Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Unhappy Motorhome Classics Magazine

Unfortunately, I received notice yesterday that the MH Classcs magazine in its start up year...is ceasing publication.
The owner stated problems with support from the GM motorhome club and owners. The magazine was well put together with a slant towards GM motorhomes, but also containing info for all of us. Too bad.
Possiblity they may come with a new publication that is more generic for Classic MH owners, and if so I hope it will include a good Airstream section. I have emailied them to encourage that direction.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Alan:
If you liked Motorhome Classics, you are going to love MOTORHOME MECHANIX!
Why? Because where Classics was intended for a single audience (GMC owners), MOTORHOME MECHANIX is intended to appeal to owners of used & vintage RVs regardless of make, model or age.

Those claims are not made casually. As editor of Classics, I was responsible for determining content, writing the articles and designing the editorial pages of the magazine.

Readers of MOTORHOME MECHANIX can expect the same focus on producing a quality magazine. More importantly, they can expect TECH, ALL TECH, and NOTHING BUT TECH -- cover to cover!

My permanent website will be up and running shortly; until then, you can access more information about the magazine here:

http://gmc.backyardwildlife.com/article.php?sid=35

One final note: I guarantee Airstream owners and enthusiasts that every issue of MOTORHOME MECHANIX will not only captivate their interest -- but that some of the articles in EVERY ISSUE will feature an Airstream (either a motorhome or travel trailer) as the RV selected to showcase the repair, upgrade or modification!

Bruce Hampson
Old 10-27-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
but that some of the articles in EVERY ISSUE will feature an Airstream (either a motorhome or travel trailer)
As a self professed magazine junkie and compulsive reader and having done a lot of technical writing, I have just got to wonder Bruce.....If you are planning to cover Motorhomes and Trailers, why would you limit your audience perception of your coverage by calling it Motorhome Mechanix? I am guessing that there are 20 times more Trailers out there than Motorhomes.

Are you already under publication? Were would one find your Writers Guidelines?

I aslo sent you a PM regarding your Press Release.

Best Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

BOBBY:

I settled on the name MOTORHOME MECHANIX precisely because, as you said, there are probably 20 times more travel trailers out there. Had I called it RV MECHANIX, odds were that owners of motorhomes would consider it a trailer-oriented magazine and overlook it.

Since I intend for the magazine to primarily carry motorhome content -- but not be exclusive to motorhomes -- I felt the name fit. Many of the topics and on-board systems covered can be found in both types of vehicles.

Please note, though, that the "tag line" that runs across the cover, right below the logo (you can see the cover of the first issue at: http://gmc.backyardwildlife.com/article.php?sid=35) defines the magazine:

"The Fix-It-Yourself Guide for RV Enthusiasts."

I would urge every vintage Airstream owner who has wished for a technically-oriented publication that features Airstreams within its pages to NOT sit on the sidelines. Your support will have a direct impact on the number of articles in the magazine that are keyed to Airstreams -- we would be foolish to not give you what you want!
Old 10-27-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Were would one find your Writers Guidelines?
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
motorhome mechanix= welcome to our website. I emailed you about adding more Airsteam, Bluebird,etc info to your enjoyable Mag.
How about converting my remaining subscription over to the new publication? It would suit me fine.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

ALAN:
The hard part about being editor of a magazine is that you are the "point man," so to speak -- the magazine's most visible entity.

In the case of Motorhome Classics, however, that has proved to be a double-edged sword. While I've tried to minimize any mention of Classics in my posts here and elsewhere, the fact of the matter is that some explanation may in fact be necessary to eliminate any confusion.

I can't "honor" your subscription to Classics for the same reason that the guy behind the counter at the local burger palace doesn't pull a refund out of his own pocket. I didn't own the company. As editor of Classics, I was an outside contractor paid to do a specific job. I believe I did that job well Ñ and created an exceptional magazine in the process Ñ but I was neither part of the management of the publishing company, nor an employee.

When Classics ceased publishing, it may have left many subscribers feeling frustrated. To let that ÔfrustrationÕ drift over to MOTORHOME MECHANIX would be a mistake, though; MOTORHOME MECHANIX is not a reincarnation of Motorhome Classics Ñ itÕs a completely new magazine, published by a completely different company.

If you give it the opportunity to succeed, it will. And Alan, you most definitely WILL see more stories on vintage coaches -- and they will be in-depth "Retrospectives," not just one-page superficial overviews. As for Airstream -- I've already gone on record as saying you will see more information on Airstreams in MOTORHOME MECHANIX than you will in any other consumer magazine.

Bruce Hampson
Old 10-29-2002, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
M/H...A/S.....Mags:

Hi ALL...
How's everyone doin ??...GOOD....
Does any of U kn of a good book with LOTS of NICE foto's of A/Ss & M/Hs, as we all comin over in 2 weeks time 4 our 21 night visit, ( CAN'T WAIT )... ...I would LOVE to pick up a GOOD book (s)....if any of U can recommend one, or two, please let me kn the title and number of it, & the author as i may b able 2 buy or order a copy, hopefuly it will arrive at the store b4 we come home.. !!!!........THANK'S 4 that:...
My D/S & I found some realy motor books, at a book store in the Orlando Shopping Mall...what a GREAT place...
Well ALL take care now...Chris.....
Old 10-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
THERE IS AN AIRSTREAM HISTORY BOOK THAT YOU CAN GET WIHT GREAT PHOTOS IN IT, BUT NO MOTORHOMES.
I PAID 10 BUCKS ON AMAZON.COM FOR THE SOFT COVER.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Chris ~

I think this is the book Alan is refering to...

It's called Airstream History of the Landyacht, it's 144 pages, published in 2000. By Bryan Burkhart and David Hunt.

It's available at most every book store, online at www.Amazon.com or www.airstreamdreams.com and on ebay. The price should be around $15-20 new.

Enjoy your visit this side of the pond...

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Thank you.

Thank's Alansd & Shari...
...Nice looking cover, looks just what I'm after, I'm sure I can get it in Orlando...I did get some great books on our last visit, but I did'nt see any A/S or M/H ones...I will this time though...
Yes we will enjoy our 5th visit 2Yr wonderful land, funny how we got the rest of Europe 200 miles from our home...and never had the urge to visit, to be honest...there's just something about the place...could it be the " MOUSE"....more likely the FOOD...Oh!!! I can SMELL that chicken from here...lol...
Well best wishes 2 you ALL, from this side of the pond.
...Chris.....