Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
... it would have been more useful to ...
... It would have been well to post that information in the place of ...
... Add in the ignorant statement ...
... and you see a clear campaign to attack and dissuade others ...

... or how about the old idiom "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
Some old idioms never get old.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A few posts back you stated 2400-2600 - deliberate misinformation, or bad memory?

I made it "very clear" by saying "without my books at home" etc.

Sorry you took my from memory statement as gospel.

I have no need to deliberately misinform, and from memory is not always perfect for most people.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
At the request of another forum member, (that and I upgraded to a golden rivet so I have more upload room) here are the pdf files that show the part #'s/option # for the shock mount bracket on Dexter axles.
E_1501 is for the #10 axle
E_1492, and E_1493 are different options for a #11 axle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E_1501.pdf (15.7 KB, 366 views)
File Type: pdf E_1492.pdf (14.2 KB, 292 views)
File Type: pdf E_1493.pdf (15.1 KB, 236 views)
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh, I just sent a pm to you. THANK YOU!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Great Pumpkin:

Thank you for posting the Dexter shock mount engineering drawings. Are they for only 1967 and later model year Airstream trailers with the near horizontally mounted shock absorbers? Or are they for only the 1961-1966 model year Airstream trailers with the vertical mounted shock absorbers? Please clarify which trailers the drawings apply to. Thanks!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Excellent

Great information Mr. Pumpkin - thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Great Pumpkin:

Thank you for posting the Dexter shock mount engineering drawings. Are they for only 1967 and later model year Airstream trailers with the near horizontally mounted shock absorbers? Or are they for only the 1961-1966 model year Airstream trailers with the vertical mounted shock absorbers? Please clarify which trailers the drawings apply to. Thanks!
Fred -

At this point I'm not sure of the answer to your question. The pdf's came from a Dexter engineer. I strongly suspect they apply to '67 and later horizontally mounted shocks. I ordered the option anyways and will see how/if it works on my '64 when they come in. Worse case I'll have to cut them off - I thought it was worth a chance. I was willing to be the test so we all can find out for sure.
As you can see from the drawing, it appears the shock mount is mid torsion arm, vs OEM on mine was on the end of the torsion arm. I think it will work, but my concern is it may be in the way of the bracket that stops the torsion arm from travelling to far/bottoming out.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
As you can see from the drawing, it appears the shock mount is mid torsion arm, vs OEM on mine was on the end of the torsion arm. I think it will work, but my concern is it may be in the way of the bracket that stops the torsion arm from travelling to far/bottoming out.
I think that is the configuration for the pre-1967 axles. OEM was on the pivot end of the arm, and it sounds like the new mount has been located so you can re-use the mount that is welded to your frame.
Had it been for the 1967 and up trailers, the mount would still be on the pivot end of the axle, because the frame mount is in a location that would not reach the mid-arm mount.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
How about this ... ?

Quote:
Fred - At this point I'm not sure of the answer to your question. The pdf's came from a Dexter engineer. I strongly suspect they apply to '67 and later horizontally mounted shocks. I ordered the option anyways and will see how/if it works on my '64 when they come in. Worse case I'll have to cut them off - I thought it was worth a chance. I was willing to be the test so we all can find out for sure.

GreatPumpkin:

I think you are correct in suspecting these Dexter Torflex shock absorber lower mounting brackets are very close to the 1967 and later Henschen Dura-Torque axle shock mount brackets because they locate the lower shock mount near the upper pivot end of the torsion arm and not at the hub end of the torsion arm. Below are 2 Airstream factory photos of the 1961-66 [left] and the 1967+ [right] Dura-Torque axles that show where the lower shock mounting brackets are located. The Dexter engineering drawings locate their shock brackets at or very close to the Henschen 1967+ pivot end position.

Now I'm no engineer, but I wonder if the existing Dexter shock mounting brackets were swapped side-to-side on the Torflex axle (as is done with the Dexter axle mounting brackets) and reversed so they pointed towards the lower hub end of the torsion arm instead of towards the higher pivot end of the torsion arm if they would be close enough to the original position of the 1961-66 Henschen Dura-Torque shock mount brackets that a fella couldn't then find a new or different shock absorber to fit into that "new" vertical position? I would think someone makes a shock absorber that would work for that application.

Dexter has built Torflex axles with swapped and reversed axle mounting brackets. It would seem no big deal to spec a Torflex axle with Dexter's exisiting shock mounting brackets swapped and reversed (but welded to the torsion arm at the same location as shown in the engineering drawings). Doing so should result in a shock mounting bracket that is close to the position of the 1961-66 Henschen Dura-Torque lower shock mounting bracket. One might have to find a slightly shorter shock asbsorber to fit between the original Henschen 61-66 upper and the new Dexter lower shock absorber mounting brackets, but I imagine such a shock absorber could be found that would work well for this purpose.

One benefit of my suggestion is that Dexter would be using its OEM parts currently on hand for this modification and would not have to design a new shock absorber mounting bracket for 1961-66 Airstreams. One would have to check clearance measurements and determine whether a shock absorber could be mounted after such a so-spec'd Dexter axle is installed on the trailer (think about the orientation of the mounting stud, etc.). I'll leave those tasks to the more detailed-oriented guys. I'm only the idea man, not the make-it-work man.

Anyway, I toss out this idea for people to think about and brainstorm from or with. Now, don't rush for your tape measures all at one ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61-66 Dura-Torque.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	43293   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967+ Dura-Torque.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	43294  

Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
47WeeWind,

I'm kind of off topic here, but an observation about your pictures has incited a question that has been bugging me for some time now.

Depending on how long it takes you to get your TT back together (my project is not 2.5 years old), you may be sitting on those new axles for a long time, which is not good for the rubber. I know it's easier to replace now, but why not wait until everything else is done?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
47WeeWind, I'm kind of off topic here, but an observation about your pictures has incited a question that has been bugging me for some time now. Depending on how long it takes you to get your TT back together (my project is not 2.5 years old), you may be sitting on those new axles for a long time, which is not good for the rubber. I know it's easier to replace now, but why not wait until everything else is done?
Hi Spiffy Gem:

Those are factory photos from the 1966 and 1967 Airstream catalogs. I only wish my frame looked as good as either one of those. My 1964 Airstream 19' Globe Trotter is all together and fully functional, and I have just ordered a new Dexter Torflex axle that will be installed in the next few weeks.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I've always wondered why the change from verticle to horizontal shocks came to be.. verticle seemed more logical in my mind UNTIL Fred posted those pics. The horizontal setup is much more compact and builder friendly. No extra shock tower to make.

Thanks Fred. I learn something everyday around here.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #53
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Hi Spiffy Gem:

My 1964 Airstream 19' Globe Trotter is all together and fully functional, and I have just ordered a new Dexter Torflex axle that will be installed in the next few weeks.
just curious..
what weight rating is your new axle?
i got a 4000 lb dexter axle for my 63 19' globetrotter.
the installers welded it on... i may have it bolted as well.
i have noticed alot of cargo shifting.. though we have been on some very bumpy and winding roads..
on the freeway it is great, very smooth.
my TT also rides a bit higher than others i have seen..
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2002 Isuzu Axiom 4x2
1963gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Great Pumpkin:

There is a "HUGE" variation in the location of the shock brackets from 1968 and older torsion axles, not only from the California built trailers, but also the Ohio built trailers.

No one seems to have a "why" answer, other than "that's the way it is."

To be on the safe side, it's better to install the shock brackets for those years, in the field, so that you can set them to whatever your trailer requires.

Andy
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
There is a "HUGE" variation in the location of the shock brackets from 1968 and older torsion axles, not only from the California built trailers, but also the Ohio built trailers. No one seems to have a "why" answer, other than "that's the way it is." Andy
Hi Andy:

If your "why" addresses the number of variations, I can't answer that either. But if it was asking why the shock absorbers were mounted vertically from 1961 to 1966, its my understanding that shock absorbers work best when perpendicular to the movement they damper. In my mind, the 1961-66 shocks appear more effectve at dampening than the 1967+ ones due solely to mounting position. But the 1967+ near horizontal position provides slightly greater interior floor space and may allow for slightly narrower wheel well housings, so I imagine the engineers were overruled by the designers in 1967.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy:

If your "why" addresses the number of variations, I can't answer that either. But if it was asking why the shock absorbers were mounted vertically from 1961 to 1966, its my understanding that shock absorbers work best when perpendicular to the movement they damper. In my mind, the 1961-66 shocks appear more effectve at dampening than the 1967+ ones due solely to mounting position. But the 1967+ near horizontal position provides slightly greater interior floor space and may allow for slightly narrower wheel well housings, so I imagine the engineers were overruled by the designers in 1967.
According to Airstream the vertical versus the horizontal shock performance is identical.

The only difference is the position is must be in to function correctly.

I believe as you do, that the change to horizontal was dictated by space available.

Horizontal shocks useage has reduced the size of the wheel wells.

Andy
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
The axles are in!

Quote:
2 Complete Torflex Axles (Hubs and Drums included)
#10 Axle rated @ 2800 lbs
10” x 2 ¼ Standard Electric Brake drums
6 - 5.5" Lug Pattern
22.5 Degree down angle
Never Lube
Low Profile Side Mount Bracket (with reverse orientation)
Top shock bracket option (E_1501)

Axles arrived.
I picked them up on the 4th.
Installed the 1st one on the 5th.
Installed the 2nd one today.

As promised, I will post pictures and details later in my thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f157...-22741-10.html.

FYI... The top shock bracket option shown in the pdf's I posted will work! Also don't get the "side mount bracket" listed above that I ordered. It isn't needed and created alot more headache.

Any more axle "fighting words" you can post away here, but please don't pollute my "adventure" thread.
2001 Honda XR650R