Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1960 - 1964 Overlander (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f109/)
-   -   New project | 1964 Overlander (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f109/new-project-1964-overlander-88805.html)

Janet H 03-16-2012 06:52 PM

New project | 1964 Overlander

4 Attachment(s)
We have a new project! This Overlander was used as a clubhouse by a duck hunting club for many years and has a brand new spot in our side yard awaiting TLC.

Here are some before pics and the project list is long. It's mostly original inside. Fans, systems, furnace, axles, all untouched through the decades (read rusty, old and rotted) and we're only just starting to make a list of items to be addressed. The floor and frame seems to be in good shape, the toilet is original, every bit of rubber is rotten, every gasket needs to be replaced.

Prior to towing it home we spent several hours at a tire shop getting new rims, tires and bearings. The original split rims were still on and the trip home was 700 miles. After years of towing our tiny Minuet this seems like a palace.

Attachment 153558

Attachment 153555
Attachment 153556
Attachment 153557

cbcnm 03-16-2012 08:28 PM

thats a sweet looking project. i look forward to the updates and photos.

Sodbust 03-16-2012 09:21 PM

Great Find!

Keep us updated with photos,.

Sodbust

InsideOut 03-16-2012 09:46 PM

https://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif AWESOME Janet!

I hate to mention it, the cabinets, bathroom & stove/oven & everything looks like a '64...but the tags & VIN # are wrong. Based on the tags & VIN # it should be a late CA built 1958, see this 1958 Overlander vs. this 1964 Overlander. Odd.

Looks to be in great shape regardless...have fun!

Shari :flowers:

Janet H 03-16-2012 09:56 PM

It looks exactly like this - minus the shine, luster and working systems...

The vin is S126420460

That last image in post was from the sale advert... I suppose I shoudl go wipe to dirt and mud off the plate and have a look - but I am almost 100 percent sure it's a 64.

InsideOut 03-16-2012 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it looks like a '64...I was just basing my comment on the last pic in your first post:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...7&d=1331945384

These are typical of a 1958 and the VIN # that's stamped is 1958.

You're right, VIN # SI26420460 is typical for a '64. The 64 plates are much larger (they look like the one on our old '64 GT - see attached below), are located below the windows next to the door and include the raised script "Overlander" emblem too. Based on this VIN, it's got the International package - cool! The International plate says "International" and also has a raised frame around it.

Didn't mean to throw you for a loop - I just was confused by the pic...

Janet H 03-16-2012 10:41 PM

It is the International and has a very cool upholstered ceiling which seems to be in pretty good shape.

The oven door is a light minty green color. Any idea what the original color would have been?

Blue Pearl 03-17-2012 12:06 AM

Now the fun begins

Looks good, will you have it ready for TL:)?

InsideOut 03-17-2012 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The stove in our '64 looked the same basic style but was a taupe that matched the countertops. Yours sure looks like the same vintage as ours was...might be original.

overlander63 03-17-2012 05:46 AM

Janet, In our Overlander the oven door was brown.

Aviator 03-17-2012 06:11 AM

Great Project!

tinman54 03-17-2012 06:21 AM

Looks like lots of fun ahead! Hopefully everything looks as nice under the cabinets! Looks almost ready to camp.

HiHoAgRV 03-17-2012 08:33 AM

It's a '64...the door hinges and gutter are specific to 1964.

3Ms75Argosy 03-17-2012 09:35 AM

Wait wait wait... what happened to the OTHER Argosy project? His, Hers, and the Michelle's trailers? :)

Looks like Gary's got enough work lined up for "retirement" to keep him busy for awhile!
Miss you guys!!
Marc

safari57 03-17-2012 10:02 AM

Nice trailer Janet.

Looking forward to seeing its progression, and when it is done.

I've not been in a trailer yet that has the padded ceiling so it will be interesting to see how that looks. Does this mean it also has padded walls by the beds? Definitely an option I want to add to our Tradewind. Those walls get darned chilly.

Janet H 03-17-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Pearl (Post 1121239)
Looks good, will you have it ready for TL:)?

Maybe? We might get the systems and vents and windows sealed by then... but it's going to be a stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut (Post 1121245)
The stove in our '64 looked the same basic style but was a taupe that matched the countertops.

The stove looks exactly the same as yours but the color is different. I can't see any signs that it was recoated with that minty page green but surely it can't be an original color...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy (Post 1121326)
Wait wait wait... what happened to the OTHER Argosy project? His, Hers, and the Michelle's trailers? :)

The reardoor is still a project but truthfully the longer we camped the more DH wanted a dedicated bed. So we have switched gears. The fate of the rear door is still up in the air. It has new axles, the frame is fixed, a new floor is in, but there is much to be done and we want to go camping! We made a decision to change our focus, energy and funds to a trailer that meets our needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by safari57 (Post 1121331)
I've not been in a trailer yet that has the padded ceiling so it will be interesting to see how that looks. Does this mean it also has padded walls by the beds? Definitely an option I want to add to our Tradewind. Those walls get darned chilly.

Yes it has the same padding next to beds. Our minuet also has those pads and they are a nice addition. The construction of those pads is pretty simple. A flexible board (like corrugated plastic panels aka plastic cardboard) covered with batting and then fabric. Tack it all together with fabric glue and then rivet it to the side wall.

Janet H 07-20-2012 05:42 PM

Thought an update might be in order.... we've been busy..

• New axles have been installed.
  • All plumbing lines have been replaced (mostly with pex)
  • A new small grey tank has been added just behind the rear axle, streetside.
  • All services that were located in the back and accessible from the rear access door have been moved forward. we got a lot of weight out of the back end this way.
    • The batteries are now just behind the curbside axle, the new charging system has been added at the streetside axle and the old electric panel has been relocated to inside the bathroom closet (streetside).
  • All wiring has been replaced.
  • Gary built a new bumper compartment (the old one was in bad shape)
  • New dump valves have been plumbed in.
  • Fans have been replaced with fantastics, the astro-dome has been replaced.
  • New vent covers have been added.
  • The old furnace has been replaced and hole patched.
  • The old water heater has been replaced and the hole patched

We've finally started working on the interior and are running into some interesting challenges.

There were two rotted spots in the floor - one by the front door and the other just under the bathroom vent - neither one was large and they've been patched.

There is an interior light missing and I've found a replacement, I still need another. (see signature for details). The brown crinkle paint that was used to paint these is no longer available. Some experimentation with a similar color of rustoleum, spray shellac and heat got good results and blessedly, no explosions.

We are stuck on a suitable doorknob replacement. The old one seems to be original but is not keyed. it needs to be replaced and I'm having a tough time finding a one. The knob protrudes only 2 inches from the door; most knobs stick out 2 1/2 inches. More than that will dent the trailer skin when the door is opened. The knob is brass and has a round escutcheon.

Any ideas??

Janet H 08-05-2012 11:31 AM

Considering layout change to 64 Overlander

4 Attachment(s)
We are partway a rehab project on a 1964 overlander and now that we've spent some time in this trailer are contemplating a layout change in the living area and I was looking for some advice.

Here is the current layout:

Attachment 164877

This trailer has windows, on both the street side and the curbside. On the Curb side there are two jalousie windows and on the street side there is a single pane window above and a non-stock jalousie below. Here's a typical 64 window setup (not our trailer - will update with current pic):

Attachment 164880

We are considering adding more seating - an L shaped arrangement with a pull out bed and a folding, pedestal mounted table (removable). Making this change would necessitate changing the street side window to either remove it or make it a half height window (like the 65 models).

Attachment 164878

The window might look something like this 65 window:

Attachment 164879

Questions:

Has anyone ever done this?
Is it simply unthinkable to make this kind of change to a vintage trailer?
What structural challenges could we anticipate?
Any recommendations for decent looking patches?

overlander63 08-05-2012 01:11 PM

I remember "back when" somebody simply installed a pretty looking curtain in that window so it looked "normal" from outside, and blocked it off on the inside. Simply seal up the window so it looks normal and doesn"t leak, and perform the mods inside. Then, if you decide later the interior changes looked better on paper thanin practice, it would be easy to undo, and the purists wouldn't gnash their teeth at you.

overlander64 08-05-2012 01:16 PM

Considering layout change to 64 Overlander

Greetings Janet!

The modification that you propose has been done on one coach of which I am aware. The owner wanted a U-shaped seating area in the front. To accomplish this goal, the lower half of the curbside jalousie windows were removed as was the lower window unit on the streetside. In both cases, I believe, the patch panel was an overlay that ran from the remaining window to the banana wrap. There are a number of approaches to patching the area, but replacing the entire streetside panel would be time consuming and expensive . . . creating a patch panel the covers the opening to be closed extending to the nearest current rivet line and riveting the new panel as an overlay is probably the least expensive approach . . . and despite the sound, an overlay does not have to stand out like a sore thumb. I was convinced to go with an overlay when my '64 Overlander had to have the streetside panel repaired after an unfortunate encounter with a gatepost . . .

The resulting overlay panel is in the photo below . . . I know where it is and those familiar with '64 Overlanders will be able to spot the difference, but I accept it as a necessary evil to repair more sightly damage . . . .

https://www.airforums.com/attachments..._after-med.jpg

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The necessity of covering the lower window opening would mean that your overlay would start immediately below the level of the existing living room and kitchen windows so the seam would fall much more naturally than on the overlay panel on my coach . . . you biggest concern would be determining the ideal place to end the overlay to the rear.