Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Toilet for available space

Parts for my original Thetford Aquaflush Deluxe are no longer available which forces me to buy a new toilet. Reading through the many available posts on toilet replacement, I am starting to sweat finding a toilet which will fit my available space.

The picture below shows the space I have available. The shortest dimension, as measured from the new toilet flange, is 3-3/4 inches.

Has anyone replaced a toilet in a 1967 Airstream? If so, what did you buy that fit okay? I think the '66 - '69 models had the same amount of space available. Anyone with one of those year Airstreams have a toilet recommendation?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToiletSpace.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7417  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'd look at some of the old style porcilin Sea Lands They are narrow at the base and should work.
http://www.marksrv.com/ on the right is the sealand stuff and there are some exploded veiws there.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
I have read somewhere that Sealand makes a Trav'ler LITE model that should fit the narrow space in the pic shown above. I still cannot figure out how one removes the toilet from the fiberglass seat area in the 1966 models, anyone know? My toilet is great except for the aluminum base that has literally decintergrated! Anyone found a replacement that fits without modifying the fiberglass seat area??? Thanks John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sealand Traveler Lite - the model comes in 2 heights and several colors. If you use the search tool you will find numerous threads about this process and that toilet. We ordered ours from PPL - they have specs on line with measurements. It's a great porcelain potty and fits in tiny places.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Now for the rest of the story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Sealand Traveler Lite - ...
I could have sworn I posted a followup to this thread.

But I do remember giving karma to Janet somewhere for her recommendation - I went with the Traveler Lite, and it fit the space beautifully.

Tom
Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Foot Pedal Toilet Flush

Here's a question.... Why don't all toilets have a foot pedal flush? I've gotten used to mine, and it just makes more sense than to use a public restroom where you've either got an automatic flush that A) doesn't work or B) works several times while you are seated... or you use a hand triggered flush.

Sorry, I know where my hand has just been when I flush. I'm sure a public john is used 100 times a day. And we worry about using the seat?

Anyway about three seconds after using my first RV foot pedal flush facility, I just started wondering why this design isn't getting carried over to homes.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Here's a question.... Why don't all toilets have a foot pedal flush? I've gotten used to mine, and it just makes more sense than to use a public restroom where you've either got an automatic flush that A) doesn't work or B) works several times while you are seated... or you use a hand triggered flush.

Sorry, I know where my hand has just been when I flush. I'm sure a public john is used 100 times a day. And we worry about using the seat?

Anyway about three seconds after using my first RV foot pedal flush facility, I just started wondering why this design isn't getting carried over to homes.

Tin Lizzie
The reason is co$t. Home toilets use gravity to force water into the bowl, because of this the tank must be above the bowl and the lever to operate it is located on the tank. Check out this web site: http://www.footflush.com
BTW, the rest rooms (where did that name come from?) at my work have motion sensor devices on all the devices. It's a nice feature.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have a fairly tight fit for the base of my toilet and the Sealand fit very nicely. It was a tad more expensive than some of the others but well worth it, and the quality is great.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Janet- I did buy the sealand lite, from PPL, great price, $142 for bone color, $180 for white,( both come with sprayers) go figure...I took the bone. It WILL fit under the fiberglass "shelf" in the bathroom by: making a small hole in the fiberglass for the vaccum breaker, shaving 1/2" off the base height with a dremel and extending the flush pedal length..... I will reuse the old longer flush petal. This unit seperates in 2 pieces making installation a little easier thru the trunk. Hope this helps others! John (johndigbydog)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
wow - sounds like you should go into business making high end dental work.... but I'm gald it worked - we have used ours for 2 /3 seasons now and still like new.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #11

1966 22' Safari
jemez springs , New Mexico
I have the same toilet base problem in my 66 Safari. Let me know if you get an answer on a replacement.
Thanks
nmsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Where to Buy Traveler Lite

Hey, TomW!
Glad you've blazed the trail before me. As you may recall, I have the same exact Airstream as you, so I've watching every move (and repair) you make! (Your photos help so much!)

Love this FREE EDUCATION!

Where did you find your Traveler Lite toilet and how much did you pay for it? I just took the original out of mine to replace the bottom o-ring. Since it's out and one of the plastic lid hinges is broken, I thought I might explore the possibilities of replacing the whole John. Thanks for any info.
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Boy, I wish the previous owner of our 67 had had the brains to buy the right toilet replacement back when! The ding-ding cut a nice hole into the left side, more or less like this:
Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Since we inherited a little digital camera, I figued I'd take a couple of shots to show the incorrect toilet "fit."

Lynn
Old 02-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Credit where credit is due

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Hey, TomW! ... Where did you find your Traveler Lite toilet ...
Janet did all the work on this one. Thanks again, Janet, for locating an excellent replacement toilet option, and a place (pplmotorhomes) to buy it from.

Of note, eubank's first picture (I still can't get over how similiar it is to my bathroom ) reminded me of two points worth mentioning. The original closet flange would not have worked with the new toilet without getting creative with the toilet seal. Moot point though as my original flange, a part metal part plastic hybrid, was too rusted to use.

Also, in the first post to this thread, I mentioned a "shortest dimension". Ideally, the flange would have been centered in the space available. Although my toilet fits fine, it is rather close to the wall pictured in eubank's post.

Tom
Old 02-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
nmsafari- please read my post above, it will solve your toilet replacement issue. Johndigbydog (search my posts as well, should help, we have the SAME trailer)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
1967 Globetrotter Toilet Replacement

Just wanted to resurrect this old thread on toilets for some 1967 Airstream Safaris and Globetrotters.

I just replaced the old Thetford that no longer had part available with a Dometic 311. The 311 is the low profile version of the 310. I went with the low profile because my Globetrotter has a really cool seat that flips down over the toilet, and I wanted to keep that feature. The 310 was too high for the flip down seat, but the 311 fit really nicely in the space.

I bought mine for about $150. Might be cheaper on sale.
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Linden , Michigan
I have been looking at the Dometic 311 the replace the toilet in my '64 Overlander. I would like to keep the fiberglass bench with padded, hinged seat. Any photos to share of new toilet in Globetrottter?
Airnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
new toilet in 67 GT

Here is a photo. I didn't have the fold down cover/seat installed, but it fit well on the new toilet (311).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	232475  
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote