Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Bob,Assume nothing. If your Safari does indeed have a Thetford outlet, you either need to use a Thetford/Valterra adapter (another joint for potential leakage - I have to use this with the Flush King since it has Valterra fittings) or install Thetford end fittings on the hose. From looking at hose kits from CW, (not just plain hoses with no fittings) these appear to be Valterra.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Bob,Assume nothing. If your Safari does indeed have a Thetford outlet, you either need to use a Thetford/Valterra adapter (another joint for potential leakage - I have to use this with the Flush King since it has Valterra fittings) or install Thetford end fittings on the hose. From looking at hose kits from CW, (not just plain hoses with no fittings) these appear to be Valterra.
I have bought an additional 10' hose, a coupler, and a 90 degree elbow with adapter for sewer inlet on separate occassions and I didn't see anything anywhere that said any of these pieces were made to fit either Thetford or Valterra. For the neophite like me, how would I be expected to know if I didn't have the "industry" standard. Had I ordered these items and had to ship them back, it could get kind of expensive in shipping charges. I don't recall CW's return policy right off hand, but there are other suppliers that might regard that as the purchaser's responsibility.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
For the neophite like me, how would I be expected to know if I didn't have the "industry" standard. Had I ordered these items and had to ship them back, it could get kind of expensive in shipping charges. I don't recall CW's return policy right off hand, but there are other suppliers that might regard that as the purchaser's responsibility.
I wouldn't say that Valterra is the "industry standard" by any means. Valterra parts are cheaper and therefore more common in the white box world.

Only the adapter that directly attaches to your trailer needs to differ between Valterra and Thetford installations. Everything else is common sizes. At the most, you would have to return one piece unless you bought a kit that included Valterra fittings.

Having had both and still having some Valterra parts laying around in my parts boxes, I am a fan of the Thetford attachment. Both work equally well, however the Thetford fitting is clearly a higher quality part. The "ears" on the Thetford fitting are a bit different and I find that they twist on more easily and never seem to hang up like I have had Valterra fittings do. I have had some Valterra fittings that had a catch while being put on and then became very reluctant to come back off.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Being curious, I went out to look at my trailer tonight and it says Valterra on the sewer pipe near the cap. But I still haven't seen anything stateing: "For use with Thetford only" or "For use with Valterra only" on any sewer sets or fittings. Any one else out there see this in print somewhere?

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use my Sewer Solution about 99% of the time. For a quick dump at the campground dump station I gots the regular old SSSS...(Super Stinky Sewer Slinky)

Aaron
Wahoonc, why not 100% of the time? I would think after using the Sewer Solution system you would not want to use th 4xS anymore!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
How about a recommendation on a good brand of sewer hose. I buy a new blue hose at my local hardware store for each trip as they all get little pin hole leaks by the end of the trip. Were do I get a stout one that will last? Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
Were do I get a stout one that will last? Jamie
Well, you don't get one that will last at that hardware store!

I would expect a hose to last at least one season or more than likely several seasons. We've used the one that came with our Airstream from the factory on seven trips this summer and so far there are no pin holes in it yet. The one we have is black, no idea of the brand.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
Wahoonc, why not 100% of the time? I would think after using the Sewer Solution system you would not want to use th 4xS anymore!
Streamer1,
At some campground dump stations there is not enough water pressure or any way to hook up to the water. Those are the few times I don't use it. The sewer solution is an awesome piece of equipment. I also use pvc for an extension rather than a longer piece of hose. We just rinse it and store it under the porch for the next time. In the campgrounds the flex hose works fine.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
How about a recommendation on a good brand of sewer hose. I buy a new blue hose at my local hardware store for each trip as they all get little pin hole leaks by the end of the trip. Were do I get a stout one that will last? Jamie
A good hose can cost upward of $30. A cheap Camco hose from WalMart is only a couple bucks. Depending how many times you dump in a year, if get get 2-3 uses from a cheap hose, you may be ahead of the game.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
So assuming I'm starting with nothing, what should I get to be compatible at most sites and what about these flush systems.
lipets your unit came with thetford fittings....

one adapter can convert you; so valterra sized equipment can be used...

valterra is much much more common. so if ya need parts along the way, every mom/pop rv supply will have valterra. so too wallyworld...

unless you change out the last section/gate valve to valterra...
this thetford/valterra adapter will be a precious item...buy 2 and hide one with the sacred spare parts...

a/s started using valterra fitting on ALL models in mid 2005. my classic is valterra.

my 79 was thetford and carrying the adapter was essential.
finally after 10 years i converted it permanently to valterra....
much easier user experience afterward.

i carry two 10 hose sections and a 5 foot section all the 'e-z coupler' system from valterra...
for most sites 10 ft is fine but some times i need all 25 foot.

having too little hose equals no hookup!
i always try to park close enough for the 5 foot piece...
a short hose means less sag, less in the hose, quicker clean up and so on...

here is a link to the e-z coupler stuff. camping world often has a special priced packaged kit with the elbow and donut, and 2 sections of hose.
all the couplers are pre installed and can swivel while connected which is nice.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...sewer-hose.htm

i also carry a 'side winder' hose support thing...again a valterra product.
only gets used on 10 foot or longer hook ups but having a gradual slope with no dips in your drainhose is wonderful.

they also make end caps for the hoses...both ends...

this means the hoses can be compressed and the capped; they will stay compressed.

no leaks, store in a shorter place and when compressed the hose is stiff not slinky...which is nice for handling.

many state/city park or public drains are holes just large enough for the hose, with a metal cap.

for these i carry one old short hose that isn't finished on the far end...so it fits in the hole....

the hose storage tubes that a/s now uses are really nice...

many brands now available so consider adding a storage tube under your belly wrap...keeps the hose out of your otherwise limited storage space...

i don't have a flush king, might try one some year.
the new units have a black tank flush system...
for yours i'd use the 'wand' that goes down the toilet bowl opening....great way to flush/clean the tank walls.

i also carry a 3 inch end cap that adapts down to a garden hose...
occasionally dumping the gray tank on the ground is permitted and
IF you use a blue boy tote this is a simple way to get the wash water into the tote...

its a good idea to carry a couple of ring clamps big enough for repairs and some duct tape or other patching tape...

ya never know if ya'll use it, but a leaky hose is one nasty, nasty thang...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #31
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
2air, I have a couple of questions. They are from lack of experience so please forgive my ignorance. This weekend the sewer connection was more than the 10' would comfortably reach so I connected two 10' sections and used my hose support.

It was extended a little more than 10'. When I emptied the black tank, I flushed the hose with a day's worth of the gray tank water and then ran the black tank flush for about five to ten minutes. I then closed the black tank valve to run some water into the black tank for the trip home (I always keep a few gallons of water only plus tank chemicals in the black tank). When I disconnected the sewer hose from the sewer campground sewer connection it was still smelling foul and had a lot of water that ran out into the catch basin that surrounded the sewer pipe. I disconnected the other end and lifted it to drain the water into the basin and discovered "solids" from the black tank still in the sewer hose. I had to re-flush the hose and add water to the basin to wash the solids into the basin drain that, I guess, was actually there to give a vacuum break to the sewer pipe.

Is it normal for solids to collect in the sags in the hose between the supports of the hose like that? I try to keep them to a minimum as best that I can. Is the system you use different that it doesn't allow the hose to sag between the supports? Mine is supposed to support up to 20'.

I have the following supporter:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Hose support.bmp (111.4 KB, 96 views)
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Guttering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Is it normal for solids to collect in the sags in the hose between the supports of the hose like that? I try to keep them to a minimum as best that I can. Is the system you use different that it doesn't allow the hose to sag between the supports? Mine is supposed to support up to 20'.

I have the following supporter:
Hi, as a fulltimer I see lots of weekend warrior campers, and the various and sundry things they do really show how inventive the human mind is. Lots of people seem to use a sewer support made of roof guttering. Just drop the hose in and it's a sliding board down to the drain. I've seen some that have two sections one fitting within the other so that the length can be adjusted, and a fold down stand on the high end to set the slope. It doesn't look home made so I'm betting you could find it at Camping World. Other people have clearly had a do it yourself moment with the afforesaid guttering sections. I also see lots of folks who just let it lie on the ground, drain the tanks and lift sections of hose to encourage downward flow. Looks like a lot of work and little or no guarantee that most of the "stuff" actually clears the hose.

The "Prize Winning Drain" (in the phew catagory)is a guy who literally uses just two pieces of gutter which are crimped together somehow. It has an end piece on the high end and a hole with a piece of 2 inch round downspout attached at the other end. He props up the high end under his drain, puts the downspout into the drain and gingerly opens his black gate. After everything is out he does the toilet wand thing, then drains his gray tank to wash down the gutter. Lastly he rinses the gutter with the wand, and collapses the gutter and straps it under his SOB. It works, but wheeewwwweee! It's a visual and odoriforous inspection that's way too up close and personal for me. On the other hand, I don't think you ever get all of the little chunks and liquid out of the bumpy inside of a slinky.

I'd think you could just as easily rig up two pieces of PVC that so that the high end would fit inside the sewer end, have some sort of rubber gasket, and get the benefits of a "slippery slope".

Me, I'm sticking with the Sewer Solution. It uses a 1 inch hose, has a backflow protected poo blaster to remove clogs at the high end that can be turned to backflush the tank, and the hose is at least 1/8 inch thick so it should last for 10 years.

BTW, chunks liquify after a couple of days. Toilet paper - including the RV type - often stays together if the trailer or moho is sitting still with stabilizer jacks down. Charmin seems to be the fastest to break up. Unless my black tank is really full, I usually move it, then dump. Shake, Shake, Shake - shake your bootie... Everything becomes fluid if shaken, particularly if you dump a gallon or so of extra water in the black tank before towing it. I keep all of my shower stuff in a dishpan. Right before I unhook, I'll take my shower, and use the water that collects in this pan to dump some extra down the toilet.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
2air, I have a couple of questions. :
hi minnie's mate

looks like we are using the same support....

once set up i usually empty the gray water to check for low spots or leaks...

then adjust or bolster with wood as needed....

i also carry a section of 'gutter' as foiled mentions...

yes solids can collect at low spots. and the hose gets heavy when 20ft are needed...

at full hookup sites camped for several days use LOTS of water on the black tank side....this will help break up solids...

also i add another pocket of enzymes at the beginning...

and only dump black tank when it is REALLY full....

if its not full at the dump time... add water until it is really full..

the blank tank flush is more usefull if ya close the valve and let it FILL the tank again....
be sure to open the toilet bowl valve to check the fill rate....
mine fulls verrrrrry slowing via the btf....so i usually fill from above.

i also usually fill the gray tank completely before using it to flush out the tubing...sometimes twice.

usually sites with full hookups provide us the setting,
to fill and drain each tank multiple times....so take advantage of this.

before disconnecting,
'lift' the hose at the connection and slowing snake along to the drain....this helps empty the hose and alerts to any low full spots...and helps me decide if i need another tank of gray water...

hope this helps ya...

btw some of the hardest sewer connects to operate are at the jackson center terra port...

because many of them 'drain' up hill from the trailers!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
btw some of the hardest sewer connects to operate are at the jackson center terra port...

because many of them 'drain' up hill from the trailers!

cheers
2air'
I noticed this too when we were up there this summer. You'd think they would get it right. Of course what do they know about using them, they just build 'em. (I know a lot of the people that work there are big supporters and users of their own personal AS's!)
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, One draw back, which is normal per design, is that Airstreams sit so low to the ground that the sewer connection under the trailer has very little runoff angle.

Asked several times before and no-one seems to have the answer. Has the sewer connections on RVs been standardized? Thetford or Valterra, When at any RV supply store [Camping World Etc.] I have never seen in print or otherwise, "For Thetford" or "For Valterra". Seems to me, if it does not specify what they fit, then they fit all! [Except maybe antiques or vintage RVs.]

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
EVery Time?

As a newbie, I was wondering how often you dump your black water? Every time you camp? Every other? When the sensor shows it is full?

I have the flush king and the ez connect red hose set with all the connectors and caps. Works GREAT!

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #37
_

. , .
hi jerry

there are many threads here on this issue..

and like 'regularity' , a wide variety of opinions...

so search black tank, or tank dumping, or well use your imagination...

these tanks are relatively flat, not very deep and wide...

so they empty better if close to full before pulling the plug...

tissue doesnt need much time to brake up; solids may however.

it also depends on availabilty of hookups,

i've gone as long a 4 weeks when dry camping or without a dump site...

but my black tank is 39 gallons, or so....

if on the road, movement helps keep the contents mixed and fluid,

but when parked for longer times in one site,
it's usually suggested to wait several days or until the black tank is loaded...

also consider how full the gray tank is for the 'rinse cycle'

of course when water is easily available either tank can be filled and drained several times...

cheers
2air'

Old 11-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
before disconnecting,
'lift' the hose at the connection and slowing snake along to the drain....this helps empty the hose and alerts to any low full spots...and helps me decide if i need another tank of gray water...
This is something I do as well, I also will then intentionally pour in and trap some fresh water in the hose to create a rush of water as it exits by again lifting the hose end.
Usually though, a tank of grey water does the trick.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My dealer told me to dump daily...the tank, not me. Seriously, I was doing this, but the consensus on this forum seems to be to let the tank accumulate a "load" and dump when the tank is at least half full. Since our trips have been limited to two to four day weekends so far, I always hold the tank and flush the morning we leave and give it a good flushing with the BTF that was installed at the factory. In most cases that has been sufficient. I guess when we are camped for a full week, I will dump the black tank when it is nearly full.

I dump the gray tank every day. We don't rough it when we camp and that means we don't dry camp and we shower every morning. Our gray tank holds 39 gallons and in a day's time we can come close enough to filling it that daily dumping is required to prevent back-up in the shower on day two. I save the final gray tank to use to flush the sewer hose after dumping the black tank after I have used the BTF for at least 10 minutes. I also let the BTF run for a couple of minutes with the dump valve closed to retain a few gallons in the black tank and put chem's in there for the ride home and until the next trip. In fact, I still have some in there right now.

We have a 25 gallon blue tank and that is just barely enough to keep up with our daily gray water production when we don't have sewer hook-up at our site. I have had to fill it twice in one day to get everything out of the gray tank to prevent back-up. Part of this is because we don't use paper plates...yes we are yuppies and don't like paper plates and disposable cups so we have lots of dishes. Not to mention the blender for those occasional frozen adult beverages.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Alot of contradiction in this thread has me REALLY confused.

In Post # 12 Pahaska says .. all Classics have Thetford connectors

In Post # 30, 2airishuman says:

a/s started using valterra fitting on ALL models in mid 2005. my classic is valterra."

My '05 Classic has the larger of the two, is that the Thetford or the Valterra?

I had a problem on our first outing becuase our dealer gave me a kit with the smaller connector that DIDN'T FIT onto our '05 Classic's larger connector. And the supply store at the RV site only sold the seemingly standard smaller size connectors. I was in a heap of trouble, but found the connector (which was a pain to connect the hose to).

So what does my '05 Classic have? The Thetford as Pahaska suggests, or the Valterra that 2airishuman suggests?

And I second the assertions from others here that none of the camping supply stores designate a different size, and that they only seem to sell the smaller size which DOESN'T fit my '05 Classic's larger sewer drain connector, whatever the name may be!!!

So who has the RIGHT answer? and more importantly an online link to what adapter is needed to be able to use the smaller conectors all of the supply stores seem to only carry... Please come forward...