Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Restoration Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Keys ? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/keys-89852.html)

dkrukosky 04-12-2012 07:49 AM

Keys ?

1.My 1975 overland did not come with any keys... what can I do? I have done a search on the forum and found that apparently they all use the same keys? but is it possible to buy them or do I need to go to a lock smith? replace all the locks $$$$? I am confused and new so be gentle..

Inland RV Center, In 04-12-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrukosky (Post 1132827)
1.My 1975 overland did not come with any keys... what can I do? I have done a search on the forum and found that apparently they all use the same keys? but is it possible to buy them or do I need to go to a lock smith? replace all the locks $$$$? I am confused and new so be gentle..

Basically, the keys are not available.

However, a new tumbler comes with 2 keys.

The tumbler takes about 10 seconds to replace.

Andy

Melody Ranch 04-12-2012 08:42 AM

I pulled my Caravel to the local Locksmith and he made new keys (and spares!!) for all the locks right then and there.

It was about a 20 dollar job. He probably did what Andy said here.

dkrukosky 04-12-2012 10:41 AM

do the pop locks on compartments and main door use the same tumbler?

c_lewis77 04-12-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody Ranch (Post 1132844)
I pulled my Caravel to the local Locksmith and he made new keys (and spares!!) for all the locks right then and there.

It was about a 20 dollar job. He probably did what Andy said here.

Same here. Locksmith made all the keys in about 15 minutes. No big deal.

Inland RV Center, In 04-12-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrukosky (Post 1132890)
do the pop locks on compartments and main door use the same tumbler?

No, they are totally different.

Andy

AWCHIEF 04-12-2012 01:48 PM

My Bambi II takes 6 different keys get into everything. 4 for compartments and 2 for the door. Plus 4 different keys for the hitch set up. Total pain. Low priorty but I am going to change them all out to match (as much as possible) one of these days.

Jammer 04-12-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrukosky (Post 1132827)

I believe that the compartment doors are standard, and are available from Airstream and other sources. There used to be a chart on the airstream web site but it's gone now. You should be able to get the compartment door keys here:

Keys : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

For the door keys you can, as others have posted, either replace the lock or have a locksmith make keys.

Inland RV Center, In 04-13-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer (Post 1132998)
I believe that the compartment doors are standard, and are available from Airstream and other sources. There used to be a chart on the airstream web site but it's gone now. You should be able to get the compartment door keys here:

Keys : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

For the door keys you can, as others have posted, either replace the lock or have a locksmith make keys.

No need to replace the lock.

Tumbler replacements are available for the KT lock that was used from 1970 to 1977.

Andy

dkrukosky 04-16-2012 06:58 AM

ok so new cylinder for the door and replacement key for the hatches. Now just a full restoration and a tow vehicle and I am ready to go...

Wayne&Sam 04-16-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrukosky (Post 1134359)
ok so new cylinder for the door and replacement key for the hatches. Now just a full restoration and a tow vehicle and I am ready to go...

You're practically done!