Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Wd40!!!!!!! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/wd40-9939.html)

Tin Hut 03-12-2004 08:12 AM

I eat a lot of beef jerky & beer nuts. Unfortunately, that stuff can bind you up perty bad. I find that if I spray the jerky with WD40 prior to ingesting, I don't have that problem.

Big Dee 03-12-2004 10:38 AM

Didn't See On The List

Spray it on gum stuck in the carpet. Gum will come right off with scrapping knife.

tinman7 03-12-2004 10:53 AM

My wife said if she had known of wd 40 before we were hitched, she wouldn't have needed me!:(

overlander63 03-12-2004 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by john hd
janet

not a big fan of tri flo, tried it in my .45 and caused it to jam, same with my .30-06.

LPS #2 is a much better lubricant and anti rust spray.

the only thing i like about wd-40 is the "drying of ignitions" it does work as advertised. other than that, i'll stick with hoppes #9 and good old 10w/30 in a squirt can oiler!

john

John, have you ever tried Howe's oil? It seems to be real good stuff. While not as reportedly universal as WD 40, it is very good as a penetrating oil, and doesn't dry.
Terry

jjonesnc 03-12-2004 06:41 PM

I want my cut fer all this biz im bringin em :D

Tarheel 03-26-2004 07:06 PM

All of these uses for WD-40 and no one mentioned removing big red numbers, shame on you.

Stefrobrts 03-26-2004 09:21 PM

I tried it to remove the stickum left after my big red numbers came off. Unfortunately all it did was drip on my nameplate and take off the blue paint! Lesson learned, but I'm still trying to get the number gunk off.

Personally, when it comes to stuck nuts & bolts, I prefer Kroil. And when it comes to my guitar strings, I wouldn't let either of those products near 'em! ;)

markus 03-27-2004 07:46 AM

wd-40

Do not use it on/in pneumatic
tools, the stuff eats the "0" rings.

mark

talmage 03-31-2004 06:21 PM

VERY interesting thread.
I have heard for years that the WD in WD-40 stands for 'Water Displacement.'
[Does anyone know what the '40' stands for?]
Guess that is why it works so well on wet wiring, distributer caps, etc.

One thing NOT to use it for is locks!
As posted earlier, it's petroleum base, does attract dust, dirt, etc., and might eventually gum up the pins, tumblers, etc.
EVERY master locksmith I have talked to recommends graphite powder for locks.
Be sure to 'work it in,' inserting and removing the key several times - and REMEMBER that there will probably be graphite residue on your key, so wipe it off before putting it back in your pocket.

thenewkid64 03-31-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talmage
VERY interesting thread.
I have heard for years that the WD in WD-40 stands for 'Water Displacement.'
[Does anyone know what the '40' stands for?]

I have heard it was the 40th formulation that they tried. It worked so the name was assigned.

talmage 03-31-2004 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info!

Reminds me about the 'lore' of the 10-15 onion.
Seems as though they plant them on the 15th of Octrober every year.
Then again, it might have something to do with the Texas A & M University Agricultural Research facility, where the onion was developed, in South Texas, being located on Texas Farm Road 1015!

overlander63 03-31-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I have heard it was the 40th formulation that they tried. It worked so the name was assigned.

That is correct, Brett. Water Displacement Formula Number 40 wouldn't fit on the can... :rolleyes:
Terry

RivetED 03-31-2004 09:59 PM

Didn't know that!! I've used Wire-Dri (yellow can?) & WD-40 back in the 60's & 70's when dist. caps & ign. coils failed so often when wet!! I thought WD-40 was mainly designed as a penetraitng fluid for rusted fasteners & the wet ignition use was a bonus.

Andrew Selking 03-31-2004 10:25 PM

WD-40 is good for one thing in Texas. That is starting a diesel engine when it is cold out.
Use it two or three times a year in January.
It will lock up any moving parts in a day or two. It is not a lubricat in dusty conditions but starts diesel real well.

Andrew Selking
WBCCI # 6062 VAC

jjonesnc 04-01-2004 02:50 AM

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. It's name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were
successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

Penguin 05-07-2004 11:53 AM

what about WD-40 running down the skin?

The rock guard on my front window is frozen so tightly that it feels like it's welded. I was gonna spray WD-40 but thought I would read in here first, because I don't want to do any MORE damage to my Trade Wind's skin.

After reading this thread, I THINK I can safely spray it on the latches, of course I will mop up what runs down the front!

Any input? OK to spray it on the latches of the rock guard?

Thanks,

Connie

Kistler 05-07-2004 03:29 PM

Having never tasted WD-40 I wasn't aware of its tract qualities but should I use it on the door latch of my trailer? It doesn't stick all that well so I was thinking of using white grease--just a little. My door latch sticks.

53flyingcloud 05-08-2004 05:14 AM

You don't say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinman7
My wife said if she had known of wd 40 before we were hitched, she wouldn't have needed me!:(

This begs a response~!!
I'm not gonna~ :eek:
ciao
53FC :D

john hd 05-08-2004 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argosy20
John, have you ever tried Howe's oil? It seems to be real good stuff. While not as reportedly universal as WD 40, it is very good as a penetrating oil, and doesn't dry.
Terry

never heard of it terry!

john

overlander63 05-08-2004 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hd
never heard of it terry!

john

https://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/40
Try this link.
Terry