Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
Rob
2 Rivet Member

Fan installation

I recently purchased my trailer and have plunged into the restoration and remodel.
I want to stop any further damage from water leaks. I purchased Fan-Tastic fans to replace the old ones.
I read in another thread about the correct sealant to use. How about a description on how to remove the old ones and install the new? Can it be done from inside? I don't want to walk on the roof.
Thanks for all the info. these forums have saved me time and money.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Get ready to walk on the roof.

The vertical rivet lines on the side of the trailer are ribs that go all the way around. If you get a piece of plywood or a wide 2x long enough to span the 2 ribs by the vent you can sit on it to work. Put an old blanket under it to protect the skin. Everything between the ribs is thin aluminum skin and will bend easily.

The vent will probably be full of sealer and screwed to the skin. If it has been leaking PO's have probably piled on a ton of sealer(s) to stop the leak. It will take a lot of scraping to get to the screws, and the heads will be full. Once you get them all out a sharp putty knife will help release it, tap it back with a hammer to cut the sealer between the skin and vent. The skin won't take much prying.

I put one on each end of my motorhome, they are great. You are loosing a leak and getting a great air mover all at once.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You will need to get on the roof as the old fans are flanged and riveteted to the roof itself.

Use a ladder against the awning roller and stay on the ribs (Identified by rivet lines) There are not many ribs in the curved ends so I would avoid those sections and stay on the roof. You may want to spread a blanket and places a sheet of plywood to offer more spread out support.

There is a sealant that is currently covering this joint, you will need to remove some of it to get to the flange, a putty knife works well.

The next part is the scariest and if you are not comfortable doing it I would reccomend getting a pro to do the install. There are 2 ways to remove the vent 1. Drill out the rivets that hold the vent to the skin and using the putty knife cut the sealant between the roof and the vent flange to remove it from the trailer. Or 2. Take a fairly heavy duty Paint scraper type of flat tool and POUND it between the roof sheet and the flange at each rivet to cut the rivets that are holding the old vent in. ( this is the way the Fantastic vent guys do it) Once you have the old vent out install the new vent using SilkaFlex?? to seal it to the skin following the provided instructioins.

It has been 8 years since I have done this, there may be others with better de-installation ideas on the old vents.

Most of all be safe and go slow.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Walk the line

Rob..
I just had two 'Fantastic Fans' 6000A models installed in my A/S. One was installed in the rear bedroom and, the other in the front. I elected to have the work done at the A/S factory in Ohio. The following is what I observed while the work was in progress.
Yes, there's no way around it, as the others have said..You'll have to get on top to remove the sealet thats all over the old vent and, to drill out the old rivets as well. This is the part that I witness that may well be unique to each unit.
After the old vent assy was removed, the guy went to work 'cutting' the old hole to accept the new Fantastic Fan. (I'm still finding small silver of metal) I've posted several times on other threads abt the sealet that was used between the fan unit and the skin by A/S and, still get ?? from people. I'd say use what you want but, this sikaflex is what A/S used on my job. Because they did charged me for it, I have the part# as well as the name on my work sheet. The time it took A/S to do the job, per fan installation, was 3 hours each. I honestly don't see how it could be done much faster. Do they work? Was it worth it? Yes~!!
Good luck to you and, be sure to take photos of work in progress.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I hope that Brett is right (he probably is, it amazes me what he knows about all the different AS) and that the vent is riveted on. Between my AC pan and vents, there had to be 300 screws to dig out. If they are rivets it is a breeze. I have a heavy stiff putty knife (more like a gasket scraper) that I have sharpened and it works great as he described to cut rivets. Go around the whole vent and lift it out.

John
Old 09-01-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
FYI- Camping World if you are near one, charges 55 dollars to install a fantastic fan. Plus the cost of the fan of course.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fan

Hi Rob:

I installed a new Fan-Tastic fan in my 31 ft 79 A/S this summer.

It isn't difficult. Everyone has told you how to do it. We used a wood chisel to cut the rivets as they are aluminum and cut very easy. We used a silicon based sealant on both sides of the casket supplied with the fan.

You should have a pair of aviation snips for trimming the opening.
Mostly what has to be trimmed is the corners as they are quite rounded.

Good luck and you will like the fan.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 11:13 PM   #8
Rob
2 Rivet Member

Thanks a bunch guys.
I'll probably build some sort of platform from 2x4 and plywood since it sounds like I'll be up there a few hours. Maybe I'll put a cup holder on it, ok I won't get crazy.
I have been taking pictures but don't have a digital camera, suppose I could scan them.
Thanks again, Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Rob;

Keep taking those pictures. A how-to photo spread for installing a Fanatatic Fan would be "Fanatastic"! I would really like to encourage you to post your photos for others to see how to do this project from start to finish.

Best Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #10
Finally Retired

, Washington
We had our done at the Rapid City Rally by the Fantastic Fan Folks they did it in 20 minuted with one gyt on top and the other inside. They said they did 190 at that rally alone, they travel around to differant shows. They told us Camper world would not have done ours (we had a appointment for when we got back) because it is a 83 they only install on newer AS. They charged us $50. and gave us a hat and cutting board. It works great and I know had I done it myself after watching them I WOULD hve cut through a wire.
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fan/Vent Install

I have been following this thread re: installing a Fantastic Fan/Vent and I plan on doing this myself either this fall or next spring. I wanted to make certain that after removing the rivet heads that surround the original fan (on trailer roof) do I use sikaflex to caulk the FF into place and do not have to re-install the removed rivets or do I have to replace the rivets that I removed to get the original fan out? Thanks, AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The only rivets you have to remove hold the vent in. When you get on top and look at it you will see a flange that mounts it to the roof. The rivets through here come out. The new fan won't line up with the old holes, but they should be under the new flange and sealed by it.

John