Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   CareFree awning instructions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/carefree-awning-instructions-93608.html)

batt 07-11-2012 07:27 AM

CareFree awning instructions

My 74 airstream has a carefree awning in the curb side. Does anyone have instructions on how to open it. I have never opened it and want to inspect the awning.

mimiandrews 07-11-2012 07:47 AM

Carefree has a wonderful video that you can download. I know I have it on this computer somewhere, but can't find it now. Check Carefree's website.

wahoonc 07-11-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batt (Post 1172833)
My 74 airstream has a carefree awning in the curb side. Does anyone have instructions on how to open it. I have never opened it and want to inspect the awning.

IF it like the one I have...

You make sure to unlock the road latches, little black plastic clips on the arms about eye level. Then you reach up with a long rod and push the little lever at the front end of the roller, IIRC It says open and close on it. THEN you take the same rod with a hook on the end and grab the loop that should be hanging out from somewhere around the middle of the rolled up awning. If everything goes right it should unroll, you have to pull on it because you are winding up the springs that roll it back up.

Good luck!

Aaron:cool:

Jim in Pima 07-16-2012 09:56 AM

My 1976 Carefree Awning does not have locks per se, on the arms about 2/3 of the way up on the mounting bracket are metal blocks with a bar sticking out, press the outside of the arm in and move this bar up, this unlocks the arms, I use shock cords to keep thses block up.
Next, if the pull down strap is missing, get a helper and pull the support arms out to open the awning.
Once open take the inner arms and lock the awning open.

Bauxter 07-16-2012 10:28 AM

Carefree User Manual

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached the Carefree manual, as a pdf document.

Jim in Pima 07-17-2012 11:17 AM

carefree awning questions

Hi, Thanks for the manual, question is: can I replace the metal end caps with the
plastic ones I have??? I see both were used. Has anyone done this???
How do the plastic ones attach, the metal have 3/16 steel rivets hold them.
Thanks a lot
Jim
ps a neighbor owes me a favor, guess what that will be :brows:

angellhill 07-18-2012 07:03 PM

We were just about to open the awning for the first time on our new 78 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre. Since it was a little confusing, I checked on the Forum and sure enough - there was someone with the same question AND another helpful AS friend with the PDF file. Awning was opened successfully (although it does seem there should be a way to lock the crossarm into the support arm more securely). Thank you so much!

Mike Leary 07-20-2012 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This could be the wrong thread, but someone was kind enough to supply the brand of sealer for our zip dees, as one of them is leaking in heavy rain, and I can't find the post. Any help?