Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #181
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Make sure you get an airflow control valve. Even with the fine control that a true rivet gun gives you, you will want to be able to turn the air down quite a bit when you are setting soft rivets. The valve will screw into the 1/4" fitting on the gun.

Zep
Thanks Zep. I am planning on using a Plews 41135 Airline Regulator. I have these in stock at my store. They are fairly inexpensive so if it is not adequate I will not have lost much. It does not swivel but if that is a problem I was thinking of adding a short (6" or so) length of hose between it and the gun.

My air supply is about 75-100 ft. from my project so I am planning on keeping the pressure fairly high there then regulating it at the gun. Anyone have a suggestion on what pressure I might start with at the rivet gun?
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
100psi is good. I run mine at around 100-125psi. but I also do not use a regulator. I also could not tell you how many gazillions of rivets I've shot in my career.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

Tailgate water ponding issue revisited...

This past weekend we attended the Texas Vintage Airstream Rally in San Antonio. There were so many nice rigs and the people were so friendly. We got quite a few good ideas while there. There were over 100 Airstreams there and over 30 were vintage. I don't think that I have seen that much aluminum since the last time I recycled my beer cans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	75240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	75241

I am hoping it will give me a jump start back on my project. Maybe if I get restarted now I will be able have it there by next year.

I recently purchased a shrinker/stretcher so I decided to tackle the tailgate flashing that I had discussed earlier. Using .040 3003 H14 I bent a piece using a pair of wide mouth vise grips and smooth jaw channellock pliers (poor man's brake). Of course the bending caused the metal to arch.

Name:	IMG_1655.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	75236

I used my stretcher on the short leg and it made the metal lay back flat. I had to remove one rear corner panel so that I will be able to work it in. It needed to be removed anyway as the PO had attached it with Olympics and I think I will buck it back. Kind of kill two birds with one stone. I think with the help of a little Vulkem that I will be able to keep the ponded water out of my bathroom floor.

Name:	IMG_1657.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	75237

BTW - I also discussed this idea on Zep's thread last March. You can see a crude drawing that I made on post #8.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
It's all about the tools
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That looks great Vernon, I'll bring mine over for you to do next!

Looks like I missed you at the Texas Vintage, but I'll see you at next year's, when BOTH of us will have our trailers complete!

Anyway, nice work.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #186
--E

1968 30' Sovereign
Palo Alto , California
Great pics!
I just adopted a 68 Sovereign and got her home to find droopy drawers.
I'm taking your photos to my RV place in the morning.
Thanks!
--E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #187
4 Rivet Member

I'm still around.

I received a phone call today from a concerned Airstreamer. He suggested that I let everyone know that I am okay.

I am alive and well. I really plan on getting back in the A/S saddle soon. Following Hurricane Ike my business increased considerably. I have had very little time to think about my project but will try to make an extra effort to get off my backside. Believe me my wife has not let me forget about it. Ha! She's ready to take her camping. That may be a while however.

I am sure there is a lot of catching up to do on AirForums. I will try to check everyone out.

Thanks to everyone concerned.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #188
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Hey, it's good to see you here. Glad you're ok, hope you can start posting again soon.
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
I received a phone call today from a concerned Airstreamer. He suggested that I let everyone know that I am okay.

I am alive and well. I really plan on getting back in the A/S saddle soon. Following Hurricane Ike my business increased considerably. I have had very little time to think about my project but will try to make an extra effort to get off my backside. Believe me my wife has not let me forget about it. Ha! She's ready to take her camping. That may be a while however.

I am sure there is a lot of catching up to do on AirForums. I will try to check everyone out.

Thanks to everyone concerned.
So glad to hear from you Vernon, thanks for checking in!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #190

1970 27' Overlander
paris , Tennessee
1970 27' overlander

I am looking at purchasing a 1970 27' Land Yacht Overlander that has been sitting for about 15 years. Can anyone give me some advice on anything particular that I need to look for when inspecting it. I do know that the floor in the very front and back under the windows are "spongy". thank you in advance for your advice. Steve
steve102462 is offline   Reply With Quote