Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Electrical problem resolved

I think that with the help of forum members I have resolved my 110 v. electrical problem. I believe it started with a 30 amp plug which had loose blades and they somehow were arching inside the head of the plug. This was what was tripping the GFI system at the campground. One of the individuals helping me was an electrician parked in the next site. While diagnosing the problem, I believe he hooked a jumper wire from the ground bar to the neutral bar in the circuit breaker box, an acceptable practice for a nonGFI circuit according to several sources on the forum. No matter what we did after that, it would trip the GFI breaker at the campground box. Once I got home, a new plug was put on but I believe I checked it on a nonGFI circuit at the house because there was no problem when I tested it. When I checked it the other week, it was kicking the GFI at the garage breaker box. Since there was no reference in the service manual regarding the jumper wire, I removed it. That solved my problem. I have checked continuity on all wires and there is no crossing over. I have to isolate the ground bar to check it but it looks like everything is OK (I hope). Every plug and every system in the trailer has been checked with a meter and an instrument that verifies whether there is an open, fault, etc. and everything checks out. AC even checked out for a quick run of one minute.
Thanks for the help.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:37 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
craig,

super, glad to hear it!

i'm making some final plans today for a trip to davenport iowa. we are going down there to take in the antique motorcycle races.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
John,
That sounds really neat. I owned 3 bikes when in my late teens and early 20's. I've watched drag racing of bikes on TV and that fascinates me or should I say that it would scare the daylights out of me. Antiques motorcycle races would be a site to see. What types and years of bikes are included?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-12-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
craig,

as i have never been to these races before, i'm not sure. the photo's i've seen look like mostly wwii era bikes. harley '45s and indian scouts.

the other reason i'm going is for the swap meet, i have attended it for the last 5 years. looking for parts for my '55 harley davidson FL.

the camp ground people said they can find us a spot on the back straight away. can't wait to deploy the awning and lawn chairs and watch old bikes race! oh yea, swill a few beers too!

john
Old 08-12-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
here it is if i can get it to post:

john
Old 08-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Nice bike John! That red really stands out. Since you have a nice trailer, stocked with the appropriate beverage of course, it looks like you will have a heck of a good time. Enjoy.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end