Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1974 - 1979 Sovereign (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Update-1974 Sovereign (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/update-1974-sovereign-80188.html)

derf 07-25-2011 11:19 PM

Update-1974 Sovereign

Not sure how this works I'm better with hand tools so here goes.
We bought a 1974 Sovereign 31' rear bath about 2 years ago and to date have made the following additions.
  • Remove the plastic bathroom fixtures sink, tub,wall panels
  • replaced copper piping with pex
  • painted all plastic fixtures
  • inspect plywood floor (no soft or rotten areas)
  • reinstalled all bath fixtures and metal trims,( still need some 1" plastic inserts)
  • installed a new electronic hot water heater (10 gallon)
  • replaced univolt with new 55 watt intelli charger
  • installed new toilet
  • installed new sheet flooring in bath area
  • installed new furnace
  • installed new Norcold refer
  • installed new awning
  • installed new propane tanks and hoses
  • check for leaks at all fittings with soapy water
  • installed new stove top and formica top
  • installed new bamboo floor
  • and now I'm refinishing all of the windows with new screen, painted frames, and mirror tinting
I also had the local tire dealer install 5 new radial tires, brakes, and bearings.
Last week we had our first real outing, Cultus lake, Oregon 7 days with only a few problems.
  • the water pump didn't keep up pressure with just one facet on.
  • the Norcold refer would flash "lo dc" when the furnace, or lights were on (no power, water, or sewer connections at Cultus Lake) even though the battery condition showed "Good". I have just one 12 volt rv battery a cheap one I bought 2 years ago to use during construction. I used a portable generator for 2 hours each day
So the question I have is what pump should I install, and what battery should I install.
Derf

StreamRollin 07-26-2011 12:56 PM

Wow, sounds like you've been busy and would love to see photos of your hard work. I can't help you with your two questions, but try searching these threads:

Plumbing: Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures - Airstream Forums
Electrical: Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar - Airstream Forums

Wendy

Aage 07-26-2011 02:32 PM

I wonder if the low water pump pressure was due in any way to the low battery? Worth getting a better battery before pitching the water pump, no?

Were you running the refer on LP gas or 12V DC, by the way?

derf 07-26-2011 11:18 PM

The Norcold Refer runs on AC or LP, however it requires DC for T-stat and monitor operations. I'm home now and I will check voltage and pump pressure while on shore power. I'm going to try to post some photos this weekend if I can find a 10 year old to show me how.

Aage 07-27-2011 04:49 PM

Hehe, I know what you mean about posting pictures. It's mostly about not exceeding the allowable size. Have a look at this post by our own online whiz, Janet. It gives a very good explanation.

derf 08-08-2011 11:10 PM

update w/ photos

2 Attachment(s)
Ok I think I may have this figured out, these 2 photos are of the first trip to shake out any problems with the plumbing, HVAC, refer. Last January

derf 08-08-2011 11:19 PM

update w/ photos 2

4 Attachment(s)
:bb: The interior at this point still under constuction

derf 08-22-2011 10:03 PM

update w/ photos 3

4 Attachment(s)
I am just about finished with the bathroom and install a new rock guard on the front.

Aage 08-24-2011 09:06 PM

Bathroom is lookin pretty good there, Derf. I particularly like that flooring.

Did you paint the counters?

derf 08-25-2011 09:29 PM

Yes, all plastic was removed and painted while I replaced the plumbing system,and inspected the sub-floor. The flooring is sheet vinyl cove turned up the walls. I still have the window to re-screenand some 1" inserts to install.

Aage 08-25-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 1037948)
Yes, all plastic was removed and painted while I replaced the plumbing system,and inspected the sub-floor. The flooring is sheet vinyl cove turned up the walls. I still have the window to re-screenand some 1" inserts to install.

I'm interested in how the painting was done? I had my two wall panels on the street side out to get at a small piece of copper that froze last winter, and I started to daydream on how nice it would look if it was all re-painted white.

Did you job it out, or do it yourself. Let us know what paint and prep was used?

Thanks! :)

loechli 08-26-2011 07:11 AM

Derf,

Bathroom look nice!

Can you tell us more about the paint you used.

How long would you say it took you to disassemble then reassemble the bathroom.

Any gotyas or tricks?

derf 08-29-2011 10:04 PM

Loechli & Aage;
The process took me six months working in my spare time. Like Aage, I started chasing broken water pipes, so I started at the curbside rear closet door and partition which forms the back of the bathtub removing all fasteners,(flooring was already removed). Next take off all 1" plastic trim and aluminum channels. Disconnect all plumbing, since I was planning on changing all copper to PEX I cut most of the pipe connections. Then use a razor knife to cut and remove all caulking and carefully remove counters, wall panels, and tub. I then cleaned the parts with denatured alcohol and painted with a spray paint formulated for plastic I purchased at Home Depot, now reverse the process.

derf 09-09-2012 10:24 PM

I see it's been over a year since I last updated, our airstream has a few new additions the most recent being the new axles I installed this weekend, thanks to a sale price I found online at Inland RV. I purchased 2 axles with 12 inch brakes, 4 shocks, 4 centiamatics, hardware, and shipping, for under $2100.00. Everything fit perfectly, Thanks Andy

derf 03-28-2015 07:36 PM

LED Strip light retro

After running out of battery power and using flash lights inside more times then I care to mention, I just finished changing all the stock light fixtures to stripe LED lights!:bb::bb::bb: Which compared to attaching a photo of one of the lights may be the easy part.

derf 03-28-2015 09:43 PM

Photo

1 Attachment(s)
LED retro

loechli 03-31-2015 09:27 AM

Looks good,
Can you provide any details, what light tape did you use,
Did it list a color temp or lumens / ft?

derf 04-01-2015 09:40 AM

LED Strip light retro

Good Questions, This is one of toughs projects where I buy the parts, then wait for better weather to install, and now I can't put my hands on the paper work. I do remember the color was bright white, purchased on ebay, from China, three small reels, I think there was 5 meters in each reel, and the total cost with shipping was less than $25.00, and it arrived 1 week early. The hard part aside from posting the photo, was sodering the connections to each length. The next step is to install some lights in the pantry where I'm installing a micro-switch on the door to activate the lights when the door is open. :blush:

adonh 04-01-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loechli (Post 1600793)
Looks good,
Can you provide any details, what light tape did you use,
Did it list a color temp or lumens / ft?

Here is an option

LED strip light kit for 18x18 70 s Model SKU685 [K18x18] - $89.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

Aage 04-04-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adonh (Post 1601285)

Hmmm... The way I read that ad, one kit is required for one fixture (the fixture is the exact same as what the '74 came with when new), and a kit is $89.95

I'm no expert, but isn't that a lot for one fixture's worth of lights? Just asking, I have no idea of how LED lighting is priced.