Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Microwave Squeaking/Rattling Solution

The most frustrating squeak and rattle I have had a hard time identifying and getting rid of was coming from my microwave in my 2014.5. I had my dealership remove it and fix it twice and each time it got worse. This time, I decided to take it into my own hands.

The problem seems to be from the metal on metal friction that caused the high pitch squeaking as I went down the road. The attachment of the microwave to the cabinet did not seem to be the problem. Instead, it was mostly where the metal frame made contact with the metal microwave.

I took the entire microwave out and decided to place silicone on all of the parts where the two metal pieces would connect. You have the frame around the microwave, which I took apart and then some attachments to the microwave itself.

Since the microwave gets hot especially when using the grill component, I needed a high temperature silicone. I found these two:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the Permatex because it had a higher temperature range and the Rutland silicone arrived dry and was unusable. I think either would work. See attached images. I simply applied the silicone along all of the edges. I let it dry about an hour because I wanted it to create a barrier between the two pieces. At an hour it's still a bit wet so it will compress.

I reassembled the entire microwave, put the frame back on, and attached it. It's been absolutely quiet ever since. I tested the microwave and grilling features and I believe the high temp silicone has stood up to the heat just fine. It's the most rewarding fix on my Interstate so far and it was pretty easy to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8211.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	237781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8210.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	237782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8207.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	237783  
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My microwave was kind of noisy at first, too— until I had the bright idea of carrying my paper plates and paper towels in there. Turned out the noise was from the glass turntable and the metal convection tray moving around inside. With the microwave stuffed full of paper products in transit, no more noise.

I'm glad you found the source of your noise. Pity it was something more complicated than mine was.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I wrap the glass turntable, the metal ring and the center piece in a towel. No noise and I would think it would be better on the components that rotate the turntable if the glass isn't bouncing up and down while you drive down the road.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I am waiting on repair parts for the microwave mounts. The end caps on the tracks the microwave mounts on are broken. Plastic caps failed allowing the microwave to rattle. Ordered the parts 2 weeks ago.
Road Jager
Old 05-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I wrap the glass turntable, the metal ring and the center piece in a towel. No noise and I would think it would be better on the components that rotate the turntable if the glass isn't bouncing up and down while you drive down the road.

We did something similar - used our microfiber dish drying pad between the turntable and the glass tray. Since the drying pad is bigger than the dimensions of the inside of the microwave, the sides and corners of the pad come up around the glass platter and keep it from banging against the sides of the microwave. Another culprit for squeaking sounds in our interstate was the TV back by the bed. We heard it squeaking when we did our test drive, and the squeaking continued until we wrapped a fleece jacket around it and tucked in all the edges between the TV and the frame that holds it to the wall. Squeaking stopped and I have a jacket handy if the weather turns cold!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
andybree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My microwave was kind of noisy at first, too— until I had the bright idea of carrying my paper plates and paper towels in there. Turned out the noise was from the glass turntable and the metal convection tray moving around inside. With the microwave stuffed full of paper products in transit, no more noise.

I'm glad you found the source of your noise. Pity it was something more complicated than mine was.

In the past we have also stuffed all of our empty plastic trash bags that we saved from the grocery store in ours, and that helped some.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
andybree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
The most frustrating squeak and rattle I have had a hard time identifying and getting rid of was coming from my microwave in my 2014.5. I had my dealership remove it and fix it twice and each time it got worse. This time, I decided to take it into my own hands.

The problem seems to be from the metal on metal friction that caused the high pitch squeaking as I went down the road. The attachment of the microwave to the cabinet did not seem to be the problem. Instead, it was mostly where the metal frame made contact with the metal microwave.

I took the entire microwave out and decided to place silicone on all of the parts where the two metal pieces would connect. You have the frame around the microwave, which I took apart and then some attachments to the microwave itself.

Since the microwave gets hot especially when using the grill component, I needed a high temperature silicone. I found these two:
Amazon.com: Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive
Amazon.com - Rutland 500-Degree RTV High Heat Silicone Seal, 10.3-Ounce Cartridge, Clear - Fireproof Caulk

I used the Permatex because it had a higher temperature range and the Rutland silicone arrived dry and was unusable. I think either would work. See attached images. I simply applied the silicone along all of the edges. I let it dry about an hour because I wanted it to create a barrier between the two pieces. At an hour it's still a bit wet so it will compress.

I reassembled the entire microwave, put the frame back on, and attached it. It's been absolutely quiet ever since. I tested the microwave and grilling features and I believe the high temp silicone has stood up to the heat just fine. It's the most rewarding fix on my Interstate so far and it was pretty easy to accomplish.
Most of the other replies refer to older AI models, with "door" microwave, with turntable inside. Yours is the only one that I perceive is a more recent drawer microwave, hence applicable to my situation. I "hear ya" on the squeakiness (sorry about the pun). But the idea of taking the microwave out and apart, and applying the silicone kind of intimidates me. Can you give me a little more info on how you took it out, e.g. where are the screws / mounts, etc that you undid? I think they might be inside around the edges, when you open the drawer ... but not sure.

Also, I"m not sure what you mean by letting it dry an hour, with some residual wetness to let it "compress" when you put it back together. Why doesn't that cause the metal on metal to stick together? Maybe it's obvious, but I'm having some trouble visualizing and understanding.

THANKS for any clarification you can provide
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Hi Mark71. I actually have the old door style microwave that was prior to the 2015s. I suspect the same methodology can be used, however, on the new models. I'm afraid I cannot guide you regarding the screws etc since I don't have that model, but I suspect there's some frame that's holding it in. The manual probably has some information too about mounting it.

I wouldn't feel intimidated by it. I'm not very handy myself so I thought it was a big deal to do this, but it was pretty easy and very satisfying. I'm SO much happier without the constant squeaking as I'm driving down the road. It really reduced my stress levels and I'm enjoying the driving much more.

For the silicone that I bought, I let it dry on the individual parts for an hour before placing them back together. I was actually trying to create a barrier between the metal parts so that they were not touching and squeaking. If I put everything back together too quickly, my assumption was that the silicone would compress and I'd have metal on metal again. Seemed to work out OK by letting it dry for an hour before reassembling.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
OK thanks. I"ll pull out the manual and look at it more closely and see if the removal looks relatively straightforward, etc. Then I"ll decide whether to take a shot at the silicone fix that you did. I agree, there are a lot of squeaks and rattles in the coach when on the road, but the microwave seems to account for a large % of them.

THANKS
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote