Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Floor Cancer Documentary

Yes I am proud to say i have been infected with AIRSTREAM FEVER! This is the only floor rot I have found outside the bathroom of my 1980 Excella II Rear Bath. I feel confident in replacing the wood but I pray for guidance from my fellow 'Streamers about what do do with this rusty frame. Also I am wondering what the best method of finding the leak is? This rotten spot is on the road side just forward of the "big window".
I have been seeing condensation between the glass panes of the window. When I took the window trim off last night I noticed that the caulking around the window had a little drops of water hanging from it. I know the old TV antenna is leaking and thats on my list of things to do but I am not sure of the location of this leak. I will be using this Silver Bullit to live in at Worksites for a Commercial Electrical company and the mildew has really made me sick in the past (ive lived in it for 3 years already). Planning to go out west with her and attend some rallys too............more later since my camera batteries have died.....this will be an ongoing project (my first airstream) So far i have romoved and clean the furnace and have determined it needs a Borad (big surprise there huh?) and have replaced the capacitors in the univolt. Took the goucho out last night and here I am. What should I do about this rust? its hard to see in the picture but it does actually go thru the frame rail...
Attached Images

jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Insulation was wet under here
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Probably Por-15 would be the way to go. All you would have to do is scrape the heavy rust off, and wire brush, then you are good to go. Unless you want to sandblast and prime.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

My guess would be the window as the water entry point. You may want to revisit the window gasket.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Thanks for the replies..............tomorrow i am going to remove the interior wall panel above the window and see what it looks like up there. more pictures to come!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
RUSTY FRAME BLUES

Hard to see in this picture but the rust you see here isnt surface rust, its actually rusted thru........how bad is this in reality? I came into this area to fix the rotted out floor under the gaucho armrest and this is what i found.........is this a weld it or die situation or can i wire brush, paint and get back to it later? I MUST use this AS to go out of town to a job site in.......whats the belly skin going to attach to if there is no metal there to rivet it to? IDEAS PLEASE!
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2004, 04:44 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jjones,
You are just around the corner from me...and in the same boat. If the frame is rusted completely thru you are going to have to weld something in there to restore the structural strength of it. If it is just the bottom part or top part of the frame, I would consider a thorough cleaning, rust treatment, then welding a "C" channel repair section over the damaged area. However! if you have that bad a damage there it is likely there will be similar damage somewhere else? I am dealing with front end rot in the same place as you on my 1975, but just not as severe. I need my unit for out of town work too. I work for a national roofing contractor based in Apex. PM or email me and we can swap phone numbers and emails...misery loves company

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

jjonesnc I doubt that it is "weld or die" and I think (given the small amount of evidence I have) that you could travel now and fix later.

Is the pic of the frame or of a cross member?
It looks like the belly is still on. Did you just stick the camera down thru a hole from above?

Assuming the rust out is from the water leak you have ID'ed, the breadth of it may be confined to the area you pictured, (We Hope).
You will really never know until you open up the belly. (Not a small job)(but not monumental either).
Assuming you only have upper access right now, then you will not be able to wire-brush much rust, Only one side of frame perhaps.

Here is what I would do. Brush what you can, but dont remove it down to bare metal. You need a layer of rust for this solution.
Buy some OSPHO. (call a sherwin-williams store or other paint store. Lowes sells a similar product (different name) but I dont know its success). OSPHO is very liquid, it is an acid that chemically reacts with iron oxide and changes it to iron phosphate. But you must have rust (iron oxide) present to effect the reaction. Rig up some method , mustard squeeze bottle, pump up sprayer, sling-shot , whatever. And saturate the area of frame/outrigger. This will buy you at least 6-8 weeks of sound sleep. OSPHO after the reaction, acts as an ideal primer, but you might not want to paint over it until you get a better idea of what is going on under there. The rust will eventually come back in spite of the OSPHO if conditions allow.
OSPHO is mildly dangerous and minor precautions need to be followed, I have had it on my hands and no problem if washed off fairly soon. Last I bought was around 20 dollars a gallon. The Lowes stuff comes in quarts. If I find name of that product I'll edit and add it to this post.(EDIT: Jasco Prep & Primer 6.00 a quart).
OSPHO by the way is heavily used along the coasts in the offshore oil and plant maintenance and painting industries. Great stuff.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Chuck,
are are some additional photos of the area and a picture of what my future plans are. No i havent removed all of the belly skin yet but will be soon. My budget doesnt allow for any welding at this time so i guess ill have to do some rust converting as you suggested.
My long range planes will be like the pictures below to extend the frame to allow a generator and motorcycle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramp2.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	5123  
Old 03-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
the first pic is of the completed project on an AS......this is of the welded up frame.......
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
the specific area im dealing with........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0173.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	5125  
Old 03-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
specific area........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0174.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	5126  
Old 03-09-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Rotten Floor Culprit Revealed

OK here is the culprit of my rotten floor...the seam on frame of the "big window"
I have no clue how to fix this.
HELP PLEASE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window seam.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	5130  
Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Rotten Floor Culprit Revealed

Ok here is the culprit of my rotten floor under the curbside Gaucho armrest.....the seam on the frame of the "big window"
I have no idea how to fix this. PLEASE HELP MY BELOVED AS
Old 03-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You have 3 choices IMHO.

One is to vulcem it from the inside. The vulcem will stop the leak, but it looks like it needs to be repaired.

The other is to find a welding guy that does aluminum. The welding scares me a bit because if he gets to the skin he could blow it out, creating a hole. If he is good it will be a nice strong leak proof weld.

OR

You could remove the window form the trailer, have it welded and reinstall it. This would return the strength, not chance the skin and be sure the leak stays fixed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Wow! That is kewl! But I'd hate to see what it does to the running gear/trailer balance, not to mention tongue weight.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Thanks Kidd for the response.
So then i should take the window out and take the glass out correct? where would I get a new window seal from?
-Jason
Old 03-10-2004, 05:02 AM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would remove the glass, should just be a matter of taking the the pane past vertical and it will "fall" out of the hinge, be prepared!

The seal can be bought from any Airstream dealer by the foot.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Clean out the crud to oil free and vulchem it. Had a acess hatch frame doing that and it cured it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
in the beginning......

just starting the restoration........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	myrig.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	35.8 KB