Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Honda EU2000s mounted on Bambi

I just finished mounting 2 Honda EU2000 on my 2001 Bambi 19'. I thought others might like to see how I did it. The total cost was probably in the $100 range and it probably took 6 hours. I did no welding, but a lot of drilling (not on the Bambi) and bolting. Of course, to maintain the "Silver" look I will leave the Honda covers on. By the way, the Honda cover made for the EU3000 fits the EU2000 with the Gen-Tran installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front View no covers.JPG
Views:	1453
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	8163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left View.JPG
Views:	1094
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	8164  

Name:	Lock.JPG
Views:	1041
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	8165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front View with Covers.JPG
Views:	823
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	8166  

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Thumbs up Honda EU2000 mountings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
I just finished mounting 2 Honda EU2000 on my 2001 Bambi 19'. I thought others might like to see how I did it. The total cost was probably in the $100 range and it probably took 6 hours. I did no welding, but a lot of drilling (not on the Bambi) and bolting. Of course, to maintain the "Silver" look I will leave the Honda covers on. By the way, the Honda cover made for the EU3000 fits the EU2000 with the Gen-Tran installed.
Thanks, for the Post, Grizzly.

That's a slick application you have worked out. Are they wired in series or is one for the AZ sun and A/C and the other for all other appliances? Also, how easy would it be to remove the mounting bracket if you needed to?

Super boondocker, and IMHO you didn't trash the look of the A/S. Thanks, for the post.
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Grizzy.

Nice job!

I have a question. I've been looking into the 2000 myself, and I was wondering how noisey those things especially where you have them located on your coach.

Is the noise level noticable inside the AS, with doors and windows closed? Is the level of sound as loud or louder than, say, if the water pump was running continuously. (Those water pumps can be a racket!)

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 08-06-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Also, where did you get the bracket material? Was it a kit of some sort?

Nice job!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
It wasn't a kit. I just started with 3, 6 foot long pieces of 2 inch angle iron from Home Depot. Two of the 6 foot lengths were mounted on top of the Bambi frame and the other 6 foot piece I used to build the cross-pieces (two in each side. I made a floor for each of the boxes (each side) with expanded metal mesh. I figured this would be sturdy but still allow water and debris to fall through. To clamp the angle iron to the Bambi frame I used mounting bars from the electrical dept of Home Depot. The are heavy and have two holes drilled already. I did have to drill one hole in the top of the Bambi Frame as I could not use the clamp method where the anti-sway bar attaches to the frame. Finally, I used a piece of flat aluminum bolted across the bottom of the generator (between the rubber feet and the generator frame) and bent in roughly an L shape on the end to make a way to lock the generator to the frame. I will also use rubber straps to secure the generator to the frame when traveling.

The Gen-Tran allows the two generators to be wired in parallel which means you can run anything, including the A/C if you want to. All I have to do is pull the cord around and plug in. I know the Gen-Tran is more expensive than it should be but it mounts right to the Honda generator and makes it pretty nmice for my application.

I hope this helps explain what I did. I would be happy to send more photos if they are needed. The only tools I needed were a hacksaw, a drill, and wrenches to tighten the bolts. I have to admit that I used a reciprocal saw and a roto-sip with a cut-off saw attached to make the job easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Angle Iron-Mesh frame.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	8167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp to Bambi Frame.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	8168  

Old 08-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I forgot to mention that I haven't actually heard the Honda Generators run. In fact I haven't even added oil yet. I purchased them based on all the information from others in this forum who have used them. I got them from Wise Equipment http://www.wisesales.com/HondaGeneratorsMain.html . They had the best price I could find and they have been great to work with.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Nice

Clean install...looks great and I bet it is very functional.

Do you have any idea how much this increased your total weight / tounge weight?
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Each generator weighs 43lbs. The steel may be another 30-40lbs. About another 15-20lbs for fluids so somewhere around 100lbs added to the tongue weight.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Grizz,

I don't understand how you will operate your WD hook-up brackets... From your photos it appears that you won't be able to "load" your spring bars very easily.

I'm sure you've thought it out, just curious. Thanks for the pics, BTW, very helpful.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Hi Grizzy.

Nice job!

I have a question. I've been looking into the 2000 myself, and I was wondering how noisey those things especially where you have them located on your coach.

Is the noise level noticable inside the AS, with doors and windows closed? Is the level of sound as loud or louder than, say, if the water pump was running continuously. (Those water pumps can be a racket!)

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan,
My EU2000i runs very quiet. Not stealthy type quiet, but liveable.
I put it under the rear bumper, and face the exhaust away from the trailer.
It is quiet enough that it is no bother when you're inside the trailer. It is not quiet enough to run when you're sitting outside, about 10ft from it. ou can move it around easily, like by the streetside wheels, and then the noise level is low enough to live with, even on quiet camp sites.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Did this installation (which looks good) affect your turning radius?

The #1 thing I miss from our MH is the generator; I am afraid that I will change for the worse my sway.....was thinking of the back bumper area and having a generator attached on a platform....

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
When we were dry camping a few weeks ago at Many Glacier in GNP, a fellow Airstreamer from Pennsylvania rescued us from our dead batteries with the help of his Honda 2000 generator. Worked slick as could be and we were amazed at the sound, so much less noise than we had anticipated from reading posts about these. We are shopping for one now-I would really wish for two like shown here so that we could always run AC as needed! Spoiled? Indeed
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Grizzly,
I like xray am wondering how this has affected your hitch hook up.

Looks like it complicates it abit.

Can you explain how you have overcome this?

TNSue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
The carrier I added for the generators does complicate hitching and unhitching slightly, but only slightly. There are a few extra things I have to do that I didn't before I added the carrier:

1. unlock the generator padlock and move the generator about a few inches over on the edge of the carrier.

2. use a pry bar (prying against the top of the angle iron next to the WD Bracket) to raise the Weight Distribution bracket (with the chain attached) up a couple of inches. Use the normal piece of pipe to raise the WD bracket the rest of the way into position.

3. move the generator back and lock it up.

It adds two or three minutes to the hitch/unhitch process but it was a compromise I was willing to live with. We travel with our pets and live in the Southwest (Arizona). If we want to stop anywhere while driving or go anywhere when are camping without hookups we need to be able to run the AC. This lets us do just that without worrying about having our generators stolen. Plus we don't have to carry the generators inside the vehicle taking up space and unload them when we want to use them.

I hope this answers the questions. If anyone needs it I can post pictures of the process.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
In answer to the question about the turning radius -- I believe the installation will reduce turning radius somewhat, but probably only when backing up. It appears that I will lose the last foot of distance as the rear bumper and the trailer hitch/generator carrier come together while backing up. For me this is usually the place where I need to pull ahead and streighten out anyway. I do plan to add a marker, maybe a flag, to the front corners of the carrier so I can watch their position while turning. This is the one area I have some concerns about and will post if there are any problems.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
hooking up

Thank you grizzy for the answers and the great pictures.

We will do anything for our pets won't we?

They are special people for sure.

TNSue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy
The carrier I added for the generators does complicate hitching and unhitching slightly, but only slightly. There are a few extra things I have to do that I didn't before I added the carrier:

1. unlock the generator padlock and move the generator about a few inches over on the edge of the carrier.

2. use a pry bar (prying against the top of the angle iron next to the WD Bracket) to raise the Weight Distribution bracket (with the chain attached) up a couple of inches. Use the normal piece of pipe to raise the WD bracket the rest of the way into position.

3. move the generator back and lock it up.

It adds two or three minutes to the hitch/unhitch process but it was a compromise I was willing to live with. We travel with our pets and live in the Southwest (Arizona). If we want to stop anywhere while driving or go anywhere when are camping without hookups we need to be able to run the AC. This lets us do just that without worrying about having our generators stolen. Plus we don't have to carry the generators inside the vehicle taking up space and unload them when we want to use them.

I hope this answers the questions. If anyone needs it I can post pictures of the process.
I too would like the convienience of stopping while driving and using two honda's like Grizzy's setup.

I have a 1972 27' and wonder if anyone else has a simliar setup on a older trailer. I also wonder about the turning radius.

How about the extra 100 lbs on the tongue? Probably won't be a problem for me as my TV is a 2003 2500 Savanah van.

I would appreciate any other pictures or thoughts on Generator mounts.

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
I too would like the convienience of stopping while driving and using two honda's like Grizzy's setup.

I have a 1972 27' and wonder if anyone else has a simliar setup on a older trailer. I also wonder about the turning radius.

How about the extra 100 lbs on the tongue? Probably won't be a problem for me as my TV is a 2003 2500 Savanah van.

I would appreciate any other pictures or thoughts on Generator mounts.

Steve
Grizzy,

any updates on the turning radius of your trailer with Generators mounted?
Anyone else have thoughts or experience with generators mounted here?

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Grizz,

I like your set up.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I just went out to Wise Sales and sure enough, best price ($869), free shipping, and no tax. One EU2000 on the way! See link in the third or fourth post.