Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2004, 02:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Applied Vulkem to the fridge vent and all of the little vents. Vulkem has a weird application. I found that I did better with pushing a bead rather than pulling it along using the tube tip to smooth as I went. Some areas look beautiful, some don't. I'll live with it if it stops the leaks. Don't look too close, it'll be fine.
This is sort of for everybody out there; there's this thing we have for caulking that costs about .99c and works like a dream for finishing your caulking edge. We got it at a Yardbirds but here's the item and company. You just take this little square thingy and push it along your wet caulking bead and everybody things you're a genius caulker. Looks like they have other stuff too that works great.

http://www.homaxproducts.com/catalog/caulkfinisher.html

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Talking

Sounds like a great love! Keep the faith and keep the posts coming, you have us all pulling for you!

We didn't get to the experience everything you are with our trailer, as ours was in great shape already. I am hoping our second trailer (probably going to be a 19'-25' Vintage TT) may well provide us with many of your experiences. Looking forward to checking in from time to time to keep cheering you on!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Great post! Looking forward to trying this out. Any tips on using it? e.g. wet or dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
This is sort of for everybody out there; there's this thing we have for caulking that costs about .99c and works like a dream for finishing your caulking edge. We got it at a Yardbirds but here's the item and company. You just take this little square thingy and push it along your wet caulking bead and everybody things you're a genius caulker. Looks like they have other stuff too that works great.

http://www.homaxproducts.com/catalog/caulkfinisher.html
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I've never used it but I'm putting a second strip of caulking along our bathtub in our house bathroom soon, when I do I'll post. I've never caulked before, so this should be a good test.

I think you just use it dry. And it's unbelievably effective, but I don't know the retailer where you can get it.

ingrid
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
... Vulkem has a weird application. I found that I did better with pushing a bead rather than pulling it along using the tube tip to smooth as I went. Some areas look beautiful, some don't. I'll live with it if it stops the leaks. Don't look too close, it'll be fine. ...
Eljay,
I thought you always pushed caulk....I didn't realize the other way would work
Years ago a painter taught me how to caulk and we were taught to push the caulk, because it gives a better adhesion and tooling. Better adhesion because you are putting more pressure on it and forcing it into the joint. IIRC he had us do a couple of joints, one pushing and one pulling, let them dry over a weekend and then cut them open across the joint and the pushed joint was sealed much better than the pulled joint. This guy was one of the old time painters that could paint a window with mullions, not using masking tape and there would not be a spot of paint on the glass when he was done. He was that good.

BTW my lovely wife has one of those caulking thingy gadgets like Ingrid has, I can't make it work but she does just fine with it....must be her artistic side

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I also 'push' the caulk and get a pretty nice looking bead out of it. Takes practice though. I learned to do it that way back when I worked in a petstore and had to seal all-glass aquariums with clear sealant. You do push the bead along so it adheres well on both edges. Check out a glass aquarium sometime - five pieces of glass held together by nothing but sealant, holding in 10,20,30 gallons of water. It's pretty amazing. But if you do it wrong...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
what happened to licking your finger and pushing it in?

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
what happened to licking your finger and pushing it in?
That was my old way of doing it, but I (actually) read the warnings and thought I ought not to do it that way.

I found "a caulking tool" at Walmart. The sun is supposed to shine tomorrow with highs in the 50s. Anybody wanna guess where I'll be?
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I caulked the bathroom floor along the bottom edge of the bathtub and it worked great, so if I can do it anyone can! We're not talking about an aquarium however!

ingrid
Old 12-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
High in the 50s today so out I went. Husband came along to destruct things. He's handy like that. Weather forecast calls for several dry days in the 50s so I thought I'd try to repair/scuplt the floor in the refrigerator area.

The good news-no further floor damage beyond that fridge area...

The bad news-ran out of daylight.

The photos are of the floor epoxy and sculptwood, and the current locations of the cabinets, sink, stove. I am running out of places in the basement and the house to store stuff! It will all have to come out for the floor tile or whatever we decide upon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repair (2).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	9913   Click image for larger version

Name:	repair (3).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	9914  

Name:	repair (4).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	9915   Click image for larger version

Name:	repair (5).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	9916  

Name:	repair (6).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9917  
Old 12-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The gleam of that old wood, the curve of the ceiling. . .tantalizing promises of what will be. You are working on a beautiful canvas. . .in great disguise right now! 60's by New Years--prime remodeling weather. Take heart!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Yesterday we visited the foam supplier in Kansas City. We selected a nice density foam for the cushions. Husband has now recovered from the sticker shock, I believe. I had a good idea of what we needed and know that our comfort during sleeping and sitting is the ultimate goal. Princess and the pea, I don't want my butt or his touching plywood when sitting or sleeping. We pick the pieces up today or tomorrow.

Found pleating tape for the drapes at 99 cents/yard at Walmart. Gotta have a bunch of it (40 yards) to pleat tops and bottoms. They make some "automatic" pleating but at $3.49/yard I think I'll pass. Maybe if I didn't know how to pleat I might consider it. The time pleating or the cost of the tape maybe one reason the drape sets cost so much. I know that I will be spending some time pleating. I have two sewing machines and a serger set up and ready to go.

If anyone has an interest in vintage sewing machines, let me know-my "daily driver" is a 1957 Singer 401A all metal gears, with every cam and attachment--can't be beat. I also have an early electronic 1975 Singer 534 Stylistic-it's a recent acquistion, but does basic stuff just fine. My serger is a Singer Quantamlock 5 thread. My mom's machine is a Singer 15-91 workhorse. Nothing but straight stitch but nothing phases it. I would LOVE to have an industrial machine but I think husband will squawk loudly if I bring one more sewing machine into the house.

We have two choices for seating and I just may do up both. They are Unika Viav commercial wool. One is a blue green which is very similar to the original color. The other is a copper, periwinkle and pink. It is warmer and blends with the oak. Choices, choices. The drapes are going to be a boring off white (cream) or tan. I can't find exactly what I am looking for so will make do until the "right" thing comes along.

Ready to sew...
Old 12-28-2004, 06:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Good quality foam is very expensive but will last a long time and given more comfort.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Well the Sculptwood and Rotfix are a success. Harder than woodpecker lips. I would never have believed it. A little more cleaning today, lots of running around gathering this and that. The "to do" list is growing but so are the supplies that support the list. The more warm weather we have, the more that gets done.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
The Sewing Area

The protective covers are made and on. Now I can move on to the real upholstery work. The pics are of my sewing area (formerly known as the dining room), the cushions, and husband testing one out. Too darn cold to be out in Icky although we did get a high of 32 today and some sunshine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sewing area.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	10101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Icky cushions 1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	10103  

Name:	icky cushion.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	10104  

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Do you hire out?

Say Eljay - did it get that warm down your way? We only got up to 23 here. Guess the river has something to do with that.

I'm happy to see that you are into sewing. I think I can crochet a cover faster than I can thread my portable. I had to take apart my 4-H sewing projects so many times they started calling me "Beth the Ripper". Our son built me a beautiful new dining room table big enough to really spread out on to try to get me in the mood to create. So far all it's doing is holding the preliminary income tax stuff.

Where in KC did you get your foam? And I forget, do you have twins or a double?

Great pic of hubby...

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Yes it really did get to 32. I bundled up and took the dogs for a long romp. They have been cooped up for several days as it's been too cold for me.

Once I get my stuff done, I'd consider doing some additional sewing. It's relaxing for me. You may want to wait to see how things turn out though!

Our dining room table is huge. For this project I put all four leaves in it. He stretched out on a cushion on one end and I still have room for 2 machines on the other end. I'm not sure what possessed us to buy such a big table but it sure has come in handy for sewing and cutting.

The foam place in KC is: AM Foam Products 1242 Erie St. KCMO 816-421-7311. We are pleased with our selection. We may have been able to find the same quality for less elsewhere but it was worth it to us to be able to feel it and to have the pieces cut to order.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Post Did the fridge in...

It got into the upper 50s yesterday so out we went. Same old, same old clean up as usual (and those Magic Erasers by Mr. Clean really do work well!) Husband starts in on the fridge. You can read that thread in the fridge/appliance section. Wiggled here, broke there. Ammonia leak. We ran.

Hauled the sink and connected plumbing out. It was oozing an odd greasy looking stuff so while we were emptying the hot tub we ran that 500 gallons + water through the sink and drain pipes. Cleaned it right out.

Progress on cushions moving along well. It's in the 50s again today and I am stuck at work...wishing I was doing something with Icky.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Cool Flooring!!!

The tile came in! We went with Armstrong commercial tile. We plan to cut it to 9 inch to more closely match the original tile. I have a plan for a special touch. I'll let you know how that works out...

It was still in the 50s when I got off work tonight so I went out and washed the walls somemore. They were previously painted so I believe I'll be painting them again. I'm just not certain that I could get the paint off without damaging the vinylclad beneath.

Opinions?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
A good coat of paint can cover a multitude of sins...so I began with priming today. Kilz Premium. It's brighter and smells better already.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.