Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   New Batteries (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/new-batteries-98302.html)

Rust 11-05-2012 09:49 PM

New Batteries

I started my vacation about two weeks ago ans when leaving Ontario we stopped after driving for 3 hours and wanted to get to sleep to cross the border early.
Went to turn on the furnace and it died within minutes. Batteries where not charged so I thought.
I thought I had the switch in the wrong possition at home while plugged in and they did not get a full charge. Wrong
Any ways after driving all day they still not take a charge.
When I got to our destination I checked things out and found out both batteries where no good. This is in a 2011 trailer I had for just over a year.
I have never had a battery problem in any of my years with trailer and now two have gone.
Has this happen to any one else after one year.
I do store them over the winter inside in the basement off the floor and do check them over this period, same as all my other batteries.
The ones in question are intersate batteries.
I just installed two new exide batteries since I needed them for when I head north and need the furnace.
I also believe there is only a pro rated warrenty and that airstream don't warrent them even though trailer is still under warrenty.

george

Safari-Rick 11-05-2012 11:07 PM

did you check the water level inside the batteries? If the cells went dry they can burn out and ...bingo! batteries are no good.

TouringDan 11-05-2012 11:15 PM

George

Sorry about your battery problems. Did you check the voltage before you installed them in the Airstream? I would probably charge them up before putting them in storage and then check the voltage before taking them out of storage. If the voltage has dropped any, then I would charge them up before installing in the Airstream and wait a day or two to make sure they are holding a charge. If they do not hold a charge, then they need to be replaced.

I suspect part of the problem is that you don't know what these batteries went through before you got the trailer. Now that you have new batteries, assuming your converter is working properly, you should be in pretty good shape.

Dan

ROBERTSUNRUS 11-05-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rust (Post 1224720)
The ones in question are intersate batteries.
I just installed two new exide batteries since I needed them for when I head north and need the furnace.
I also believe there is only a pro rated warranty and that Airstream don't warrant them even though trailer is still under warranty.

george

:) Hi, in most cases, tires and batteries are warrantied by an authorized dealer of that brand. [not the vehicle manufacturer]

Gene 11-06-2012 03:48 AM

The batteries may have been mistreated by the dealer or previous owners. There have been posts elsewhere about batteries failing shortly after purchase from a dealer.

Gene