Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

...And Then it Went Horribly Wrong.

Friday I decided I'd install a new Fluorescent light fixture over the lounge area. Upon reflection I decided I wanted a 30 watt surface mount there - it will have to be ordered. In addition, I discovered that Airstream had been putting fluorescents under the end cap bins as well. This sounded like a good idea, so I bought a 15 watt Thin Lite fixture which is narrow enough to fit between the front and the curtains.

And then it all went so very, very wrong.

I had long planned to paint that end cap, so it only made sense to do that first. And to do that the curtains need to come down. We have had a new set ready to install this past year or more, so I'll do that too. To do the painting, the assembly holding the radio and the two tambour doors have to come out, and I have wanted to replace the radio with a new one that has a CD player. So the radio is out now also. but it turns out the old radio used a common ground for the speakers, and new ones don't. I have no idea how to deal with that, but I'll see a radio repairman friend tomorrow. And I had to take down the oak side valences to mask off the end cap. One of them has some deterioration caused by 20 year's exposure to the sun, so it is currently soaking up some Rot Doctor epoxy. While they are down would be the perfect time to wall paper the bulkhead between the lounge credenza and the refrigerator. And the couch needs some minor repairs.

The abs plastic end cap has been patched with plastic epoxy, primed with plastic compatible primer, and now is painted in something called American Accents Stone Creations - a light beige color called "Bleached Stone". It is a textured finish, not unlike Zolotone, but with less texture. It currently awaits clear coat. The tambour will be painted a complementary color tomorrow.

Anyway, its getting dark, and the photo below is the current state of affairs. In the top center you can see the wires where the 30 watt light fixture is to go that was the start of all this mess.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayed1.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5903  
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A quick and easy way to get around the ground problem with the speakers is to run the ground wires for the speakers to, well, ground. If I read your post right, you have either one ground wire for both speakers, or the speakers ground to the skin of the trailer. Make sure the instructions for the radio don't forbid this. Attach the two speaker ground wires coming out of the radio right to the body of the trailer (ground). Then make sure the speakers do the same. This was an early way to reduce wiring in our coaches. Two wires instead of four.
Good luck with the rest of your light replacement from he!!.
Terry
Old 04-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
As someone said a long time ago, if it isn't one thing, its another - the good part is you have all of us to cheer you on.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Smile Reading your post I think this thread is mis-titled.

What we have here folks is a full blown case of the "Might as wells". As in "since I am doing this I might as well do that too". This is a disease that is almost as hard to cure as the dreaded aluminitus. I know of only two cures. One is to buy a BRAND NEW trailer. They never need any thing done, right? The other is to do a complete interior redo, down to the last rivet so there is nothing left to do but enjoy the coach!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
From Thesaurus.com....

1. aftereffect
  2. aftermath
  3. backlash
  4. backwash
  5. causatum
  6. chain reaction
  7. consequence
  8. corollary
  9. development
  10. event
  11. fallout
  12. flak
  13. follow through
  14. follow up
  15. issue
  16. outcome
  17. outgrowth
  18. pursuance
  19. reaction
  20. repercussion
  21. response
  22. sequel
  23. sequence
  24. side effect
  25. spin-off
  26. waves

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Lightbulb You're soooo not alone...

We started with simple fix for small fan, with replacement Fantastic Fans front and rear.. While it was in the shop.... So far, the carpet and mini-blinds and bedding (rear side double/fabric headboard and matching spread and pillow covers) are all on order, and couch is being re-upholstered plus new kick panels... Not sure what else will remain before we declare victory, but I am steadfastly refusing to take paint sprayer inside trailer...

With late 80's interior of mauve, pink and maroon and cream, it was time....

(If anyone needs any pale pink curtains or mauve mini-blinds, just let us know!!)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
A quick and easy way to get around the ground problem with the speakers is to run the ground wires for the speakers to, well, ground.
Terry
It appears that this is no longer possible on new car stereos. The basic design does not permit this seemingly intuitive solution. I am starting a new thread on the topic.

Mark
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
qqq
4 Rivet Member

That's why I'm returning to "usable" RVs like "Chas" did.

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqq
That's why I'm returning to "usable" RVs like "Chas" did.

Ron
WHIMPS!!! Both of you!!

seriously, this sounds just like the latest project in my house. What started off as a minor cleaning turned into a major PITA project that spanned several weekends, just because the wife couldn't leave a little piece of loose caulking alone. she HAD to pick at it. before I knew it, I had to re-install the vanity counter, (because it was never secured properly in the first place), build up a huge bow in the wall with joint compound, (3/8" gap between the wall and the backsplash in one spot), which requires several layers applied at least 24hrs apart...which would then, of course, require re-painting...so "while I'm at it...." I might as well re-set some of those drywall screws that are popping out and other blemishes...Oh, and as long as I'm going to have the paint out, I should replace this scruffy piece of baseboard....First coat of paint goes on, and it doesn't look like the paint chip...its totally UGLY....start again....yadda yadda yadda

Its just "maintenance". the house is only 10 years old. Nobody would consider that "old". but that's the kind of thing you have to do if you own a house...whether it sits on a concrete foundation, or a set of DURA-TORQUE® axles.

Unless, I suppose, you're one of them "Airstream Millionaires™" that can afford a new trailer every year or 2.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
It appears that this is no longer possible on new car stereos. The basic design does not permit this seemingly intuitive solution. I am starting a new thread on the topic.

Mark
I thought that may be the case, that is why I referred to the radio instructions, so it didn't let the factory-installed smoke out...
Terry
Old 04-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Finished - maybe.

Top center - the new 30 watt light (Thin Lite 656 surface mount) that was the start of all this. I can't say enough about the light. With fluorescents in the bedroom and hall as well the coach has become a light, bright space at night. And all with a combined draw of just 75 watts - 6.25 amps.

Ceter, below bins, above couch - new Thin Lite 15 watt surface mount.

Between the two we have all the light we can use in the front lounge area. I'm just going to ignor the (now useless) airline style lamps in the corners above the couch.

Of course, the lighter end cap and the new curtains help a lot.

Note that the oak valences are not in place above the windows. It remains to be seen if they will be. Or, if so, in what form. I may just cut them down so they do not protrude so far out from the wall. I may also go with a light, perhaps even pickled finish.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	verynearthere.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6053  
Old 04-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Looks good!

how much $ for the ceiling fixture? I was thinking that I'd like to replace my forward vent w/ a fantastic fan...but then I'd lose the light fixture that surrounds the vent opening on the 70's models.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
how much $ for the ceiling fixture?
I got mine from www.rvpartsoutlet.com , $55.30 plus shipping. I think they are a good looking light. Not quite as nice as a recessed light, but no recessed light will fit between the ribs in that area on my coach.

They are carried by a lot of rv and boat supply houses.

Mark