Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Is that Santa on the roof?
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
The 32 degree problem

Ok, this post is for anyone who has followed my journey to solving the 32 degree problem and more so for anyone, probably someone who doesn’t even at this time need this information, but someday will.

So, your Dometic thermostat one day stays on and the display reads 32 degrees and you start searching the internet. You will find tons of people reporting on the 32 degree problem, you will find numerous people who believe they have solved the 32 degree problem (they have not, their issue may have resolved, but continue on and I will explain).

Dometic/Atwood and Airstream do not know of the 32 degree problem solution or why it exists or how to solve it and they were no help to me.

You may read about the different Dometic resets, feel like you’re getting close on that one at the number 9, but that ain’t it either...if you got that far.

After spending literally one month and $1,000 I have the solution. It does not yet exist on the internet and the solution could have literally been free, but it took 3 certified Atwood mechanics and lots of part replacements and labor hours to solve this because the solution is simply not on the internet or in Dometic or Airstreams knowledge base, let this be my contribution to some poor soul with the 32 degree problem and slightly above average Googling skills.

Some will tell you they replaced their thermostat (well, that gets confusing, let’s call it the display on the wall), and that fixed the problem, that is only coincidence.

Some will tell you they replaced the control board, also just coincidence.

You may read about people saying it just, “went away”. About chords and drying wire spray (they’re getting warmer) and all that is possible, but they still don’t get what’s going on.

Up until today only one thing (temporarily) resolved the 32 degree problem...and that is time and those people will someday again have the 32 degree problem...

That’s because, those of us with the 32 degree problem were unfortunate enough to have the P4 line external room temperature sensing remote lay into the drip tray when their unit was installed, this was almost definitely a factory production mistake. The well informed RV mechanic/owner of Louisville’s oldest RV center says there is “no way” this was done at the factory on purpose. Thank you Tim, you are a hero!

What is happening is the sensing remote is sitting in water, when fixing some other part resolved it, it is because time was given for the drip tray to dry.

Shotty workmanship from the factory Airstream. You all really do owe me and your quality department needs to be aware this is happening!

Here are some photos. Best wishes to all and to a properly temperature controlled evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7434.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	358128

You can simply move the sensing remote from the drip line (the one that runs under your AS by the tire) and the problem will go away. Here is our fix:

Name:	IMG_7435.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	358129

Yay, this hell is over for me and I like my Airstream again, ha ha
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Is that Santa on the roof?

My Santa this year for sure! That is Tim, owner of Louisville RV Center who was born to a father who opened up Louisville’s first camper store and literally has campers in his blood.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:27 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
What is your second photo showing me?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #45
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
What is your second photo showing me?
Larry
Larry,

Spartanguy can verify of course but 1st pic shows sensor sitting in water and second shows sensor relocated to a dry spot with wait for it, a single zip tie.

Spartanguy they deserve a nice write up on their website as the They know how to roll up their sleeves techs and get 'er done.

Lesson for a bet a lot of others including me, you have to have access to a complete this is your system schematic and know what the parts should be doing. That's training patience and thinking out of the box.

Nice Christmas present.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #46
Rivet Master

OK, but I am still confused. In the first pic I see a little thing at the end of a white cable, pic taken from the roof looking down? Then in the second pic, I do not see the white cable, pic taken from inside looking up?
Larry
Old 12-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Wire was invisible from below while it bathed in water so camera view changes...
I'm hoping I got these correct...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spartanguy_puddle_A.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	358143   Click image for larger version

Name:	spartanguy_no_puddle_A.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	358144  

Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #48
Rivet Master

I got it! That is a side view of the white thing, the temp sensor, in the first pic! Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
OK, but I am still confused. In the first pic I see a little thing at the end of a white cable, pic taken from the roof looking down? Then in the second pic, I do not see the white cable, pic taken from inside looking up?

Larry

Correct. Same sensor, different shot and perspective.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Larry,

Spartanguy can verify of course but 1st pic shows sensor sitting in water and second shows sensor relocated to a dry spot with wait for it, a single zip tie.

Spartanguy they deserve a nice write up on their website as the They know how to roll up their sleeves techs and get 'er done.

Lesson for a bet a lot of others including me, you have to have access to a complete this is your system schematic and know what the parts should be doing. That's training patience and thinking out of the box.

Nice Christmas present.

Gary

I gave them a great Google review and heat is a great Christmas (and birthday [emoji513]) presents indeed. Although, in Kentucky today and the suns so bright it’s 84 degrees in the AS with no systems on, ha ha
Old 12-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Wire was invisible from below while it bathed in water so camera view changes...
I'm hoping I got these correct...

Yup, exactly!
Old 12-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I’ve been following this thread. Wow, is all I have to say.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great follow-up posts on this almost-impossible-to-diagnose-correctly problem!

Thanks for your diligence.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great follow-up posts on this almost-impossible-to-diagnose-correctly problem!

Thanks for your diligence.

Peter

I really appreciate you all staying with me! There were some ups and downs, ha ha. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #55
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
But the big thing is you as the OP closed the loop AFAWK and way too many times the OP goes dark and the solution is a big unknown.

Really is a commentary on hey you builders do you know what these parts do or just hang the part and move on.

My recent example the vacuum breaker for the no fuss flush while installed correctly for water flow was installed such that it leaked when the water was turned off. Not any more.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
But the big thing is you as the OP closed the loop AFAWK and way too many times the OP goes dark and the solution is a big unknown.

Really is a commentary on hey you builders do you know what these parts do or just hang the part and move on.

My recent example the vacuum breaker for the no fuss flush while installed correctly for water flow was installed such that it leaked when the water was turned off. Not any more.

Oh dear, you’re gonna make me fear the next problem already, ha ha. I genuinely wanted this solved and shared as my internet research on the matter showed no conclusion.

Tim (the RV guy) said something real honest to me, he said, it’s not that RVs or Airstreams are inherently bad quality as much as it is that anyone doing this kind of work is likely not paid the greatest or passionate, he sees it almost as a cultural weakness. The good news for all of us is we are learning so much with these shared problems.

My AS is going to be far higher quality and understood by me after ownership than when it came off the line, I’ll be uncomfortable ever trading or buying a different one.

One last point, the company would likely benefit from a couple things that immediately come to mind. Something like the A plan at Ford that would get workers into ownership and increase appreciation for the product. Another thing I learned while working as a VA therapist in Elkhart county was that my clients who almost all worked in the RV industry got to go home after quotas for the day were met, this no doubt reinforces rushed jobs and reduces quality.

Thor should hire me, I’ll set them straight, ha ha...maybe we all feel that way.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Big thank you to Spartanguy.
We had about 7" of rain in Fort Lauderdale a couple of days ago so the 32 degree issue came into play. Armed with Spartanguy's info and photos, I was able to locate the temp sensor in a big puddle of water. I zip tied it up, dried it with some cue tips, applied hot air from a hair dryer, shut off all AC an DC power, reset the thermostat, turned on all power, and, presto, Air functioning. Whahoo!

Great work to diagnose a real inconvenient problem. Thanks again
Jim
Old 12-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Big thank you to Spartanguy.
We had about 7" of rain in Fort Lauderdale a couple of days ago so the 32 degree issue came into play. Armed with Spartanguy's info and photos, I was able to locate the temp sensor in a big puddle of water. I zip tied it up, dried it with some cue tips, applied hot air from a hair dryer, shut off all AC an DC power, reset the thermostat, turned on all power, and, presto, Air functioning. Whahoo!

Great work to diagnose a real inconvenient problem. Thanks again
Jim

Jim, that is awesome, made my day!
Old 12-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
"That’s because, those of us with the 32 degree problem were unfortunate enough to have the P4 line external room temperature sensing remote lay into the drip tray when their unit was installed, this was almost definitely a factory production mistake. The well informed RV mechanic/owner of Louisville’s oldest RV center says there is “no way” this was done at the factory on purpose. Thank you Tim, you are a hero!"

Did you have to remove the roof air conditioner to get at this sensor? Do you have ducted AC?
I still don't get it.
Thanks.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
The 32 degree problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
"That’s because, those of us with the 32 degree problem were unfortunate enough to have the P4 line external room temperature sensing remote lay into the drip tray when their unit was installed, this was almost definitely a factory production mistake. The well informed RV mechanic/owner of Louisville’s oldest RV center says there is “no way” this was done at the factory on purpose. Thank you Tim, you are a hero!"

Did you have to remove the roof air conditioner to get at this sensor? Do you have ducted AC?
I still don't get it.
Thanks.

Yes and kinda (had to remove the cover). The sensor it up above the AC intake, but, if it has fallen into the drip tray you won’t be able to see it. Could you reach up and feel to the left for it, idk. We removed the AC cover, the drip channel is on the right side of the AC unit and the sensing remote was just sitting right there sideways in that channel. This is one of the drip lines that ultimately drips out by the tire per my understanding.

My next step is I want to fully understand every single drip line on this thing, there’s at least 4, one by each inner tire wall.

If you really want to understand better call Tim at Louisville RV Center, thank him for his discovery, and ask for an expert explanation, I think he’d be happy to give it.

***Reread Wabbiteers reply, he understands this perfectly.

Name:	IMG_7338.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	358250