Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Chinese Goodyear Marathons

I've HAD IT- HAD IT with all the import crap out there. Just got back from the local Goodyear Store. I was looking for Marathons yup we got 8 of them in stock. Fine I say, where are they made? Well lets look yup all 8 China. O.K. I say what else you got Carlisle. Guess what Made in china also. I left Hell will freeze over before I put that crap on my AS. Good luck to all you getting new rigs- do the country a favor and refuse delivery until AS puts on some real rubber. And to top it all off when I went to the Hobby shop for parts for my R/C whirleybird they were closed.Guess I didn't need that chinese junk either. ANY OTHER AMERICANS OUT THERE?? Semper FI

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome to the club! There is nothing out there anymore that does not come from China, but think about it, where else can you get someone to work for $1.74 a day without benefits? I know, you and I have put our butts on the line for this country, but no matter where you go in this world, UK, Spain, France, Russia, they all have the same China stuff! As soon as the Chinese workers get smart (give them 10 years) all mfg. will leave China and be in some other country. We can't win this one.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
China may not be where you want your parts made, however it is a price sensitive market out there. And when the consumer votes with their dollar to buy cheaper, vendors are wondering where their sales went when the buyer goes to the competition. If the competitor gets their product from China and vendor has to make a decision to compete with the buyer. Either get out of that specific market, sell lesser quanities and deal with the objections of buyers over why price is so high, or join the others and build the product cheaper. (IE in China in this case)

One or two individuals won't make a difference. Tire dealers and manufacturers sell hundreds of tires daily.

Go to Michelin.
treads by application

I only suggest it because I don't think they are built in China. And they will be priced more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Thanks Action- Tell me something I don't know,

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
NAFTA

And remember back when China was 'awarded' Favored Trade Status
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Update

Well I changed out my 1995 marathons this week. Turned out to be a pain. Sometimes I think tire shops make money by accident. Anyway I ended up with Tow Masters from Canada. Supposedly they are a goodyear somethin or other. We'll see, It's gettin worse day by day. I wonder how much chinese crap is in the new trailers. DG

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
2 years ago Lynn and I wanted to buy our grandson a Radio Flyer wagon. About that time there was a news story that the manufacturer was closing their only Radio Flyer plant in Chicago. We search every store from Placerville (except 1) to Sacramento and to Oakland. Same Radio Flyer product same box all 'made in China' Now we do not have anything against China but RADIO FLYER WAGONS ARE AS AMERICAN AS.......and we weren't giving up! Now the happy search ending. We went into Hangtown Hardware in Placerville, the oldest hardware in the west, and by gum they had a few all made IN THE USA! Our grandson got his American made wagon and I kept the box. So there!

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Well not Marathons.....

The other day while I was remounting my wheels/rims at the storage building I took a few minutes and browsed the other units to see what types of tires the SOB's use. I saw several new 5th wheels that were using load range E Goodyear Wrangler HT's. Very nice looking, load capacity was like 2700lbs, Made In the USA!!l and an attractive tread.

I dont know why you would need a dedicated trailer tire as long as it met the load range and proper size. Check out the Goodyear website to see the HTs.

I have 6k on my Marathons (made in Canada), with good luck. They do however have some strange bulges at the point where the sidewall was put together.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Canary in the mine

The pet food fiasco should become a significant warning about the quality of goods coming from China. Bad gluten and melamine contamination results in lost lives of beloved cats and dogs. Who knows what unregulated "ingredient" could compromise the integrity of other goods--including tires?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I suffer the same frustration, Action, but does Michelin make a competing tire in the size and load capacity to replace the 225/75 R15 and 2540 lbs capacity without changing to 16 inch rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
China may not be where you want your parts made, however it is a price sensitive market out there. And when the consumer votes with their dollar to buy cheaper, vendors are wondering where their sales went when the buyer goes to the competition. If the competitor gets their product from China and vendor has to make a decision to compete with the buyer. Either get out of that specific market, sell lesser quanities and deal with the objections of buyers over why price is so high, or join the others and build the product cheaper. (IE in China in this case)

One or two individuals won't make a difference. Tire dealers and manufacturers sell hundreds of tires daily.

Go to Michelin.
treads by application

I only suggest it because I don't think they are built in China. And they will be priced more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Made in China / Greed

Hi, in my age group, we experienced the worst crap ever. [MADE IN JAPAN] But boy has that changed through out the years. Now everyone wants Japanese quality. Will the Chinese do the same? Who knows. But while makeing products elsewhere, cost, maybe 1/10th the price of made in USA, we continue to pay the same price. Conclusion: Corporate greed!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
i agree that something needs to be done, but what? we, as consumers want (and in most cases need) the best value we can get for our dollars. so the cost is high up on our list. then add to that the fact that (has been mentioned in this thread) it is next to impossible to find stuff made in the USA, and what other choice do we have. i think all of us would prefer to buy American, but we don't have that option in many cases. i wish i thought there was an easy answer, but i'm afraid we have let this get so far out of control that we may never be able to get it back. i certainly don't mean to be the profit of doom, i hope more than anything i'm wrong. please any suggestions?
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, in my age group, we experienced the worst crap ever. [MADE IN JAPAN] But boy has that changed through out the years. Now everyone wants Japanese quality. Will the Chinese do the same? Who knows. But while makeing products elsewhere, cost, maybe 1/10th the price of made in USA, we continue to pay the same price. Conclusion: Corporate greed!
I remember when the first Japanese cars were arriving. It was said that if you scratch the paint it would reveal a Budwieser label underneath. Like China today it was our steel that Japan used to manufacture their products. And yes we bought them and the quality improved. But for me quality Chinese products aren't here yet. Tires are too important to chance.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamers
i agree that something needs to be done, but what? we, as consumers want (and in most cases need) the best value we can get for our dollars. so the cost is high up on our list. then add to that the fact that (has been mentioned in this thread) it is next to impossible to find stuff made in the USA, and what other choice do we have. i think all of us would prefer to buy American, but we don't have that option in many cases. i wish i thought there was an easy answer, but i'm afraid we have let this get so far out of control that we may never be able to get it back. i certainly don't mean to be the profit of doom, i hope more than anything i'm wrong. please any suggestions?
I agree it maybe too late. I always shop for the best VALUE not the best price, but unfortunately the apparent human trait of greed has overruled everything else and at any cost. The fallout cometh. I shake my head in amazement everyday at the news reports of yet someone else getting scammed out of money...why? GREED Like some other posters I much prefer to buy American and will at every opportunity, but even that is no longer a guarantee of quality, many American manufacturers have cut quality in an attempt to remain competitive with the Walmart mentality crowd. As far as tires, I haven't started looking yet and when I do I probably won't like my choices...

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin
English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
2 years ago Lynn and I wanted to buy our grandson a Radio Flyer wagon. About that time there was a news story that the manufacturer was closing their only Radio Flyer plant in Chicago. We search every store from Placerville (except 1) to Sacramento and to Oakland. Same Radio Flyer product same box all 'made in China' Now we do not have anything against China but RADIO FLYER WAGONS ARE AS AMERICAN AS.......and we weren't giving up! Now the happy search ending. We went into Hangtown Hardware in Placerville, the oldest hardware in the west, and by gum they had a few all made IN THE USA! Our grandson got his American made wagon and I kept the box. So there!

Neil and Lynn.
I've driven by that plant a few times being that is only about 10 miles from my house. It's very spooky how silent it is around there now. I believe they still have the corporate mouthpieces and such at the location, but the manufac jobs are now all gone.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Side note, I agree. It's far too late. This needed to be nipped in the bud in the 80s. Problem is if you're not building in Asia and other places that have sub standard living, then your competition is and you are priced out of the market. My 2004 3/4 ton Burb was assembled in Mexico (no UAW concerns there, not happy, get out there are nealy 300 folks in line waiting for your job). Neary all the Apple gear I buy for work has neat little packaging and on it says "Designed by Apple in California". Oddly enough, the manifest that comes with the 60 MacBooks I bought, you can clearly see they just came off a plane from Asia (mostly China) and are in my hands within 24 hours or less of the plane landing.

I just bought some of the new Airport Extremes with the 802.11n a few days ago. About 8 hours before I had it in my hands, the units were in Shanghai, LITERALLY!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I've HAD IT- HAD IT with all the import crap out there. Just got back from the local Goodyear Store. I was looking for Marathons yup we got 8 of them in stock. Fine I say, where are they made? Well lets look yup all 8 China....Good luck to all you getting new rigs- do the country a favor and refuse delivery until AS puts on some real rubber.
The 14" Marathons that came with my Bambi were made in New Zealand and when I went to Jackson Center to upgrade my axle/brakes/wheels/tires the 15" Marathons they installed were made in Canada.

Not that either of these places are the USA, but they are 1st world countries paying 1st world wages. Airstream was able to get these tires - I don't know if you the consumer can your local dealer to request them.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I don’t agree that one person can’t make a difference. I sleep better at night knowing we, as a family, make every effort to buy American goods. I have nothing but GM products in my driveway. I’ll buy the last damn Chevy that comes off the line if I have to. The Japanese have been very successful marketing the perception of quality. I am not saying they don’t make quality products, they do, but they are no better than what is made here in the US. That being said I see no reason to spend my money overseas when I can get what I need here, usually at a better price, and of comparable quality. Why would you buy foreign goods when you could support your fellow Americans buying US made? I just don’t get it…
I was employed for 10 years by a great old American company, founded in 1846. When I started there in 1995 there were 1400 people employed at that facility. Guess what? They are moving to China, and now there are 200 people left to help close the doors. It “ain’t” no joke. Happens every day. The wealth in this country was created by manufacturing, and has historically supported the middle class. Ask some of the folks I used to work with how they feel about “foreign made” goods. You won’t get a lot of support. We need more nationalism, not less. Go to France, the French are driving primarily Peugeots, the Germans; BMW and Mercedes, the Italians; Fiats, the Japanese; Toyotas. They all understand; “it’s the economy stupid”!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Well I changed out my 1995 marathons this week. Turned out to be a pain. Sometimes I think tire shops make money by accident. Anyway I ended up with Tow Masters from Canada. Supposedly they are a goodyear somethin or other. We'll see, It's gettin worse day by day. I wonder how much chinese crap is in the new trailers. DG
As of January, when I needed a single tire, Greenblat the distributer for Tow master told me the molds had already been shipped to China. There may still be some stock from Canada on the shelves.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bill, I'm a die hard GM fan too, but even my Burb was assembled in Mexico and many GM vehicles are made outside the US and for sure, many of the components that make up the systems that use to be made in the US are now in Thiland, Tiawan, Mexico, China, etc. I can't go to Target and find many items made in the US, less say cleaning products, etc.

I bothers me to no end that Toyota is becoming a player in the big 3, but as I ponder where the $$$ goes, back to Japan, the parent company, I'm reminded of how much in bed we are with everyone in the "global economy". Many of those Toyotas are made here in the US. Honda? They have a trans plant, just down the street from the Airstream Factory and other plants in Ohio. All these places are providing jobs to Americans and these vehicles are made in the US, again with parts and such made both in and out of the US. In the vehicle manufac sector the big question becomes, are the Unions to blame? How much? If foreign car companies can build cars here and sell them, with the same skilled workforces, how can GM and Ford have such a rough go at it lately. Sure products do play a major role, but so do the concessions the UAW and other unions have placed on these places for decades, now IMHO only coming full circle to bite the UAW in the behind.

I fully agree with you in that we should support our own, but my point is that it has become ever that much more difficult to even find anything that is still made here. Even our Airstreams have a multitude of components (newer Airstreams) that are not made here or the parts within, not made here. I had to buy a run capacitor for my outdoor unit to my central air in the house. I could not find the specific GE capacitor (that BTW was made in several different countries) and wound up buying a capacitor that was made in Pakistan. Pissed me off to no avail, but if I wanted A/C this summer, I needed the capacitor, and even if I found the GE unit, the one in the outdoor unit was made in Mexico.

I suppose, like you, there is no purist way to go about it as was the case in the later part of the 20th century. The lines are too blurred by the global economy we find ourselves in. The best I suppose we can hope for is to do our best to support our own as much as we can, understanding that until the 2nd and 3rd world gets closer to the 1st world, the middle class is going to be in for a very rough ride.

As for the tires, I'm in the market soon to replace mine....Marathons seem to be the front runner, but I cringe at what I too will find when I go out there lookin'.