Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Centramatics for Vintage?

The Centramatic Wheel Balancers I ordered directly from Centramatic.com would not fit under my wheels. The balancers' outer diameter was too big for my 12-inch drums. The bolt hole pattern was fine.

While I am waiting for a response from Centramatic.com, I thought I would see if anyone else on the Forums has successfully mounted Centramatic Wheel balancers on a vintage Airstream.

Anyone? Anyone?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The problem is with your wheels, not the drums. Centramatics are mounted flat-side in and the drum diameter is not in question. Undoubtedly, there are old wheels out running around (pun) out there that will not accept the balancers.

Question is, are your wheels original Airstream. You are the first person that I have heard that had a problem mounting the Centramatics. It may be the time for some new wheels.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You are correct about the problem being with the wheels; I got carried away with trying to cram too much information in a short space.

I have every reason to believe I have the original wheels since the topic never came up in discussions with the original owner (who is also the PO).

Did these other people you know have vintage Airstreams?

Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Tom,

The problem is the original wheels have 1/2" negative offset. The centerline of the tires is 1" wider than the centerline of the axle hubs.

All three of my original wheels are this way, so I think it was original, at least for 1959. I'm not sure when the factory switched to zero offset.

I believe that new steel wheels are zero offset.

You can determine this by measuring from the rim to the hub mounting surface. Place a straightedge across the rim and measure down to the hub face. If the difference is 1", you have 1/2" offset wheels.

Maybe Centramatic will exchange them for a plate made for offset wheels if you tell them the problem.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Did these other people you know have vintage Airstreams?
Tom
Since I put my Centramatics on and both posted and showed them at the region rally, I have had some email correspondance and PMs from others who installed them. I know that some were older coaches, but I have no idea what years.

One thought, although the flat side is ordinarily mounted outward, they should work as well the other way, especially with an inward offset to the wheel. Have you tried them mounted flat side out?
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
One thought, although the flat side is ordinarily mounted outward, they should work as well the other way, especially with an inward offset to the wheel. Have you tried them mounted flat side out?
Unless I'm looking at this backwards, wouldn't that make the problem even worse?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In my case it would.

Also, if I were to buy new wheels, would I not have to keep the same offset so that the tires would fit in the wheel well? Unless steel wheel construction has changed a lot since 1967, it appears to me my problem would still exist with new wheels. Did I miss something?

Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Tom,

I'm planning to replace my wheels, with zero offset, just because they are old and need paint. In my case, the 1/2" won't make a difference, but I have just recontructed my wheel wells for larger (Marathon) tires anyway.

The problem you might have is clearance to the shock absorbers. I moved my shock absorbers inside the frame, so I'm not sure how well this would work in your case.

Also, if you ever switch to Marathons, the width of the tire might be a problem.

You won't have a problem with the outside clearance. If you go to zero offset, you will be moving the tire further in.

ps. I have an old leaf spring axle, so I don't know if Henschen has the same clearance problems with the shocks.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Update from Factory

Jerry replied to my email a little while ago:

Quote:
SORRY WE DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER BALANCER THAT WILL FIT IF THOSE DO NOT FIT THE WHEEL . SOMETIMES THE WHEEL WILL NOT ALLOW FITMENT , AS YOU HA DFOUND OUT CALL ME FOR A RMA # FOR MONEY BACK
800-523-8473 JERRY

I guess I need to settle the "would new wheels work" issue with myself before I call him.

Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Thank you Tom for sharing what your going through with using Centramatics. I have been thinking of doing the same. Though I will have to get new rims anyway...... This helps a lot!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Maybe they would be willing to take a smaller set and drill it for the larger hub and bolt circle?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don,

By smaller, I take it you mean smaller OD. Although you can't see it that well in the two picture links in my original post, the part of the balancer where the (what sounds like) ball bearings are is fairly thick - around 1/2 inch or so. While everything is not in front of me at present, I don't think I have that much room to give up.

Thanks for the idea though,

Tom
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
The Centramatic Wheel Balancers I ordered directly from Centramatic.com would not fit under my wheels. The balancers' outer diameter was too big for my 12-inch drums. The bolt hole pattern was fine.

While I am waiting for a response from Centramatic.com, I thought I would see if anyone else on the Forums has successfully mounted Centramatic Wheel balancers on a vintage Airstream.

Anyone? Anyone?

Tom
Howdy,
I have them installed on my '69 '29 foot ambassador. I am using new Henchen axles with the 12" drums. I have the balancers mounted with the flat side facing outward. The reason they are working is the new wheels I have. I went to Les Schawb and got some fancy aluminum wheels. They are 3000lb 16" wheels with the correct offset. Their are only a couple wheel types you can get that meet the load requirement and the correct offset. The 16 inches of aluminum wheel looks pretty nice and the balancers which you can see through the wheels make it look like you have disc brakes. I am pretty happy with the setup, but it took awhile to find the right wheels. Good Luck
andoboba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
Contributing Member

My error

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Unless I'm looking at this backwards, wouldn't that make the problem even worse?
I said it backwards. The flat side is ordinarily mounted
INWARD and if they could be reversed, it would help.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Centramatics were not destined to work with my offset wheels. I sent them back and got a full refund.

My apologies, Rodney - I had forgotten this thread did not mention the final outcome.

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Centramatics were not destined to work with my offset wheels. I sent them back and got a full refund.

My apologies, Rodney - I had forgotten this thread did not mention the final outcome.

Tom
Is it easy to tell if wheels are off set or not? Might save trouble before ordering....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Is it easy to tell if wheels are off set or not? Might save trouble before ordering....
Here you go. Wheel Offsets - Discount Tire. Your stock wheels should be zero offset assuming no one has changed them. I can get them on my 67 but it is a tight fit.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I have Centramatics on my 63 ,which I believe has the original wheels as I have clips on them and original baby moons. The first set of balancers I received had the same problem- to big. I called Centramatic talked to Jerry and they sent out a second smaller diameter size which fit perfectly. Talk about great service and a great product. I've put about 4,000 miles on the trailer since installing them and they sure do make a difference in the trailers ride. No more open cabinets or rivet damage.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Centramatics

Centramatic makes many different balancers.

The type wheel you have, aluminum or steel, the type brakes you have, electric or disc, the size of the wheel, 13, 14, 15 or 16 inch, also makes a difference, along with how
much offset, if any.

Sometimes, attempting to get a simple thing for a simple job, can create many questions.

Make sure you have all the info at hand, before you order any Centramatics, so that you receive the correct balancers, the first time, since the manufacturer has many different sizes and models.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I have Centramatics on my 63 ,which I believe has the original wheels as I have clips on them and original baby moons. The first set of balancers I received had the same problem- to big. I called Centramatic talked to Jerry and they sent out a second smaller diameter size which fit perfectly. Talk about great service and a great product. I've put about 4,000 miles on the trailer since installing them and they sure do make a difference in the trailers ride. No more open cabinets or rivet damage.
63air, Do you remember what size Centramatices finally sent you? I went with 300-556. If you could find that info it could really help other members in the same situation as you were. Thanks

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote