Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   How to Power Running Lights in Camp? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/how-to-power-running-lights-in-camp-98644.html)

Airstream Dad 11-16-2012 03:17 PM

How to Power Running Lights in Camp?

I searched the forums for this, but couldn't find an illustration or how-to guide for how to insert a wire in my 7 way hitch plug so that 12V is supplied to the trailer running lights. It looked as simple as running a wire from one pin to another.

I saw this at a Fall rally and it nicely lit up my AS in the dark.

Does someone perhaps have this handy or can send a link to the right forums thread?

Best

Airstream Dad

Jim Clark 11-16-2012 03:31 PM

I don't use a wire I use a fuse, you have to look at the pin diagram, but they are the same width as a modern fuse. 12+ to marker light. I think they are side by side. You can also plug in a flasher. BTW do at you own risk.

Jim
Quote:

Originally Posted by Airstream Dad (Post 1228355)
I searched the forums for this, but couldn't find an illustration or how-to guide for how to insert a wire in my 7 way hitch plug so that 12V is supplied to the trailer running lights. It looked as simple as running a wire from one pin to another.

I saw this at a Fall rally and it nicely lit up my AS in the dark.

Does someone perhaps have this handy or can send a link to the right forums thread?

Best

Airstream Dad

Alumaholic 11-16-2012 03:37 PM

They are the top, two slots on either side of the molded indexing tab on the connector.
Just use a multi-meter to find the battery. The one next to it is the running lights.
I use an automotive fuse as a jumper.
The blades are the right size and the right distance apart.
Hope this helps.

Jammer 11-16-2012 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It can be done by jumpering the two terminals on either side of the indexing "ridge." See the diagram.

It is said to be poor etiquette to do this indiscriminately in a crowded campground.

I have added a switch inside my trailer for doing this because I have found that operating the running lights while parked is, as a practical matter, most useful when someone is trying to find the trailer in the rain.

Jim Clark 11-16-2012 03:44 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=7+pi...w=1280&bih=885
https://www.google.com/search?q=7+pi...w=1280&bih=885

https://www.google.com/search?q=7+pi...qi=2&ved=0CCwQ

Alumaholic 11-16-2012 03:44 PM

It's Only Poor Manners Because...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer (Post 1228364)
It is said to be poor etiquette to do this indiscriminately in a crowded campground.

...every wife in camp will ask her husband/partner why their Airstream isn't lit up like yours. It's embarrassing for them.

JStanley 11-16-2012 03:50 PM

I assume you have the standard 7-pin plug, where pin # 1 is ground and pin # 3 is for the running lights. Look at the end of the plug to see the pin ID numbers. You may want to get or make a diagram for the pin connections. The idea is to connect pin #3 to the pin #1 to complete the circuit. The way I did it was to buy a mating connector (like the type on you tow vehicle) and use #14 gage wire to connect those two pins together within the new connector. Wrap it in tape or seal it in plastic or hot glue. Then I just have to plug my connector into the Airstreamís plug. Itís safer to power the trailer running lights only when you are on shore power. Good luck.

Jammer 11-16-2012 04:04 PM

@Jim Clark: That diagram is so wrong I don't know where to start.

@JStanley: Connecting 1 and 3 won't do anything, you have to connect 3 and 4.

Alumaholic 11-16-2012 04:19 PM

Quite Right, Jammer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer (Post 1228378)

Jammer has it right.

Bk Yd Safari 11-16-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark (Post 1228358)
I don't use a wire I use a fuse, you have to look at the pin diagram, but they are the same width as a modern fuse. 12+ to marker light. I think they are side by side. You can also plug in a flasher. BTW do at you own risk.

Jim

what amp fuse?
thanks

Bigventure 11-16-2012 05:44 PM

Woodland travel Center sells a rubber cap that will turn on the running lights safely. It fits right over the plug. Just use google to find them.

AWCHIEF 11-16-2012 06:27 PM

Camperlite: CamperLite Camper Night Light, Camping Lites, RV Patio Lights, Travel Trailer Camping Lights***** - Home

TBRich 11-16-2012 06:34 PM

We use a device called a "FlashCube," but the company that made them is no longer around...it allows the tail lights to flash if you want as a safety feature (while unhitched parked along the road during an emergency, for instance)... and also the running lights to be on when unhitched ...

Here's another product now available called the RVGlow...if you don't want to make your own...it has a fuse in it, too... (I have no connection to this vendor.)...

pgr32e 11-16-2012 07:39 PM

I hard wired mine to a switch mounted on the front shelf behind the gaucho. Run a wire from the running light contact in the umbilical plug inside the front wall to a splice with two wires. One goes to a flasher then to one end contact of a single pole double throw switch. the other goes to the other end contact directly. from the center contact another wire goes to a fuse then to the 12v+ contact of the umbilical plug. Thus the switch is steady, off, flash. It looks kind of neat and if for some reason you have to leave your pride and joy on the side of the road it will be seen, at least for as long as the batteries hold out.....Phil.

Jim Clark 11-16-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer (Post 1228378)

Want to tell me why? Older style plug?

Jim

billymyers56 11-16-2012 08:38 PM

I made one of these and the middle is the ground.

RLS 11-16-2012 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what the manual shows;:)

Jim Foster 11-16-2012 10:16 PM

I got a two spade direction signal flasher (about $3.00) at an auto parts store, bent the spades slightly so they plug into the 12v and tail light slots in the plug. Looks pretty cool flashing.Will be handy if for any reason I ever have to disconnect the trailer and go for help at night.

Jim Foster 11-16-2012 10:55 PM

The flasher connects 3 and 4 in the plug to make the running and tail lights flash.

A wire with a fuse connected between 3 and 4 will keep the running and tail lights on.

ROBERTSUNRUS 11-16-2012 11:01 PM

Two home made units.

2 Attachment(s)
:) Hi, I made these two light control units. 10Amp fuses will work with LED tail lights, but I changed to a 20 Amp for those with regular bulbs.