Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   Zip Dee awning repair. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/zip-dee-awning-repair-89471.html)

ck21084 04-02-2012 11:35 AM

Zip Dee awning repair.

This weekend we were at Disney's Ft. Wilderness camping. We had the awning up and did not expect any fowl weather until well after we returned. Well we returned to an awning full of water with a bent roller tube and supports. I was able to retract the awning by helping it up and get home. When we arrived home we opened it up and with help from the family I was able to put the roller tube on my shoulder and lift in the middle while my father and brother held each end down. This was not easy but it worked. It took a lot of force to true it straight ( each person weights 200lbs and their feet were dangling. )

Next was the arms. I placed them between two pieces of wood and then another piece on top and used a sledge hammer with small blows to straighten them both.

I am happy to report that the awning now works better than ever.

masseyfarm 04-02-2012 03:22 PM

So now you think we should carry a sledge hammer too? :brows:

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck21084 (Post 1128491)
This weekend we were at Disney's Ft. Wilderness camping. We had the awning up and did not expect any fowl weather until well after we returned. Well we returned to an awning full of water with a bent roller tube and supports. I was able to retract the awning by helping it up and get home. When we arrived home we opened it up and with help from the family I was able to put the roller tube on my shoulder and lift in the middle while my father and brother held each end down. This was not easy but it worked. It took a lot of force to true it straight ( each person weights 200lbs and their feet were dangling. )

Next was the arms. I placed them between two pieces of wood and then another piece on top and used a sledge hammer with small blows to straighten them both.

I am happy to report that the awning now works better than ever.

Wayne&Sam 04-02-2012 03:25 PM

Awning rule #1: Never leave it extended and unattended.

Awning rule #2 - 10: Never leave it extended and unattended.

Splitrock 04-02-2012 05:12 PM

Pictures of the 200 lb danglers?

`

dznf0g 04-02-2012 06:30 PM

I did the same thing last year. Had to replace one of the end support square tubes. I did the opposite with the roller tube. I had 2 guys "hold up" the ends and I hung and bounced a little on the "hoop-de-doo" in the up position. I still have a little bow in it and need to invite those 2 guys back over to finesse it.

I have heard some use 2 ladders and hang from the bend...I don't have 2 step ladders!

casa3805 04-02-2012 06:48 PM

Yep, I did it too...

2 Attachment(s)
I think you owe us pictures....:rolleyes: We also walked away and a wind came up so quickly, and was so intense that I had no doubt my awning would be in Kansas when we got back. I think the straps and bungees staked into the ground saved it. But not without damage. I was also able to fix it though..Lucky to be parked under a bunch of cedars that were perfect for re-shaping... Made it several more trips before I broke down and bought one of the rods that I just could never get quite straight...
Learn as you go I guess...:wally: Glad you were able to fix yours. Those are tuff products!!

ThreeFingers 04-02-2012 07:20 PM

I had the same problem with ours, ended up contacting ZipDee and ordered two new stainless steal support arms to replace the solid aluminum ones. So far I have not been able to bend them. I have also been going by the awning rules:
Awning rule #1: Never leave it extended and unattended.

Awning rule #2 - 10: Never leave it extended and unattended.

Chuck

slowmover 04-09-2012 08:16 PM

The trailer in my sig suffered significant skin punctures from gale winds that came up for the PO on "just a little trip where they were gone an hour or so. Awning ripped and arm at trailer front became a spear. Even the tougher, thicker anodized on a Silver Streak was no match. We bought new arms once we owned it.

Texas and awnings: damned if you do, and damned if you do without.