Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Dome-Vent Lid repair

Repairing dome-vent lids.

Need to remove the lids and drill out rivets and replace the translucent center piece.

Can this be accomplished from inside or must one get on the roof?

i.e. can I get them down from inside? I know I'll have to place on a bench to drill .

Any recomends for the replacement material?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jaco,
I will have to take mine off from up top. I don't see any way to get them off from down below. I am going to replace two of mine with Fantastic Fans....one of these days It looks to me like a small piece of 1/8" Lexan would work for the replacement pieces, just make sure to use plenty of Vulkem ...oh yeah and balance the running gear

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There are some old threads on this topic in the archives. Try a search on "vent cover".

Not knowing the model and year of you coach, I am assuming you have the Hehr vents with the pexiglas inserts? If so, they come apart from inside. However, you have to get up on top to lift it off as it will not come down through the opening.

I suggest Lexan, rather than pexiglass.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
been there

On my 74 I replaced the plastic portions with aluminum. Used olympic rivets to fasten them, also replaced the inner lense with aluminum, the dual panes give you some thermal advantages. Didn't really care for whatever light filtered down thru them. To take them off you will need to remove the 1/4" bolts on each of the lift arms, then get on the roof and get them. Check and see if the springs are still there, the springs at the ends of the lift arms. They tilt the lid to the front when it is partly raised, lets you tow with the vents partially cranked open. Without them your vent lids will go bye-bye. They are also left and right specific.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The PO of my trailer riveted in a sheet of aluminum rather than lexan or similiar material.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Vintage Vent Caps

Not knowing the age of your rig might determine whether they can be removed from the inside of the trailer. I've taken mine off from the inside. Just have to turn it catty-corner to get it to fit. I also made the rectangular vent cover out of two pieces of Lexan with angle aluminum at the edges. I suppose I could post a picture and diagram if persuaded to.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

My trailer is a 74 Excella.
Don't know if they are Hehr brand.
I don't mind going up top to gather them. I just didn't want to have to be up and down numerous times to remove them since I will be working solo.

Am hoping that a brand is stamped somewhere so I can know for reference purposes. Also interested in the springs that Chas mentioned. Hope to get a photo of those.

Thanks for all replies.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jaco,

Your 74 should have the Hehr brand vents unless a PO change them out. The springs are in between the arms that raise the cover. Small circular wire springs that will take off if you don't keep an eye on them. Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I did it on my '73, which is probably exactly the same as your 74. The deteriorated plastic-sunlight-thingamajig was only on the forward vent; the other 2 are solid. there is a factory fan in this forward vent, as well, which really makes it impossible to get at the vent from inside the trailer, so I did it from the roof. But you only have to get up there twice; once to take it off, and once to put it back on!

I replaced the center piece w/ a piece of aluminum that I bought from HD. cut it to fit..taped it to the vent, then flipped it over and used the old rivet holes to make marks with the new ones. then I drilled them out, smeared a goodly bead of parbond around the outside, and used probably 2 dozen olympic rivets to fasten it together. seems like overkill, but I had to fill those holes in with something.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote