Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just got back from California!

We just got back from the Silver Trailer Social in Calistoga California. It was a blast! We had a great time getting there, toured our way through the redwoods along the N. CA coast, stopping at tourist attractions along the way - I love that stuff.

When we got to the rally we discovered there were five Caravels there - four 68s and a 67. One of the 68s was Craig's from Vintage Vacations, and he had completely gone through it and done all kinds of cool little things to it. It was for sale. The Caravel owners immediately got together and started going through each other's trailers, checking out who had what. There were actually a lot of differences, particularly between Ohio and CA units. Some had light wood, some had dark, and all the 68s happened to have dinettes. The 67 was the only one with a gaucho in front. It was great to see all the other Caravels!

There were lots of other cool trailers as well. Lot's of airstreams, and some canned hams, a shasta, a teardrop, a couple really cool aerofoat (I think), and a clipper, among others. It was a blast to go touring through them all.

There were activities and polishing demos, and a potluck, but mostly there was lots of time for just sitting around and making friends, hanging around the campfire at night, and a sing-along even broke out the last night. It was a real blast. Without a doubt the most fun I've ever had at a rally. Even my husband didn't get bored. Definitly worth the 1400 mile round trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunyan.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6648  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Hey, Steph, don't you ever work! Seems like you just got back from your trip to Silver Falls State Park, and then off you go again! That's not fair!! Seriously, your trip sounded great...lots of fun sharing with other vintagers. We just got back from a trip to Central Oregon, stayed at a Thousand Trails Preserve as a guest (of them) and thorougly enjoyed it (but didn't purchase membership, much to their chagrin!). Have lots to tell about it (but not on this thread).

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
cowabunga!...great pic steph!
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Steph - that sounds like some fun. Post some more pic's when you can, I know you took tons. Who from the Forums did you meet up with?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sounds like a great time - especially seeing Paul and Babe, two of my heros!

Great pic!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Actually my camera was acting weird and I didn't get as many pics as I wanted. I'm still shrinking them, but here's one of the outside of the Vintage Vacations Caravel - talk about shine! I'm kicking myself now for all the pictures I didn't take - oh well, just an excuse to go back next year.

I did meet some folks who used the forums, hopefully they'll post and say hi here. I have a feeling many of them were lurkers. Wouldn't want to 'out' them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	craigs.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6654  

Old 05-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Here's the row I was in. I never would have guessed there would be so many little airstreams there. The campground was full of Caravels, Bambis, Pacers, and I think a bubble or wee wind - tiny stuff! There were a lot of very nice globetrotters, Safaris, a couple Tradewinds, and I think one or two big guys. There was a '48 airstream with the rocketeer looking front end - my husband wants one of those now. It was just too cool.

One thing I didn't think to do was wash the trailer before we got to the campground - so everyone else was showing off their shine and we were wearing 700 miles of road dirt! Next time I'll at least swing through a u-wash-it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	row.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	6655  

Old 05-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Stef,

Curious, what were they asking for the Vintage Vacations unit? Looks pretty nice!

Thanks for the fotos!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Was this just an "Airstream" function? Or were there Argosys, Avions, etc?
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I stopped by!

Wish I would have known you were there

My family stopped by on Saturday to have a looksy. I wanted to find out about Craigs trailer for sell but he always had an audience

Here is a shot of one of my favorites...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boatrv.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	6657  
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:31 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Van, there was everything there. That's why it was so cool. I love Airstreams, but I wanted to see how other manufacturers decked out their trailers too. Just about everything was represented there, silver streak, avion, shasta, and some really weird stuff like that Trailorboat - cool!

Tim, I wish you'd said hi. Did you peek in our Caravel with the tropical print covers on the cushions? Lots of people looked inside and said 'hey, I've seen your website'

Craig was asking $35k for the Caravel. It is polished to a mirror shine, and has the coolest aluminum cover on the air conditioner you've ever seen. Inside he rebuilt everything, and it's just gorgeous, of course. I thought the coolest part was that he improved all kinds of little things, but it still has the basic Caravel layout, which can't hardly be improved upon. Here's a few snaps I took of it. I'm going to use some of these ideas in mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caravel1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	6667   Click image for larger version

Name:	caravel2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	6668  

Name:	caravel3.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	6669   Click image for larger version

Name:	caravel4.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	6670  

Old 05-18-2004, 10:14 AM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Steph, I think we did look into your caravel. We rushed thorugh a lot though.

I had a 14 year old who did not really want to be there and a 2 year old who wanted to be every where!

$35k Wow! I wonder if he gets those prices. It was nice though. I did not get to go inside. The polish job was pretty good. About the same as mine ;-)

The polish winner though was the hosts trailer. That one was really good.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Shirly and Arlen's Globetroter was spectacular! I was starting to think maybe I should put some effort into shining mine up, the polished ones all looked so nice.

The day with everyone coming through and looking at the trailers was crazy. Of course we were out checking out other trailers as well, so we weren't always at ours. At one point when we had come back and were kicking back in the trailer with another owner, a family poked their head in, and their little kid says 'ewww, this one stinks inside!' and ran back out! Her mother couldn't have been more appalled - 'I'm SO sorry!' she says Too funny! We were just cracking up!

$35k seems like a lot but he'd done a super job on it. I'd take it over a new Bambi any day. It's polished, great layout, lots of little upgrades, brand new top quality wood cabinetry and fabrics, and on top of all that you get to hang with the vintage crowd. Pretty good deal for someone who doesn't want to rebuild their own, but has the money to spend on a new Bambi.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
$35k Wow! I wonder if he gets those prices.
Yep...he does! I'd love to have one of his projects....maybe someday ~
Quote:
$35k seems like a lot but he'd done a super job on it. I'd take it over a new Bambi any day. It's polished, great layout, lots of little upgrades, brand new top quality wood cabinetry and fabrics, and on top of all that you get to hang with the vintage crowd. Pretty good deal for someone who doesn't want to rebuild their own, but has the money to spend on a new Bambi. 05-18-2004 10:14 AM
I'm with you Steph...very cool, like an old ship or train car...every bit as nice (or better!?) as a new trailer...HANDMADE & attention to every detail!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Hi Steph. Out of the closet we come! Yes we did get to meet, and I think we had a nice talk with you Sunday. We left the tradewind at home, and had the '53 Clipper and '46 teardrop there. We had gone to a couple teardrop meets, but this was our first trailer gathering, and it was in deed fun. Great bunch of people, and we learned a lot. We made 3 pages of notes for what to bring next time, so it should get better each time.

Sorry PINK you couldn't come. I was sure there wasn't a '67 tradewind there. Since you are close, I am sure we will run into eachother somewhere.

Bruce and Laura
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Sho & No Sho

Interesting gathering. I first read about it a year or so ago on the old VAC-List (now the VAL-List) seems Tom Patterson attended a year or so back in one of his non-Airstream Silver trailers.

What is the history of the event? Is there a sancioning group like TinCan Tourists or such? Is this always in Northern California? (one of the greatest places on earth more or less, so why not..?)

You know I have always wondered how someone would be viewed who wanted to attend and partake but wanted their own trailer to be off-limits for tours. Not everyone is an exhibitionist are they?
I want to look at yours, but not sure I want you to look at mine..
Would that make one an outcast?

Seems like somewhere there is a thread (maybe not on this forums) that dealt with little lymericks and quotations that could be put on a sign to hang outside trailer door. These would "politely" or "plainly" indicate wheteher your castle was on the "tour route" now or ever.
Course we all have heard about the If it's rockin ...dont bother knockin signs, but these were less "timely".
Any idea where that thread is ?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Minkus, yes we did talk! My husband LOVES the clipper. Very cool.

Jaco, the Social is just a private party I believe, put on by Shirly and Arlen, and they invite anyone who wants to come. Fees and the raffle cover the costs, and they put on a heck of a party. It was really relaxed and laid back, and everyone was out wandering through each other's trailers, even on the first day. It really was very social. Of course, I keep my trailer pretty neat and clean anyway (you have to with only 17ft to play with), so I didn't mind people wandering in and looking around. I pretty much had the door open the whole time, even if I was out looking at other people's trailers. However if you didn't want anyone looking in your trailer, just shut the door. As we were going from rig to rig if we saw a door shut we just went on to the next, and never thought twice about the folks who were closed up. There's so much to look at nobody will mind skipping a few. It really was very fun and 'social'

Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

I think there were a couple trailers there where no one was home, and the door was closed. It didn't seem to cause any major panic. Plenty others to see.
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:42 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
One time we were out looking at other trailers and left our door open so folks could look in ours, and we came back and the toilet seat lid was up! We were both hoping they hadn't looked in there, but I know I left the lid down! That wasn't supposed to be on the tour Good thing it was clean!

Old 05-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Yep...he does!
It's SOLD...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote