Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Laptop Wireless Card

I want to buy a wireless card for a year old laptop.

There are 802.11 b ,g ,& n cards.

Is it worth the money to pay extra for the n card?

It looks like $120 vs $40-60.

Appreciate any comments.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Somewhere between NY & LA

I looked into wireless cards before I started my trip. I chose the Verizon 5220.

It is not a Local Area Network card, It works almost anywhere.

The obvious benefit for me was that I didn't have to find a Starbucks or wireless hotspot to use it. Right now I'm typing this in Alamogrdo NM not exactly an urban metropolis! I can check my email from the drivers seat. Don't worry, I pull over first...usually.

Another benefit is you don't need an Internet Provider. Just make the Verizon connection and start surfing.

The drawbacks are: it is a monthly contract, $75 I think. And it won't work everywhere, no matter what the Verizon salesman tells you. When I was down in Big Bend I was offline the whole time.

All in all, I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied.

I hope this helps.

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Traveling w/Email

I have a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G card & it worked fine for me.

See: http://www.airforums.com/forum...=free+internet

I also have traveled with an: AT&T Wireless Communication Manager 4 software & Sony Ericsson Edge Card - GC83 Wireless Data Card. The AT&T store gave me the card and one month trial service (payable) with no contract. I used it while traveling in Florida in the Hurricane aftermath. The better your signal, the better your speed.

In or near a big city, much faster than a dial-up modem.phone line. In the boonies ... well click on an email to open and go outside & smoke one ... it may be opened when you return.

I returned the Edge card 29 days later. This can be returned to an AT&T store anywhere in the country.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A different approach

I bought a USB-attached 802 adapter for my laptop rather than the card. It has about a 4' cable and I hang it on the button on the window shade in the window facing the transmitter. That way, I get a lot better signal inside the metal trailer than when the antenna is down by the laptop. I like it better than the card type.

My new laptop has built-in wireless. I'm hanging on to the USB adapter until I see how the built-in one works.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321

Appreciate any comments.
Wingfoot,
If you are looking for a basic wireless card that you can use at places like Starbucks and Panera Bread go ahead and get the "g" card, if you are on a G network it will be faster than the B card and if you are on a B network it will still work. FWIW I use a 3Com g card on my antique laptop and it works great regardless of the system. But I do like Jack's idea of the USB with the cable to get a little extra range on the antenna. Never had a problem before...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And I just recently read someplace that the 'n' standard isn't really standard yet... that it may change and you'll be left with outdated equipment when they decide what 'n' will really be...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I have a PowerBook G4 with the built in wireless and was wondering what I can do to get on line when we are down in Florida. Are there suppliers I can purchase a months worth of network time? I don't want to use my own Cell phone as I am with Bell - the roaming charges we were dinged with last year just about floored me - over $500.00 for a 14 day period - we had no idea we were being charged - learned our lesson on that one.

What cell phones are available in the states - can you rent for a month and hook up through dial up - totally dumb when it comes to this stuff - a wizard with photoshop but not this techno-wiro set up - any MACies out there that can help me out???

Why I would not even know how to log in at a Flying J on my wireless network option....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321

Appreciate any comments.
I have a Netgear 54Mbps wireless PC card for my laptop, I have been told that the faster ones only move data faster within the network, the 54Mbps is about as fast as any internet connection you are likely to find. After buying it on sale, and a $20.00 rebate, it was about $39.99.
It is wireless G, and should be compatible with most everything out there.
Terry
Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
we have the b wireless card but also use verizon software hooked up to the cell phone. It worked while we were out west but the connection is dial up and takes just a little longer than forever to download. We only downloaded after 9 pm local time, we found out its not where the plan is but where you are currently located. It worked, we got most of our email but it was slow at best. I did go into some local shops and check email for a couple of bucks. This stuff is coming along but we are not there yet.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Mac Connection while on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
I have a PowerBook G4 with the built in wireless and was wondering what I can do to get on line when we are down in Florida. Are there suppliers I can purchase a months worth of network time? I don't want to use my own Cell phone as I am with Bell - the roaming charges we were dinged with last year just about floored me - over $500.00 for a 14 day period - we had no idea we were being charged - learned our lesson on that one.

What cell phones are available in the states - can you rent for a month and hook up through dial up - totally dumb when it comes to this stuff - a wizard with photoshop but not this techno-wiro set up - any MACies out there that can help me out???

Why I would not even know how to log in at a Flying J on my wireless network option....
For our Mac we have an Airport card as well. There are many different WiFi vendors out there that you can sign up with for daily or monthly service. The monthly service is the better way to go. But, like all WiFi Hotspots you need to find where their service is closest to you. Companies like Boingo cover many places, but not many campgrounds. And you're right, there are connections at Flying J's at well, but a different company I believe. Each company provides you their software to log in at their spot. You pick the company you like, load their software, and you will find connecting is easy.

There are also many free WiFi Hotspot listings. This is what we use currently since no one company has enough locations along a long trip to make the monthly payment worth it. Check out wififreespot.com to see where free spots are along your travels.

As far as using a cell phone... We have Verizon Wireless. Included with most basic packages is access to their #777 service. This is a VERY slow connect 14.4Kbps. However it only hits our airtime, and with free nights and weekends we just wait until after 7:00 p.m. to check e-mail. There's a USB connector kit that we use with our Motorola phones to connect to the net when we need to. Most new phones have some kind of USB kit available for a few extra $$$.

You'll be happy to know most of the major wireless carriers (I've worked for several of them designing the networks) are moving toward the 1X Data, and EVDO (Evolution Data Only). Basically they're working toward offering broadband data service on their wireless network. This service is rolling out slowly, but it is rolling out. More densly populated areas will get it first. So, don't expect it any time soon at your favorite remote mountain side campground.

Verizon is currently rolling out wireless broadband. It is $79.00 per month. That doesn't include your "talk time bill", just data. Since it isn't everywhere yet it isn't worth buying for us at this time.

Finally for everyone debating 802.11 b, g, and the rest of the alphabet.... Most of the original hotspot providers rolled out 802.11b. If you go with a G card it usually also works on B networks (read the box closely). What does it buy you though? B works at 11 Megs per second. G works at 54 Megs per second. G is faster. However, most hotspot providers don't give you either speed. Providers usually have a T1 (high speed connection) at their site, which provides 1.54 Megs per second. Just because your card is fast, don't expect your internet downloads to come in at rated speed of your card.

Hope this was helpful.

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rick,
I tried that cellphone hookup back several years ago, and found the connection's speed was abt 19kb.. Tooooooooo slow for me, when at home I'm used to 2.8 to 3.4 gig...lol
In the future, we'll be hooked up to the wireless card on the laptop..
BTW, when is the next unit's rally???
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I find the difference between b and g to be almost unoticeable in my network which has access points for both. My wireless laptop does have the g card.
When 100mbs and later gigabit tranmission is everywhere the old cards will be outdated anyway. Its a matter for me of get what will work for you now, as it will be worthless in a year or two.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote