Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/)
-   -   Best Coupler Locks? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/best-coupler-locks-96725.html)

Budget M3 02-12-2013 09:22 PM

Yes, Sum75, it is the MasterLock. $19 is a good price, too.

Sum75 02-14-2013 11:09 AM

FWIW: I've decided to go with the Megahitch Coupler Vault. Yes, as another poster stated, it is a pricier option, but it seems very well engineered and solidly built. Just placed the order yesterday and it's already in the mail. Coming from Oregon, just like my trailer will be next week! Funny coincidence. I wonder if it was manufactured here in the USA? If so, then certainly every dime is money well spent. Just my $0.02!

Goal15 02-16-2013 06:25 PM

Is anyone using this lock?

Diversi-Tech Universal Trailer Coupler Lock for 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" Couplers

it appears to be one that used to be branded Husky and i saw one on AS next to my new storage slot and it sure fits a lot better than my MasterLock that I had to modify to make it fit the lip of my coupler.

Sum75 02-16-2013 11:30 PM

Hi, Goal

I think the downside to that style of lock is the exposed shackle, which is theoretically easier for a thief to pry loose or cut through. But as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (repeatedly, I think), a determined thief won't be stopped by any lock! Just hoping to make it a headache for them so they'll find an easier target. The one I ordered arrived a few days ago... I'm impressed by its heft.

AIRSTREAMMTL 02-17-2013 05:13 AM

AMPLock, they adversise themselves as The Ultimate Anti-Theft Lock!

Amplock, The Ultimate protection recommended by insurers

Goal15 02-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum75 (Post 1262111)
Hi, Goal

I think the downside to that style of lock is the exposed shackle, which is theoretically easier for a thief to pry loose or cut through. But as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (repeatedly, I think), a determined thief won't be stopped by any lock! Just hoping to make it a headache for them so they'll find an easier target. The one I ordered arrived a few days ago... I'm impressed by its heft.

Thanks for the thoughts... did you order the one I asked about? I know that a determined thief is going to do what they are going to do but my storage space recommends coupler locks and i think a crowbar would probably remove my MasterLock one much quicker than someone could pry or cut this one off.

Mostly just hope that the crook would say... "well crap, one more thing I've got to deal with if I want to take someone else's property"..... because if they are criminals they are probably lazy as well as ignorant.

Inland RV Center, In 02-17-2013 12:04 PM

Coupler lock

Best coupler lock I ever heard of, was a simple sign, located in 3 to 4 windows.

WARNING

THIS TRAILER IS EQUIPPED WITHA MOTION SENSING BOMB.

ANY ATTEMPT TO MOVE IT WILL CAUSE THE BOMB TO EXPLODE, CAUSING COMPLETE DESTRUCTION WITHIN 150 FEET.

:D:lol:

Andy

urnmor 02-17-2013 12:07 PM

I have been using MegaHitch Coupler Lock for the Airstream for more then a year.It works well. It is heavy duty and is tough to get to the lock section as it is on the back side and tought to see.

Drathaar 02-17-2013 02:38 PM

Another thumbs up for the MegaHitch. Here's an image of the Airstream model. As Urnmor mentioned, there's a barrel lock on the trailer side. It can be awkward to get to, but it would make it hard for a thief to get in there.

https://www.megahitchlock.com/images/...am%20With2.gif

Toll Free: (855) 888-MEGA

Kyle401 02-17-2013 03:11 PM

I've used a Masterlock MLK379 for years on my boat then Airstream. I don't know if it's the best one, but it has been 100% effective thus far. It did successfully prevent the utility company from moving my Airstream without my permission while I was at work. However, they probably didn't have the same mindset of the typical thief.

I paid less than $20 for it 8 years ago and it's been outside ever since. The chrome finish still looks good and it functions perfectly.

Sylver Slypr 02-18-2013 12:00 PM

Just voice mail-still no response

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylver Slypr (Post 1260325)
My envelope was inside the marked one and it had the correct return address for Guardian. I think I will give them a call to get to the bottom of this.

The site is still up but no phone response or e-mail

Sum75 02-18-2013 01:05 PM

Hmmm... Sylvr, does sound like the company has gone out of business. I went with the mega hitch coupler, seems really solid (it feels like it weighs 10lbs).

OregonCanuck 02-18-2013 02:20 PM

I use the MegaHitch coupler lock on my 2012 AS Flying Cloud. Watch the MegaHitch company produced YouTube video on how their lock is more effective than the other style hitch locks that are currently available.

mefly2 02-19-2013 08:54 AM

The coupler/hitch lock (even the more expensive ones) will not prevent a determined thief. All they need is a pry bar or your safety chains to tow away *** unless you immobilize the tire/wheel(s). Suggest a short length of padded chain and an armored bicycle lock to tie either two wheels together or a single wheel and shackle ... much more effective IMHO.

Inland RV Center, In 02-19-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 1263120)
The coupler/hitch lock (even the more expensive ones) will not prevent a determined thief. All they need is a pry bar or your safety chains to tow away *** unless you immobilize the tire/wheel(s). Suggest a short length of padded chain and an armored bicycle lock to tie either two wheels together or a single wheel and shackle ... much more effective IMHO.

The chains can just as easily be cut.

Removing wheels usually is the best, along with adding locking stud nuts.

That prevents reinstalling wheels.

Andy

Sum75 02-19-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 1263120)

Do you think the chain is adequate? I was thinking of supplementing my hitch lock with a trimax wheel lock- it's like the boot that police use.

rodsterinfl 02-19-2013 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Geez, looking over these posts I realized that I posted the wrong coupler lock. Here is mine. Got my DAT XXXX's messed up:

rodsterinfl 02-19-2013 08:24 PM

Interesting note. At the Sarasota WBCCI State Rally I learned that while traveling the trailer hitch latch should only be clipped shut with a clamp or something - not a lock. The reason... safety in the event or need of disconnecting the tow vehicle from the trailer. I just always used a padlock.

Kyle401 02-19-2013 11:04 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know someone who had their camper or trailer stolen while secured by a coupler or wheel lock (of any type).

The only folks that I know who had trailers stolen weren't using any kind of lock. Thieves just hitched conventionally and left.

mefly2 02-19-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 1263123)
The chains can just as easily be cut.

Removing wheels usually is the best, along with adding locking stud nuts.

That prevents reinstalling wheels.

Andy

Wheel lug nut locks assumed ...