Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   On this solemn occasion... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/on-this-solemn-occasion-89561.html)

zlee 04-04-2012 08:06 PM

On this solemn occasion...

Okay, not so solemn. Today I actually backed into my parking space all by myself! No one was around to help me back in, so I stopped every foot or so until I was confident of where the trailer was going. Had to pull forward a bit twice, but...yippeee!

Also, I dumped the tanks for the first time, but that's not nearly so much fun to crow about. :)

Janet H 04-04-2012 08:13 PM

Woot! Congratulations. If no one was around to help you back in I guess that means they weren't around to watch the backing entertainment either.

Having an audience always seems to ratchet up the adrenaline a bit.... ;)

zlee 04-04-2012 08:13 PM

Yeah, I was pretty happy about that. :)

MrUKToad 04-04-2012 08:13 PM

Hurrah!

You might need to watch this before you tackle the next dump....

Mary Poppins: A Spoonful Of Sugar - YouTube

zlee 04-04-2012 08:22 PM

hahaha!

danlehosky 04-04-2012 08:32 PM

Congratulations. In perspective dumping your tanks was pretty significant as well. If you don't dump them they will "back up" your trailer quicker and better than you can at this point. I've been backing up for years. It's bound to happen. Sorry about the juvenile potty humor. Sometimes I can"t help myself.
Dan

Stefrobrts 04-04-2012 08:37 PM

I have no problem dumping the tanks, but I have been stricken with 'back-up-itis', leaving me unable to maneuver my trailer in a backwards direction, no matter how many helpful people explain how easy it is to me - so congrats!!!

mcair 04-04-2012 08:51 PM

Way to go Z!

Aage 04-04-2012 08:57 PM

Wtg!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlee (Post 1129638)
Okay, not so solemn. Today I actually backed into my parking space all by myself! No one was around to help me back in, so I stopped every foot or so until I was confident of where the trailer was going. Had to pull forward a bit twice, but...yippeee!

Yay!!! Feels good, right? Good for you, zeelee! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlee (Post 1129638)
Also, I dumped the tanks for the first time, but that's not nearly so much fun to crow about. :)

Double yay! :flowers: They grow up so quickly :wally:

Gene 04-04-2012 08:59 PM

Great. You sound as happy as my wife was when she first towed ours. Then came her first gas station and she didn't tear off the roof! I haven't gotten her to back up yet though.

Gene

zlee 04-04-2012 09:15 PM

I think it's hilarious that successfully backing the trailer makes me feel this pleased. I am so uncool. :lol:

DKB_SATX 04-04-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefrobrts (Post 1129658)
I have no problem dumping the tanks, but I have been stricken with 'back-up-itis', leaving me unable to maneuver my trailer in a backwards direction, no matter how many helpful people explain how easy it is to me - so congrats!!!

In general, the ability to successfully place the trailer where you want it is INVERSELY proportional to the number of "helpful people" offering direction at the time of backing. 1 seems to be the ideal number, 0 is workable. More than 1 is just a cluster.... of chaos. ;)

Nuvite-F 04-04-2012 09:54 PM

Congratulations!

The backing part was a milestone accomplishment. As many have pointed out before me, you always do a perfect job of that when nobody's around to see it. If you have an audience you will be backing and filling for hours, trying to ignore all the helpful advice.

Congratulations also on a successful dump. I will have to see if I can find the Royal Order of the Black Tank medal that I received when I rebuilt the brass dump valve on our 1960 Pacer. It was a tiny gold potty plunger on a blue satin ribbon. (Well, OK, brass, not gold, but it looked pretty impressive.)

overlander64 04-04-2012 10:22 PM

On this solemn occasion...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1129709)
In general, the ability to successfully place the trailer where you want it is INVERSELY proportional to the number of "helpful people" offering direction at the time of backing. 1 seems to be the ideal number, 0 is workable. More than 1 is just a cluster.... of chaos. ;)

I would also suggest that the second rule is that the longer you have been on the road, the closer the approaching storm, or the closer the approaching darkness . . . the greater is the probability that you will be the main attraction of the way not to back a trailer coach performance for the evening . . . as a Free Wheeler, I hate to think how many times I have been the feature attraction for the evening performance.

Kevin

P.S.: In the days of Caravanning before the advent of GPS devices, I was known as "Wrong-Way-Corrigan" as I could take unintended detours no matter how good the Caravan leader's directions were . . . and I could be counted on to be the last caravanner to arrive at a destination no matter whether I was first or last to leave on the morning's tour . . . which meant that there was nearly always an audience for my parking maneuvers . . .

JFScheck 04-04-2012 10:27 PM

That is most wonderful news - the feeling of independence just can not be beat!

c_lewis77 04-04-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUKToad
Hurrah!

You might need to watch this before you tackle the next dump....

Mary Poppins: A Spoonful Of Sugar - YouTube

...or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUauH...e_gdata_player

zlee 04-04-2012 11:41 PM

I KNEW that would come up sooner or later! hahaha!

c_lewis77 04-05-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlee
I KNEW that would come up sooner or later! hahaha!

Somebody HAD to, I was just getting it out of the way :)
I always feel that way when I go to the places that don't have sewer hookups!

maccamper 04-05-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlee (Post 1129698)
I think it's hilarious that successfully backing the trailer makes me feel this pleased. I am so uncool. :lol:

Not at all hilarious that you should feel so pleased --- you are my "good example." (though some might think it more fun to be the "horrible warning"* :angel:

Nancy Mac

*(referring to the Catherine Aird quote)

Lily&Me 04-05-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlee (Post 1129698)

Good for you, I say! What an accomplishment! :clap:

Mastering any new learning curve gives us that nice inner feeling of satisfaction.

Not uncool, at all. Take your joy where you can find it, and be proud. :)

Maggie