Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
Need a new floor

I have just purchased a 1962 Globetrotter. It has been gutted, and needs a new floor. After reading everyone's comments on installing a new floor, I realize I should have it done. Is there someone out there who specializes in Airstreams and can put in a new floor and perform any needed frame repairs. Any idea what it might cost?

thanks
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Globetrotter.

I cannot offer much help, as I am tackling my own floor and frame repairs, as many others on the forum have done. However, it might help to know, do you need to replace the whole thing, or just a few soft spots? Are you talking about the actual structural floor, as opposed to the floor covering (that's how I read it)?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
The gentleman that I purchased the trailer from had already began removing the entire floor (in the easier places) so I am going to plan on removing the enitre floor. I thought with the floor removed, it would be easier to replace the plumbing and see what condition the frame is in. I assume that I will need all new plumbing tanks and electrical. Is that normal for a trailer this age?

I have noticed that several folks have removed the shell to replace the floor, is that required? If it is not how close to the shell do I remove the floor?

Thanks for any information.
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Globetrotter.

I cannot offer much help, as I am tackling my own floor and frame repairs, as many others on the forum have done. However, it might help to know, do you need to replace the whole thing, or just a few soft spots? Are you talking about the actual structural floor, as opposed to the floor covering (that's how I read it)?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Julia,

The body is attached to the floor around the edges of the AS. Unfortunately the wood around the edges is somewhat more likely to have rot problems than the wood in the middle of the floor and might need to be replaced. I do not feel it is always necessary to entirely remove the body from the frame to replace the floor. I think the exception is when the frame is severly damaged and the only way to fix it is to take it to someone to do the work. In my case I was able to get some repair welding done by calling a welder that makes house calls. I suggest that you look at the following post and especially #4 where I give some pointers to some other postings with details about how the floor and body relate to each other, how to support the body while doing a shell on replacement and etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14745

The shell on technique that I have documented works just fine and does not require much in the way of materials to implement. You can make at least minor repairs to the frame, clean it up and even paint it with the body sitting in place on top of the frame.

I hope these pointers will get you started on the process.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:39 PM   #5
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Thank you very much for the reply. I have read all of your postings and intend to follow the directions to a T.

J.Lester
I pick up the trailer over the xmas weekend and will get started the first of Jan. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Julia,

The body is attached to the floor around the edges of the AS. Unfortunately the wood around the edges is somewhat more likely to have rot problems than the wood in the middle of the floor and might need to be replaced. I do not feel it is always necessary to entirely remove the body from the frame to replace the floor. I think the exception is when the frame is severly damaged and the only way to fix it is to take it to someone to do the work. In my case I was able to get some repair welding done by calling a welder that makes house calls. I suggest that you look at the following post and especially #4 where I give some pointers to some other postings with details about how the floor and body relate to each other, how to support the body while doing a shell on replacement and etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14745

The shell on technique that I have documented works just fine and does not require much in the way of materials to implement. You can make at least minor repairs to the frame, clean it up and even paint it with the body sitting in place on top of the frame.

I hope these pointers will get you started on the process.

Malcolm
Old 12-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
jlester,

I am glad you found the information helpfull. Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any further help.

Malcolm
Old 12-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #7
51 cruiser

1951 25' Cruiser
Livingston , Montana
hello

Greetings fellow Montanan,
I do have the name of a man in Bozeman, MT that fixes vintage trailers. I do not personaly know him or have no interest in his buisness. I have drove by and seen some of his work and drooled. Would you like his #? Where is your Globetrotter located?

Just let me know.

danette
51cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Yes please. It is going to Butte in three weeks for two new pieces of skin. I can't wait to see it with new windows and new skin. I am just north of Helena but my tailer is in Lincoln, I did not want to bring it over Flesher pass just yet.

J.lester
Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
51 cruiser

1951 25' Cruiser
Livingston , Montana
Hello Julia

The name of the man is Thomas Hennessy he has Mainstream vintage travel trailers. His phone number is 406-595-1376. Like I said I do not know him but have put a face print smudges in the windows of the airstreams he has in front of his house. I would be intersted in how much he charges ect..

Let me know if it works out. Who is doing your skin in Butte?

Take care and keep in touch
Danette
Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Thanks for the reply, I called him last night. He is actually a house builder who does this in his part time. He has never done any body repair or done any floor repair other than a patch or two he said. Basically he takes an old airstream does minor body repair ( he does not mess with the rivet things) he shines the outside and puts new cabinets and curtains and stuff and then sells them. I think I am really wanting someone who is going to put a new sub floor in and check my frame first. He told me with all that I wanted done to the old trailer, I would probably be better off buying a new one.

So on I go for the search.
J.Lester
Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I agree with Malcolm that a floor can be replaced without taking the shell off. You need to remove the lower interior panels to get the old floor out as it goes under them and is attached to the shell and frame between the inner and outer panels. When you do this note which ribs go all the way to the floor. They sit on top of the floor and the floor supports them and thus the shell. Do Not remove the floor under these ribs unless supports are in place. Malcolm show one way. The front will be supported by plate that is attached to the front of the frame and also the exterior shell, thus the rows of rivets in the front of the trailer toward the bottom. If these are broken or missing you may need to attend to vibration or axel issues. Popular wisdom is you can add more here for extra strenght but that will not fix a vibration problem.

One advantage of taking the floor out is you get to clean out above the belly pan. Lots of dead stuff in there. Do not be fooled by the frame looking ok. Esp on top. That fiberglass composite can hide significant rust damage. Hit it with a small hammer. If it's Ok you won't damage anything, if it's weak you may put a whole in it. This is good and the welder can fix.

Good luck. I oredered 3/4" Marine Fir plywood locally for the floor today and the elevator bolts and the tapping screws online. Hope to get it started Saturday.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Who did you order the self tapping screws from online? I'm about to get the plywood and screws together for my project as well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
Craftsman

For floor replacement, take a look at a product called"polyboard" (www.newcityresources.com). It looks like the perfect subfloor material. I can't take credit for this as I got the information from the forum myself. I just don't remember who posted about it's use. I was actually going to use it for some exterior doors.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
51 cruiser

1951 25' Cruiser
Livingston , Montana
darn, had some very high hopes of renting me some tools from him. We need to drop the belly pan on our trailer to inspect our front frame. It first needs to get warmer outside before we do that. There has to be someone in Montana that has experience.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'll PM you the screw place as I don't have it here. It is in New Mexcio but there are others.

Malcolm is the polyboard guy I think. I'll go with the 3/4 Marine at 58 a sheet local. I know how to work with the material and what to expect from it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Yes I guess I am the Polyboard guy. Take a look at the following post for some details:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14620

Malcolm