Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/)
-   -   HItch ball height via AS and via Leveling (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/hitch-ball-height-via-as-and-via-leveling-88633.html)

mefly2 03-12-2012 09:24 PM

HItch ball height via AS and via Leveling

Another try on this subject ...
I was just a bit unsure of myself with the ~3" disparity between what the AS factory (and owner manual) says the hitch ball height should be (17.75") and what I actually need by leveling the trailer fore and aft and then measuring the distance from the cement ground to the inside of the coupler (20.5-.75").

If you are using the AS factory recommendation of 17.75", I'd really like to hear your experiences. I do not have self-leveling suspension and am concerned that AS would provide a specification that is that far off of my own experience.

Friday 03-12-2012 11:44 PM

The trailer won't be perfectly level it it's spec'd towing alignment.

dznf0g 03-13-2012 07:21 AM

I've yet to hear of two AS'es which sit at the same height...well OK that's an exageration, but.... My Classic is spec'ed at 18.75" in the book. Fully loaded with about 1200 lbs over the UVW, it sits at 19" from top of coupler to ground. So it too was born higher than "spec". (BTW, that was BEFORE switching to 16" wheels, so it's really at about 19.5" now)

I think the point here, is for you to load up the gal like you're going camping, with proper tire inflation, level the AS front to back, and get your particular unit's height from top of coupler to ground. Then work your hitch and TV numbers. (Don't forget to simulate your typical loaded vehicle weight).

As a starting point, I have found that setting the ball height about 1" above the coupler height is typically close. You'll then have to dial it in.

There are plenty of folks here that can help with that once you get the basics done.

ROBERT CROSS 03-13-2012 07:34 AM

what dz said....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznf0g (Post 1119192)
I've yet to hear of two AS'es which sit at the same height...well OK that's an exageration, but.... My Classic is spec'ed at 18.75" in the book. Fully loaded with about 1200 lbs over the UVW, it sits at 19" from top of coupler to ground. So it too was born higher than "spec". (BTW, that was BEFORE switching to 16" wheels, so it's really at about 19.5" now)

I think the point here, is for you to load up the gal like you're going camping, with proper tire inflation, level the AS front to back, and get your particular unit's height from top of coupler to ground. Then work your hitch and TV numbers. (Don't forget to simulate your typical loaded vehicle weight).

As a starting point, I have found that setting the ball height about 1" above the coupler height is typically close. You'll then have to dial it in.

There are plenty of folks here that can help with that once you get the basics done.

X2

"I was just a bit unsure of myself with the ~3" disparity between what the AS factory (and owner manual) says the hitch ball height should be."

The operative word there being "should". As with the factory weights, consider all AS numbers as suspect.

Load the trailer, level it, measure from ground to inside top of ball socket=real world TH.

Bob
:rolleyes:

mefly2 03-13-2012 02:15 PM

Thank you for the input; your experience shared with us is very much appreciated. I just wanted confirmation that what I have done is the proper procedure ... still hard to believe that AS puts out a spec that far off the mark.:innocent:

AWCHIEF 03-13-2012 02:56 PM

mefly2, Don't feel bad. Mine specs at 18 inches, current real world is about 13. It is 48 years old so of course my axle is shot. New one has been on order for 6 weeks, hopefully will show up sometime this month.