Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2002, 04:24 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
What to wash your new trailer with.

To this day I still haven't been able to get what I feel is a good answer to this question. My dealer and a lot of other folks say use a dish detergent (Dawn seems to be the most named). I have also read other posts which say don't use anything which has ammonia in it. Now if you look closely at Dawn and other dish washing products you will see a chemical which seems to have ammonia as part of the name.

I have also been told don't use any automobile products because they have petrolium additives.

In both cases I've been told ammonia and petrolium are enemies of the plasticoat used on the new trailers. Short of using plain water, I'm still uneasy when washing the trailer. Currently I'm using Dawn but only because the vote for it outweighs the negative comments about products containing ammonia.

Unfortunately my emails to Airstream customer service regarding clarification have gone unanswered. Maybe they don't know either!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Jack,
I recently read not to use dish detergent because of an ingredient also and darn if I cant remember what they said to use instead. I will have to think and search through some stuff and see if I can find it but I know I saw it.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

To Jack

Do not use Dawn. The ingredients are too strong . Dawn is a great soap to use to remove wax from any surface.
From my experience and research, any car wash soap in fine for the finish on your Airstream.
Cliff in Indiana
Airstream402001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have used an Armorall car wash, mixed mild, and then hand waxed with liquid non - abrasive turtle wax. The plasticoat for the most part on my 20 year old unit looks really good.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
I used Armorall car wash on my trailer last year with good results and then put a coat of Walbernize on it, looked so brand new when I was done I had to take pictures of it. I need to look at the ingredients of Armorall though. I can't find the info I read about dawn and what to use but still looking.

John
Old 04-01-2002, 02:54 AM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Exterior Cleaning Agent

Was it Peter or Jack?
I just read where one of you was looking for a good exterior cleaning agent. Did you ever get a good suggestion? I have found that DAWN (blue) liquid diswashing soap (NOT electric dishwashing liquid)

Use the blue liquid 'dawn'....in TEPID water...with a VERY soft brush (I got one from the hardware store with a long handle (extending) and a place to hook a hose at the end of the handle. It's blue in colour and when you run your hand over the brush....it's so soft, the bristles feel like feathers.

I work on an area about 3 feet square at a time to prevent any soap from drying on the 'skin'.

DAWN also gets the algae out of the cracks of the trim too. It's a good cleaner and it's VERY gentle and will not harm the finish of the aluminum, OR the screening......OR the awning.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:58 AM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Soap

I just read the post of this thread from someone with a 1983 Excella...who was wondering about the ingredients of Armoral...
& I had to comment!
My son was a detailer of 'exotic' cars for several years....and plus he's a perfectionist to begin with---and he says NEVER use Armoral on anything you care about. It causes vinyl and leather to CRACK eventually.. I can't say what it would do to Aluminum, but if it's a problem in one way, there must be an ingredient not good.
IF whoever has the 83 Excella ever found out what teh ingredients are...please share it here.
Thanx...
Old 04-01-2002, 03:06 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Ok...now I've read 'em all...
Do NOT use DAWN you say Jack...???? Liquid HAND dishwashing soap..? Ok.. well, I did on recommendations from Airstreamers and it was very gentle.

I'm going to ask my son about this...because he uses nothing but the best (on Porsches, Mercedes, BMWs, Lamborgini s, etc. ?? & he uses Mother's products almost exclusively. But, to WASH the car, he uses something gentle...and I'll ask.

Just don't use Armoral 'leather/vinyl conditioner' (the one that creates a SHINE on them)....That's the one that causes cracking in time (never EVER use on TIRES). My son uses something to make the tires look like BRAND NEW too.

So......watch for a post from me tomorrow or the next day...when I've gotten his feed-back on this.

& I WILL not use "DAWN" again, until after you write back telling me why...
Old 04-01-2002, 08:02 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Cat,
I wasn't saying positively don't use Dawn. I was just trying to get clarified what is proper since I have heard conflicting recommendations. As noted in an earlier post I heard don't use products which have a petroleum products in them, (many car wash liquids do, as a tar and grease remover), others say don't use products with an ammonia product (check Dawn and other dishwashing products and you will see an ammonia derivative as an additive).

As far as the tires go, its the petroleum base products that can cause tire cracking. At a tire seminar I went to last spring I was told to use "303" as a tire dressing. It has no petrolium in its makeup. I found this product at Camping World and use it on my tires.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-01-2002, 12:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Hello All,
Looking at the Armor All bottle the only ingredient listed is sodium aryl sulfonate, I have no idea what it is.

John
Old 04-01-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have used Armor All or similiar product on rubber trim for many years, to no ill effect, never seen any cracking. I do prefer using "Hide Food" by Connally leather for the interior vinyl/ or leather as it really preserves it. I also have found the Lexol products also to be terrific for vinyl, and leather.
I have owned an older Porsche for many years and the trim, vinyl,dash etc. on it is like new. I should say though,I don't spray any Armorall or similiar stuff near the aluminum on the Airstream.
I have used non- silicon spray, applied to a cloth and wiped on the exterior vinyl/ rubber trim.
I use tire dressing on the tires. There are also sun block tire dressings available from Camping World, and similiar outlets.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:14 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
John,
I just sent an email off to Armor All regarding their car wash product and their original protection liquid. I'll post their response.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-01-2002, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good idea- I have been using their car wash.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:28 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Alan,
I just bought some over the weekend with plans to use it on the trailer. I normally use Turtle Wax Zip car wash liquid for my car and tow vehicle. I buy a big bottle when I'm at Sam's. I know it has a petroleum base since it will remove fresh tar quite easily.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-01-2002, 01:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
So is the petroleum harmful to the aluminum?
Old 04-01-2002, 03:27 PM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
No. From what I have heard, petroleum and ammonia based products dry out the Plastik Coat and cause cracking.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-02-2002, 08:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Well that nixes the armor all wash stuff- guess I will go with Ivory liquid? Or what else do you suggest?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Alan,
The jury is still out on the Armor All car wash product. We will see once they contact me. As far as the dishwashing liquid goes, I haven't found one yet that is free of ammonia. But I'm not the expert here which was why I started this thread to begin with. I would feel much better if A/S responded to my multiple email requests for further information. I guess I can pick up the phone and call them and get the answer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-02-2002, 10:46 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jack,

Here is a toll free number I found for Airstream

(877) 596-6505 it rings as the airstream tech support line.

Good luck

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:56 PM   #20
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
I was at an RV Parts department today, saw a 42 foot motorhome -- late model --- HUGE Puppy...! Black rubber window seals, and the BLACK runs down the sides of the WHITE exterior ALL THE TIME (they told me). They said it's a big problem with all MH owners. It never happens to me with the A/S...(another perk apparently).

I was very interested in that toll-free number you gave for A/S...It will be a 'first' for me---because up until now, I have been told there is no toll-free number for them.

I have an A/S guy who I think gives out the best A/S advise, and I would ask him....his dealership is in California and has a toll-free number too. 1-800-877-7311, ask for Andy (not the Andy of this website).

Those black 'runs' down the sides of that big MH sure make me glad I have an Airstream...but aren't there a lot of A/Ss that don't have the Aluminum skin now?

The jury is still out on 'Dawn'....I'm waiting and will report what I find out. What I'm most interested in is what those ingredients will do to the "finish' of the Aluminum (is it Acrylic?). The CLEAR finish. The deterioration of that coating could be so slow that you wouldn't notice it until it was all GONE...right?

........Cat