Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Replacing axles?

Now that the weather has turned out nice who has decided to replace their axles?
Who has just replaced it (or them)?
I am getting ready to take my Minuet up to Lansing for a four week trip for work. I will be camping while I am teaching at the new GM-Lansing/Delta Township Assembly plant.
That will also mean that I am away from the forums for awhile. Sorry, but I will not be able to hunt for bargains while I am gone. No Internet access in Michigan State Parks.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Lou,

I have already started the axle fund (wife's sox drawer). I am going to get them from axleman and install them myself. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I have already started the axle fund (wife's sox drawer).
If you are worried about someone getting your cash, put it under the soap dish in the kids' bathroom, they will never find it!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Lou,

I have already started the axle fund (wife's sox drawer). I am going to get them from axleman and install them myself. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
That is why I did it.
I "boldly went where no Airstreamer went before" to make it a better place for all of us!
Take pictures and document EVERYTHING for all of us.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet

I am sure I will be replacing axles on Goliath, too. The rear axle is frozen in place, and the trailer pivots on that axis, making for an uncomfortable ride.

Thanks Lou, for doing the legwork, and (successfully) using a new source for axles.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I am sure I will be replacing axles on Goliath, too. The rear axle is frozen in place, and the trailer pivots on that axis, making for an uncomfortable ride.

Thanks Lou, for doing the legwork, and (successfully) using a new source for axles.
Terry,
I like to use a Red Green saying: "If women cannot find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
I have talked via email and PM to a lot of people that could not find a good source for replacement axles or they could not afford the ones that are offered for sale elsewhere. I fell into both of these categories.
When I return from my four week hiatus I will be replacing the axle on the 1973 Argosy 20. This one I am going to do on my own. Axis will provide everything I need to do the installation.
I had gotten axles from Henschen some years ago and it took a couple days to get them modified to actually fit right. This time I do not want to spend an entire weekend on my back under the trailer.
As for your frozen axle.... YIKES
That has got to be painful!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
GSM Vehicles

Colin and the guys at GSM just replaced Vintage Thunder's axles with Axis axles I believe. VT was at my house the other day and they looked nice. You might want to check them out..they are sponsors on VT.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Colin and the guys at GSM just replaced Vintage Thunder's axles with Axis axles I believe. VT was at my house the other day and they looked nice. You might want to check them out..they are sponsors on VT.

Rob
IMHO, Colin of GSM and Henry from Axis are key elements in the success of VT. I know without Rich it would not have even come to fruition!
We do have to give Colin and Henry a big hand for the donation of their services.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Old Axle soon to be on its way.....

Getting really close now! Peter is removing the GT's Axle this coming weekend and crating it up for FedEx - down to Axis Products. Then moving onto the Excella to remove all her wheels - bag em and load them up for the trip to Vermont the following week. (PS any good hints on a safe way to jack this beast up to support with no wheels for a day or two??)

We decided not to do the big loop to Indianna - just too much for one weekend. This way we can get the Ole' 61 home take some serious measurements - and then take her down to Axis when the GT Axle is ready - make the switch - Move onto the GT and get her all fixed up for the Winter travels (main jobs being axle, plumbing, & windows). Then it is all little stuff except for the polish and that will have to now wait until next summer - due to the time now needed to strip down the Excella AKA "Donner A/S"

So we are getting closer.

Still say you "done good" Lou and I was just checking out the AC/Fridge thread again - thinking of trading the awsome fridge in the excella for a 3/4 size not sure on the models yet - but that Palamino place sounds like a good bet.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm replacing the axles on the 58 this summer - wish I was closer to an axle place that I could just drop off the trailer for new ones -

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I'm replacing the axles on the 58 this summer - wish I was closer to an axle place that I could just drop off the trailer for new ones -

Ken
That would be nice if we all could do that. I had to take a 4 hour trip to Axis and a four hour trip home. Then do it all over again the next week. Man, that was not fun. I do have a nice new axle and the trailer is sitting up nice and high now.
The thing that concerns me is that a lot of people will worry more about replacing the orange formica on their countertops then they will about there worn out axle. I think your running gear is the most important part of the trailer. It sees the most amount of continuous use. I know that I used to take mine for granted. Not anymore. Now that I have the Saf-T-Lube spindles and brand new brakes and drums I will enjoy doing my spring checklist for the running gear. NO MORE RUST! (For a lillte while!)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Axis Axles

Hi All,
I spoke to Henry at Axis this morning. My 2) 3700# axles with Kodiak disk brakes will be shipped next week.
I have not been in a big hurry for them so I told Henry there was not a rush on them. That is why they won't be shipped till next week.
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
Hi All,
I spoke to Henry at Axis this morning. My 2) 3700# axles with Kodiak disk brakes will be shipped next week.
I have not been in a big hurry for them so I told Henry there was not a rush on them. That is why they won't be shipped till next week.
Mike B
Too cool, Mike.
Please be sure to keep us posted as to how the installation goes. I am sure there are a lot of members that cannot wait to see how the Axis axle with disc brakes does for you.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Something I found on the web!

I found this animation on the web back awhile ago.
It shows how the Safe-T-Lube spindle works.
I know that some of you have been wanting to know how it works. I figure a picture is worth a thousand words!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Mine came in last wednesday, it took about 4 days longer than ups would have.. Dave (the guy at all right rv ) said that ups usualy wont take an axle if the hub and brakes are attached ... I dunno ? ...They were too bussy to get to it befor the weekend... and they were closed for three days but i did drive by to see if they had it locked up and it is ... behind a 6 ft chain link with wire on top... and they put it all the way in the back...can't hardly see it from the street...i'm going to try to get over there this week for some befor photo's but my work schedule is getting crazy...the hours are realy adding up... can't get there befor closeing time.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
As for your frozen axle.... YIKES
That has got to be painful!
It makes for an interesting ride, to say the least. The front axle still has some "give" to it, but the rear one just kind of stays in one place, whether it is on the ground, or off the ground. Instead of flexing so the trailer will ride smoothly it allows the trailer and tow vehicle flex...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
interesting graphic, Lou. what's the deal w/ these things? I've heard it said here that some don't like the idea of that entire area being packed w/ grease, as it doesn't dissipate the heat well enough. (?) or something like that??? does this type of hub/spindle eliminate the need to repack bearings?

I think it may be time for me, as well. I had new tires put on last week. they raised the trailer by jacking on the axle mounting plate, right in between the wheels. when the trailer raised, the wheels did not droop down at all when the weight was removed from them. the arms just stayed horizontal. (which I thought meant "still ok"...not pointing up, but that only counts when the weight is ON the axles. ). Seems that they've pretty much lost most of their spring. now, to find the $$$$ the more difficult task will be to convice the Mrs. maybe lots of these:

Now I wonder....there was another report here recently of a window spontaneously shattering on the highway. there have been quite a few in the past, and I've talked to other non-forum members that have experienced the same thing. seems odd that a side window would just shatter for no reason. but the bodies of these silver palaces are very "live" going down the hiway, with lots of movement. lots of flexing going on. but a rigid piece of safety glass won't flex much...wondering if there is a link between worn axles and broken glass.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Safe-T-Lube Overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
interesting graphic, Lou. what's the deal w/ these things? does this type of hub/spindle eliminate the need to repack bearings?
Chuck,

The Safe-T-Lube system does several things. It allows you to monitor grease levels quickly by removing the rubber cap plug. If additional grease is needed, a hand grease gun can be attached to the grease zerk on the end of the spindle. Additionally, it allows you to change grease without disassembly. It does NOT allow you to bypass routine bearing inspections; they still need to be inspected at regular intervals.

Here is a brief overview:

Remove rubber plug. Attach a hand operated grease gun to the zerk. Hold a shop/paper towel at the bottom of the cap. As the grease gun is pumped the grease will be pumped through the spindle and will enter the hub at the rear, just forward of the grease seal but to the backside of the rear bearing. It will continue to flow (by pumping the gun) until the grease reaches the front bearing and then begins to flow out of the cap onto the catch rag. The grease gun should be pumped until clean new grease is seen coming out onto the rag. The rag will now contain almost, if not all of the old grease and can be discarded. You hub is now full of fresh grease, plug the cap and move on. This is what the animation is depicting.

I hope this helps,

Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have saf t lube hubs on my well cargo 20 footer. dexter axles.

they do run hot when filled with grease vs. hand packing the bearings.

i have tried it both ways with this trailer and prefer packing them by hand, this feature might be better for boat trailers than over the road rigs.

i'm not saying anything bad about the system, just that it does run hotter.

john
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Safe-T-Lube System

That system is great for Boat trailers.

However, is becomes a very different story for trailers that have electric brakes.

If for "any reason"the cavity is over filled, or the grease seal allows some grease to pass, then that grease will indeed get on the magnets and shoes.

Once that happens, the magnet surface and shoes will absorb some of the grease. Any attempt to remove that grease is usually fruitless. You cannot remove all the grease that has imbedded itself in the pores of the magnet face or the shoes.

Once the magnet and shoes become warm, the grease will once again surface. Again and again.

The bottom line, is that packing the bearings by hand, as well as periodic inspection of the bearings, is the only safe way to go, along with automatically replacing the grease seals.

Using the Safe-T-Lube is risky at best, when the trailer has brakes.

If the trailer has no brakes, then the Safe-T-Lube works great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote