Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Leaning Tower of Airstream (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/leaning-tower-of-airstream-83337.html)

hoppingviola 10-05-2011 10:42 AM

Leaning Tower of Airstream

Hi there,
I'm working on a '77 27' beauty - did most of the work last winter, including putting brandy new Dexter axles on - had that done professionally, as the price was only $100 more than doing it myself. Thought it was well worth it.

So - pulled into my wintering spot and have noticed that there is a noticeable lean to the left. I'm at a loss as to how to even diagnose what exactly is wrong. What should I check first? How bad is this likely to be?

Thanks for the advice,
Elliot

Inland RV Center, In 10-05-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppingviola (Post 1055194)
Hi there,
I'm working on a '77 27' beauty - did most of the work last winter, including putting brandy new Dexter axles on - had that done professionally, as the price was only $100 more than doing it myself. Thought it was well worth it.

So - pulled into my wintering spot and have noticed that there is a noticeable lean to the left. I'm at a loss as to how to even diagnose what exactly is wrong. What should I check first? How bad is this likely to be?

Thanks for the advice,
Elliot

Check the axles out.

Could be a bad rubber rod, even in a new axle.

Check to see how much of the tire is visable "ABOVE" the top of the wheel. Then also measure the distance from the groung to the bottom of the wheel well molding.

Andy

overlander63 10-05-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice,
Elliot

Many Airstream trailers, in fact, most RV's, will lean to one side or the other, because one side is heavier. Just because it's leaning doesn't neccessarily mean there's really anything wrong with it.
You can check the obvious things, like outriggers poking out of the belly pan wrap, and interior structure components that have poked holes in the interior ceiling.

Ag&Au 10-05-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice,
Elliot

My theory is that the brandy in the new axles is making it tipsy.

:lol:

Ken