Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2002, 09:46 AM   #1
hex

Question Fan-Tastic fan??? definition needed

What is a "Fan-Tastic" fan with rain sensor?

I read a thread where these are around $400 bux!

What Why and Where are they used?

Bobby W there's another one for your Glossary.
thanks,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

check out this link

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...fm?skunum=8980
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Here is their Homepage:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/

Highly recommended by many RV owners. Available in 3 models.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
400 bux

Camping world had the FF with rain sensor on sale for < $300 this summer.

In general the vent has a efficient 3 speed reversible 12 inch fan mounted in a 14 inch vent opening. It moves a lot of air. One fan can easily cool a < 30 foot RV. The rain sensor closes the top when it rains, allowing you to leave the vent open while away.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 06:27 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
And it works, like magic

I have two of these fans in my International. The rear fan has a variable-speed cpntrol on the wall and the front fan (over the bed) has a 3-speed switch on the fan and a thermostat on the wall.

When it is cool enough here for no AC, I set the rear fan to blow in at fairly slow speed and the fan over the bed to blow out at the lowest speed; all windows closed. There are no drafts, that way, just a gentle breeze the length of the trailer. When it cools off enough at night, the fan over the bed turns itself off and the cover closes. The rear fan stays on, but doesn't afffect anything.

If it rains during the night, they both turn off and close. I had to test this to trust it, but they work like magic. Unless it is a flash downpour, long before there is enough rain to hurt anything, the fans turn off and the covers close. After the rain stops and a few minutes delay, the covers open and the fans go on again.

I would worry about a flash downpour, though, since it takes some time for the cover to close. This could be especially bad with the one fan located right over the bed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
hex

A few more dome-fan questions

Thanks for the replies.
These things sound great, sorta like the attic fan that I grew up under. Plus a weatherman and a butler built in.

However I am shocked at the price.
Do yall reckon that it is primarily due to the rain sensor feature?
(That feature by the way sounds pretty mechanically fragile)Is it possible to close vent manually in case of malfunction with auto-closer?

Did the stock domes have fans? If so were they reversable?

Is there another company with a similar product?
Lastly are these things 12 v and 110 ?

Would yall reccomend DIYer installation?
Wonder what a shop would charge to install?
Old 09-10-2002, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Try this

Fantastic fan link

You can also search under "fantastic fan" for more info

They are probably the best fan, so they are expensive. I have heard of people having problems and they send replacement parts shipping paid and no real questions. I have never heard anyone complain about poor customer service.

Only 12v operation, not all of them have rain sensors and are quite a bit cheaper without.

My SOB motorhome has a power vent, the fan is about 4" diameter and you know it is running because it probably turns 4500 rpm (noisy), is not reversible (only exhausts, or is designed to exhaust; really just makes noise)

I have 2, installed both myself. The biggest thing is being careful not to damage the roof. If you are at all mechanical and have basic tools it is pretty simple. Not a direct replacement because of the opening size, but not that bad.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Manual operation

To operate the dome mamually, you just pull out on the knob to disengage the motor.

As posted elsewhere, their customer service is terrific.

I didn't trust mine until I worked inside the trailer for an intermittently rainy afternoon. Each time I heard rain of the roof, ddown came the dome covers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I installed a Maxx-Air dome over my Fantastic fan. It still allows the dome to open and the fan to operate without the worry of rain getting into the rv. You can view these at Camping World or Maxx-Air. Also, make certain you specify the model 800 as it has a screen covering the opening to keep the critters out.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I don't have the rain sensor units nor is the airflow reversable on the two that I have. They are three speed and they do have thermostatic control so you don't get frozen out on real cool nights. I consider them one of the best investments to add to a travel trailer.

What we do at times is leave the front unit on and use the thermostatic control to operate the back unit with the fan master switch turned off. If it gets cool I set the unit with the running fan to shut off first. If it gets even cooler the back unit with the fan off will close the cover. Pretty nifty.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
I have had a MaxxAir and now a Fantastic Fan. The MaxxAir was the largest, reversable 3-speed offered. I thought it was the cat's meow at the time, now I have a Fantastic Fan my thoughts have changed. I have the 3-speed, reversable, rain sensor, themostat controlled model. It is quiet, the rain sensor works perfectly, the themostat is wonderful and the fan moves more air. I go to sleep with the fan on, thermostat set to my preference and when it gets colder at night or it rains, the fan shuts down and/or closes the vent. It only costs a few dollars more than the MaxxAir, but it is well worth it. I only have one in the living area of my 25' Safari, but by opening back windows and front windows the air is moved through-out the trailer. I would not have any trailer or M/H that did not have at least one installed. By-the-way, it is so efficient that I haver never had to operate it at anything other than the lowest speed.

Brian
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:27 AM   #12
hex

Question Maxx vs Fan-Tastic

Brian is the Maxx-air the one with the hood-scoop looking cap?(turbo-Maxx I think)
They say it can be run when it is raining?
Although it looks to me like rain would splash/bounce into the cowl, I would think that running it during a rain would be helpful on a hot night.

why did you remove the Maxx-air?
If it was fan burnout..how longdid it last, and were parts not available?
thanks
Old 09-20-2002, 06:16 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
Hex,
Yes it is a TurboMaxx. It will run while raining, in fact I left the vent open all the time. The only time I closed it was when I winterized. I had the TurboMaxx on a different unit that I sold.
I never had any problems with rain coming in the hood. On my new Airstream, I elected to put on a Fantastic Fan. As I said I like the Fantastic Fan more. Both are good products.

Brian
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Just to clear the air<grin>

Quote:
I read a thread where these are around $400 bux!
This price reflects the cost of the product and, the labor charge by A/S factory.
'If I had done the work myself, it could've been done for less than 300$
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 06:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Parts are available for the Maxxair. They make fine products. Even a replacement housing for your beatup Coleman A/C unit. Every RV/Trailer supplier sells them.

http://www.maxxair.com/

But here is my .02cents opinion. I think they look great on "Other Brand Trailers", but I think they look out of place on an Airstream trailer and ruin the aerodynamic lines. JMHO.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:37 AM   #16
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Unhappy AIRSTREAM bathroom FAN

...come on.. is [U]everyone[U] on here in a different income-brackette from me...?? ?.I just want to fix the one I have...
Please remember this little lady is working on a shoestring...;p
anyway, someone once told me it's cheaper to fix it....and it's probably the motor...

SOoooooooooooooooooooooo does anyone know how to test it?---the Airstream stock fan? how to repair it?

... like all the posts I read on this thread are recommending the newer ones,,,the "FANtastic" one that I posted about.. What about the stock Airstream fan, with the straight wood handle that 'twists' the fan to open and turn on....? That's what I have...and I don't want to spoil my 'record' of repairing what's 'stock' anyway.

.............Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Bathroom Fan

CAT,
I recently fixed mine..It was perhaps like yours as well since my A/S is an 84. There's several things you might need. One, is the fan blade assy. Reason, it's made out of nylon and the ol' sun's UV has wrecked havoc with it. It'll probably just crumble to the touch. The motor may just be stuck from lack of use, if you're lucky~!
This is what I did. First, I position a ladder next to the bathroom window, so I could reach the exhaust fan cap. It has two screws that need to be removed. Set this cap aside as you'll need to refinis it later. you'll now see the exposed fan blade assy. Be very careful in pullin this up off the motor's shaft. You'll want to keep it as a guide for pickin up a replacement. Now the motor is exposed to you, I found mine covered completely with TX RED DIRT. I then cleaned the motor completely, leaving it mounted still in it's location. Put a few drops of WD-40 oil on the shaft and, then with a pair of plier, work the shaft back and forth until it was moving. Then, I got my D/W to turn the switch on and off in the bathroom until we got it running again. a few more drops of oil and start/stop.This fixed the stuck motor. Now for the hard part. I couldn't find the exact replacement fan assy to use so, I went to a local RV dealer and, in searching he found a fan assy that was used in a furnace unit that matched the one that I had in my hands. Two exceptions, the new one was black(UV inhibitor?) and, the ole stlye "D" radio dial shaft hole was slightly bigger. This I filled in with spring clip to create the sideward pressure needed to hold it in place. I then filled in the rest of the space with VULKUM, to seal it tight. let it cure for several days before even testing the fan~ !! The fan cap that was taken off first now needs to be redone. If you look on the inside lip, you should see where you once had a rubber seal. If it's like mine at all, it's gone completely~ Go to Lowe's or Home Depo and, pick up some rubber seal. It has the stickies on one side. While you're there, pick up some stainless steel screws and new fastner to replace that which is rusted out on yours. Look for some small flat washers and rubber gromets to push the screws thru . I put the flat washer on the screw first, with the rubber gromet to be against the fan's cap surface. This will make it water tight~! Once you got it back together..JUST WAIT A FEW DAYS TO LET THE SEAL CURE.. you should be back in business...GOOD LUCK~!!
I hope that this has made it easier for you~!
ciao
note: there are pictures posted on the member's foto section of what this looks like..If not let me know and I can post some others.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:14 PM   #18
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
1984 Bathroom Fan

Thank you...I don't know what your 'moniker'..is???
I'm out the door for an old-fashioned milkshake...but read your post and think it's GREAT...*'m going to print it out...but will read it better when I get online again, and respond more 'in kind'...

Thank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH!! Ho'w's it working now???
Old 10-06-2002, 03:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Ref:

CAT,
It works flawlessly now. The main thing was, in my research, discovered that the exact motor wasn't available, only a replacement. It's not the same~as the originial but I have it. If you need a replacement motor and fan blade assy. Because it was slightly different in size, it would've meant some modify'in of the bracket that holds it in place, etc.
ciao
Moniker: refers to a PERLCOMMAND...lol, or URL.. I've add that to my profile. Thanks for the catch.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:11 PM   #20
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Monikers & Fan Motors

Hi... so, does that mean you'll sell me your OLD motor and fan? & I would want it why? .
& your "Moniker" what is a PERLCOMMAND?

>>...lol, or URL.. I've add that to my profile. Thanks for the catch.<<

what did I catch? LOL do we call you "Perl"..?

Re the Bathroom FAN...:

Your reply made me think of my "Nu-Tone" center in the counter-top...When I took it in to the dealer to have the motor rebuilt..because all accessories for this little GEM are now 'extinct' and if you find any,,,you'd better get 'em, b/c you'll never get 'em again,,, so...the guy said to me "There's nothing wrong with your motor...it's good."...and I said, "but, if it did seize up, could I find a replacement?"..."probably not", he replied... "My point exactly...(says I),,,please just rebuild the motor"...& he did, and i will have it 'serviced' annually as long as I have Bear.

Could the shower motor be like that? Even if it runs, rebuilding it could extend the life?????