Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Motorhome Topics (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f160/)
-   -   Univolt Removal '89 345LE (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f160/univolt-removal-89-345le-86430.html)

crazeevw 01-10-2012 09:08 PM

Univolt Removal '89 345LE

Maybe someone can help me on this. I have an '89 345LE. I'm replacing the Univolt, but really have no idea where to start with removal. I believe the Univolt is behind the power panel in the kitchen area.
If anyone has any tips for removal (ie, easiest way), I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks, Derek

cooperhawk 01-11-2012 08:20 AM

Ours was under the stove. Easiest way to remove it was to remove the stove first. (Not too big a job). Just turn off the gas, remove mounting screws and lift it out. Then the Univolt is right there.

crazeevw 01-11-2012 07:14 PM

Cooperhawk
I got into mine today. I have 3 drawers in the area between sink and stove. Pulled the drawers, and can look right down to the Univolt. Any suggestions on wiring?
Thanks, Derek

Mike Leary 01-11-2012 07:43 PM

The question would be: why are you pulling the Univolt?

crazeevw 01-11-2012 08:14 PM

because the Univolt is barely keeping coach batteries charged, Mike.

cooperhawk 01-13-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazeevw (Post 1092769)
Cooperhawk
I got into mine today. I have 3 drawers in the area between sink and stove. Pulled the drawers, and can look right down to the Univolt. Any suggestions on wiring?
Thanks, Derek

We went to Camping World and bought a new unit. Not a Univolt. The rewiring is pretty straight forward. Mainly just hook it up like the old one.

Have you had your batteries tested to see if they're good?

crazeevw 01-13-2012 02:20 PM

looks like I'm almost going to have to tear out kitchen to get to my Univolt though. I'll get some pix and post next.
Thanks, Derek

3 Dog Nite 01-14-2012 07:44 AM

Derek,
you don't have to tear out the kitchen to remove the EnerGenius. I had to replace mine last October. It is accessable by removing the drawers above it. Just take them out & leave the cabinet. I had put a peice of scrap plexiglass on the floor so sliding it would not scratch the floor. I reused the power distribution box. Just gut the inside & mount the new converter there. Leave the generator switch over mounted inside. You'll need that for generator use. You can see it in the upper left corner of the photo posted in the link below. It's the black thing with the yellow wire nuts in the 2nd photo. I had to drill some new holes in the case to allow for adequate ventilation. Check this link for some photos. i used the Inteli Power PD9245C. You can see it in the bottom photo.
Ricky

cooperhawk 01-14-2012 09:20 AM

I guess different years were set up differently. Ours was directly under the stove. Couldn't get to it from the drawer area. Pulling the stove wasn't all that hard by the way.

Intellipower is what we put in.