Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question HELP PART NEEDED! Aluminum Termination Cap...

Okay folks...here's one for you ~

We are in desperate need of an original aluminum termination cap, which is located downstream of the dump valve, for our '64 GlobeTrotter. We have the original elbow for dumping, but are missing the blank cap for driving.

We have already tried all the different Valterra & other miscellaneous fittings at Camping World & searched through the local RV Parts yard to no avail...none of them attach properly (gap/leak free) to the elbow. We don't want to change out the whole assembly, but may have to in the end...no pun intended!

Please let us know if you have this part laying around or you have any other ideas, suggestions or solutions...

Thanks!

Shari & Rob
'64 GlobeTrotter "Maxwell"
WBCCI #1824
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
My 68 Globe Trotter did not have a blank cap to fit on the dump valve. Every one I found would leak. I fixed the problem by cutting a thicker gasket and gluing it in place on an aftermarket cap.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Have you tried the Thetford blank caps? They are a slightly different size than the Valterra's. If your elbow is white, that will clue you in as Thetford fittings are usually white. Cheers!

Patrick
Old 05-01-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is your valve white? Does it attach with a 4 bolt flange to the black tank? If it does it is a Thetford.

My 65 Globetrotter uses a Thetford dump valve. I found an exact replacement new at a shop here in Houston. The only way I found it was because I had the black tank out during the floor replacement. I threw the whole thing and the drain line in the truck and took it up to the shop. We grabbed a stack of valves and after trial and error matched it exactly. The number did not even come close to the original.

Thetford had changed the model number sometime over the years.

I also have a bucket of Thetford fittings that came with the GT when I bought it. I will go through it tonight and find the cap and number for you.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Follow-up...

Thanks guys!

We tried the Valterra, Thetford and all the "no name" brands too...

Andy from Inland RV has informed me that this part is called a "fry pan" and is no longer available new...hasn't been for 30 years. I'm hoping to find an old one & avoid the nasty job of changing out to the "new" fitting style (post '65, they changed them in '65) which Thetford, Valterra & the others fit.

Shari
Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The ongoing saga...

I had a moment of hope...a kind soul sent me on of his caps to check out...to no avail

So I'm back at it ~ trying to track a cap down again!

Here's a picture of the fitting on "Maxwell", the inside diameter is 2-7/8" the outside diamater is 3-3/8" and the tabs that stick out are 4" in diameter...I also added a picture to the original thread posting of a "twin" to my missing cap. It was sent to me by another kind Airstreamer, just so I would know what I'm looking for.

I've had an offer to custom machine one...but I'm not there yet...

Shari
'64 GlobeTrotter
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Sewer drain cap

Shari,
Have you considered using a pvc pipe cap and cutting it to fit? and you could probably make and glue a gasket for the inside.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Yes John, we have considered alternate solutuions, but we really would like to find an original aluminum cap, for originality sake.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Shari
Old 08-15-2002, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shari.
That original metal cover was called a "fry pan."
It hasn't been around for 30 years or more.
Most owners have converted to the newer Thetford systems.
Good luck with a hunt.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
fry pan

Yes but would'nt that work until you did find an original?

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
John, Andy et al~

I realize this is an obsolete part and most people have switched over to the current Thetford configuration, but I am still hoping to find an original aluminum one. Maybe someone who has "switched over" can part with their old "fry pan"...

For now, we are fine...we have been using full hook-ups and don't have any leaks, so it's more just wanting to have one for the sake of having one. I'm not easily discouraged and until we make the commitment to change over to something permanantly I'm still on a quest. We have considered all the alternatives...and when we give up looking we will "go with one" of them. In the meantime we are Still Looking...

Shari
Old 08-16-2002, 04:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I would be willing to bet that one will show up. I would do what you did and keep going go back to your thread that you listed above and make a note in it that you will come back and tell us when you find it. That way the message will get bumped to the top every so often.

People are going through the old messages all the time, especially the newer members. I beleive when you originally posted the request, we only had just past 300 members. At this time we are over 600 members. Someone will have one in a box stuffed in a cabinet and be wondering what it is.

Good Luck and Best Regards
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Hey Shari, you may be in luck (so to speak) I had the samething happen, termination cap went south on my '62 Overlander. Mine had a handle on it, did yours at on time? Either way, as a Patternmaker, I have been considering making a pattern and having them cast NOS. I figured we are not the only ones without. Would you be interested in a NOS part? Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Oscar!

I don't mean to be a dummy...but what does NOS mean? (new old stock?) I think I might be interested though...if it would fit our existing connection. I would imagine that a '62 & a '64 would be the same...from what I understand, it was '65 when they changed over to the "standard" that is still used today.

As far as it having a "handle"...I don't know if it had one or not. We never actually had a cap, we just got our GT in January and it didn't have one then...must have been lost somewhere along the way in it's 38+ years of travels.

We have seen one original cap on another '64 GlobeTrotter at a rally, it's the one I have the picture of. The owner sent me the photo to help in my search after the rally. I don't remember a "handle" per se, maybe a "ridge" to hold onto when you screw it on and a chain was attached to it, I don't recall. Actually, the owner of that one has said I could borrow it if I want to have a mould made or a new one milled...I just don't know how to go about doing that...let me know if you do know how and how expensive this might be.

Shari

P.S. Being that you are in NM, are you planning on attending the Balloon Fiesta Rally? Maybe we could hook up there...
Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Hi Shari,

Yes, NOS means new old stock. My dump valve is vertical under the belly which is why mine had a handle. Yours "appears" to be horizontal therefore not needing a handle do to easy access. Valve dimensions are the same on both.
Cost I don't think would be severe as I have an "in" with a couple of foundries. I wouldn't charge for my time to build patterns as I need one (and a spare, just incase) also. I will need two more shots of your cap, a side view and a bottom view. I'm sure it probably is the same as mine without a handle but it pays to be safe, plus I'm not sure where your chain hooks to on the cap. Mine is chained from the handle.
Sorry, won't be making the Ballon Fest, our next (and probably last for the year) will be to Ruidoso for the car show-chile roast-arts and craft fest on the 5th.

If there is anyone else out there that is interested in these styles of caps let me know, it's easier to have one order than 10 different ones. Foundry schedules can be screwy. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Great Oscar!

Let me work on getting additonal photos...I don't have the cap so I either have to hook-up with the owner or ask him to photo it for me...I'll let you know what I come up with. Also, let's give at bit of time to see if anyone else might be interested...

I appreciate your efforts ~

Shari

P.S. Sorry you won't make it to the Balloon Fiesta, altough the one you are going to sounds like fun too! I LOVE New Mexico chilies!
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Shari - my 64GT still has its cap - so let me know if you need pictures or to borrow it!
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:39 AM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
HELP PART NEEDED

Hi Shari

Wanted to reply to your post because we too are looking for a part and thought - hmm maybe get two birds with one stone! You said you checked the local RV yard. Was that Cherokee RV&Parts, by chance? If so, and you had no luck- there is another located in MO. toll free # is 877 548 2125, named Colaw RV Salvage. They are dismantling old trailers and selling parts.

We are looking for the door handle for the inside of our outside door. (is that confusing or what???) Our outside door has the original GM flush mount, recessed handle lock with key on the outside to open. Everything is there except the handle-door knob-whatever to open the door from the inside. If anyone knows if we can find an original piece or suitable replacement, I would really apprciate it. Neither of the above mentioned RV salvage yards had it. Thanks a bunch*** Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Door Handle

Leigh,
I think I have what you need.....I replaced my door lock assembly as the old one was chewed to peices - don't ask me why, it just came that way when we bought the trailer. Is what you are looking for a "lever" that you pull up to open the door from the inside? I happened to keep the old lever - it didn't make it into the trash can when I threw the old lock away - I saw it on the ground yesterday! I'll take a photo later and post it. There is also a post that screws into the lock that goes up and down that locks the door from the inside. I don't have this piece (it was missing off the old lock), but I suppose one cound find a non-pointy screw or bolt that would fit the threads to make this feature work. Let me know -
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 01:22 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
HELP PART NEEDED -door handle

Mark - I think you might be an angel in disguise!!? I am pretty sure that what you have is what we need. It is going to help to see your picture. We also have pictures of the lock assembly - both from outside the door and inside. I will also attempt to attach the picture here, I have not done that before, so who knows?? Like I said, all is there except this handle/lever (I don't know what it looked like, but there is a piece of metal sticking out of the lock assembly that this must fit (screw?) on to. If this turns into a match, please let me know what the particulars would be to connect and retrieve. I LOVE this place!!! Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote