Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Battery compartment lock.

Greetings.

In my quest to secure my 19' CCD trailer further, I want to install a locking mechanism on the battery compartment of my coach. For some reason, AS does not factory install one, leaving the compartment open to any battery filchers.

Here is my ?: Camping world offer such a lock, but the confusing part is that there are three sizes- 5/8", 7/8", and 1 1/8".

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...10&prodID=1793

Does anyone have any idea what size is right for the 2004 Bambi?

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan
Old 07-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The sizes are the distance from the mounting surface of the lock (backside) to the end of the threaded portion. Inside your battery compartment should be a framework around the door opening. Measure the thickness of this and the skin, that is the length you will need.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Thanks John.

Does anyone have their Airstream (Bambi) handy. Mine is 35 miles away in storage, and I want to order this thing before our next voyage.

It is the front battery compartment, and I assume that any Bambi with the dual batteries from the past couple of years uses the same compartment, therefore the size should be the same.

Thank you.

Jonathan
Old 08-02-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
In case anyone wants to do this, the correct lock set-up is as follows:

From Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=17109

This lock set-up works with my 2004 19' Bambi. So now I don't have to remove the fuse from the electric jack, I just disconnect the wire going from the jack to the battery compartment, and then lock the compartment. Pretty neat, and took all of 10 minutes to remove old non-lock with new lock. I used the flat cam, but had to bend it very slightly so it would engage the lock properly.

Good luck.

Jonathan
Old 08-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Good deal and glad it worked out for you.

The electric jack is another item that I am going to place a connector in line with so I can use it direct from my truck (Tow vehicle) Glad you mentioned that as I am still making a list of to-do's on my AS. Plus placing a connector inline will allow me to disconnect it when not needed. Keeps the toying with it from my little boy extinguished!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
I assume that each lock has an unique key (i.e. they are not one key fits all or that they use a few common CH cores)?
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You can get the same lock to replace the swivel lock on the battery box at Ace Hardware for about $4.95...and you can get them keyed the same if youi want, too... We replaced the swivel locks on the battery box and the 2 vented doors on the outside behind the refrigerator with the same locks, all keyed the same...(1 key instead of 3) By the way, the Ace locks came with alternate lock plates to meet different situations...But what we did is use the original lock plates with the new lock core, so we didn't have to guess... Just to save a trip to the hardward store, I'd suggest taking the original lock off and taking it with you to the hardware store...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm late to this thread, but I did it for about $2.50 if I recall. I was a the factory getting some work done and was spending time in the factory store where they have many odds and ends in terms of parts.

I saw the lock and said, why not. I did exactly what you are planning J. I also put one on my exterior fridge vent door.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote