Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2002, 06:43 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Cool Sink and Shower restoration

Greetings Brouck!

The cost for this process was actually quite reasonable. My refinisher's entire charge for the complete job was $395.00. I had two other bids of $595.00 and $795.00. The refinisher who bid $795.00 didn't seem to really want the job. My refinisher as well as the one who bid $595.00 reduced their charges because I was willing to transport my coach to their shops - - this allowed them to avoid the necessity to transport their equipment to my site and allowed them immediate access to all of thier equipment, materials and supplies.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
overlanders primer

so I guess I'm not picking this primer up at Walmart?

Didn't think so.

I guess I will do the best I can with what ever I can get at West marine...do you think that will work or is there any other source like an auto body finish place that I might get the right kind of finishing products.

When I looked up the kind of plastic that the bath fixture stuff is made of [mfp or something like that] and how to paint it, I found that race car bodies are also made from them and some auto shops have paints that will paint that kind of plastic.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sink and Shower restoration

My plans to post a web site hit a slight snag and it will likely be at least three weeks before I get the job done so I posted a few of my photos at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com

There are several of the bathroom restoration/refinishing as well as a few exterior before and after shots as well. The search string: "1964 Overlander" should bring up the photos that I have posted at the above site. The photo below is one of the "after" of the bathroom refinish:

This is a similar view before restoration/refinishing:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:51 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
wow

that looks terrific...I think I may work on mine this weekend if I get up the nerve. It's scary since these are the only items that can't be replaced and would be a pain to build in. I will try to redo the sink before making a fiberglass one from scratch but I would like to try just to see if I could.

We have a covered area by the pool that I will hang a sheet of plastic on for spraying that will work for a studio...it will keep falling leaves off the items anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:31 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Thank you everyone for your experience! I just bought my airstream and planned on tackling the sink and tub this weekend. I talked to a Sherwin Williams paint rep. who also suggested the 2-part epoxy. I ordered a quart from them on Monday and it is suppose to be delivered today (Friday). The cost is going to be around $25 for the quart.

I have worked with 2-part epoxy in the past painting pool floors. In my experience you throw all your brushes and rollers away after using them in 2-part epoxy. That stuff is VERY hard to clean up. You even want to wear rubber gloves when painting. Xylene cleans it up fairly well, but it really takes a LOT of scrubbing to get it off once it dries partially.
SafariLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 02:05 AM   #26
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
2-part epoxy

and not Latex gloves!
The BEST gloves---and I've tried ALL kinds believe me!---the BEST ones are BLUE...are rubberized on the entire hand.

I found them at Home Depot or Lowe's. They have a 'long hand' and an natural coloured knit cuff and the wrist.
But, these are THICK and yet fit well so you can still pick up a thin object...and I use them for electrical, paint remover, anything very caustic. 2 part epoxy would be a 'for sure' reason to wear them.

On this Thread, I think the person who said that about removing a layer or two with wet/dry sandpaper and lots of elbow grease was the best ---KISS---advise on this thread. Just water and that sandpaper. You can try it on an obscure area and see how clean and shiney it comes out.
.......Cat
Old 10-20-2002, 02:10 AM   #27
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
KISS

Not a Kiss (smack)..
Keep It Simple Stupid......
Old 10-25-2002, 01:53 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Here it is.......

I finished my tub and sink! I am going to try to load a before and after picture.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebathroom.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	715  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

arggg

Ok, so I didn't get to share........ I'll keep trying. I made my picture a smaller pixel size, but it cropped the picture instead of making the whole thing smaller.........does anybody know how to help this basket case??? I really wanted to share..
Old 10-25-2002, 03:37 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Lori,

Your best bet is to post the pic to the airstreamhotos site. You get an album there for free and you can load larger pics. Then just post a link in you messages so we can all see your handywork!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:14 PM   #31
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
TO???

I could NOT remember which Thread I promised to tell when I got pictures downloaded. I just did it, and I'm putting out 'feelers'..

I can't remember who it was on here that's waiting for the photos of my restoration, and there's so many forums I can't find it. , I've fianally started a Photo Album on here. ...I put 2 on today...
To see them, just go to the Member's Photos and you'll see them.
They are progress shots,,,and lots of unfinished things are apparent.