easily from traffic lights. I'm planning on keep this truck for some yrs to come and I'm just taking it easy on her.

You do have the extended cab & I have the reg cab, so there's some added weight that I don't have, but I do carry stuff in the bed, as it's my storage, but nothing too heavy.

John