Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   How much would you pay for a dead silent (or close) generator (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-dead-silent-or-close-generator-78596.html)

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 11:49 AM

How much would you pay for a dead silent (or close) generator

Well we all know that honda and yamaha generators are fairly quiet - around the 58 db range. But if you have ever gone tent camping in a campground with RV's/trailers you know that even these quiet generators create quite a bit of noise. Ideally - generators would run at about 35db in my opinion, which would allow people to run them at night without other campers really even hearing them at all. I can think of several instances where this would be nice - running AC, CPAP/Oxygen machines etc.

So my question is, what would you be willing to pay to lower your honda or yamaha generator to the 35db range?

Dave Park 06-15-2011 12:04 PM

35db is 1/250th of 58db. 52db would reduce the perceived volume to 1/4...

Jammer 06-15-2011 12:14 PM

Much of the outrage over people running generators in tent-oriented campgrounds is that there are better alternatives in most cases. With the notable exception of Yellowstone and a few other unusually high-traffic areas, there is always either:

a) a remote location where noise is not a factor

-or-

b) a suitable nearby campsite with electricity.

When people are running generators overnight near other people's tents it is usually either to run the air conditioning or out of ignorance or a lack of preparation. It's quite practical to run a CPAP from an inverter provided that reasonable battery capacity is available. Most air conditioners have an outside noise level well above 35 dB(A) so I'm not sure what the point is behind a generator that is appreciably quieter than that. In fact other equipment like vent fans and the furnace will typically be well above 35 db(A).

vswingfield 06-15-2011 12:17 PM

For perspective, the HVAC system in my office keeps the noise level at 55 to 60 db. It annoys me sometimes, but it's not terrible. I'm sitting right under the vent. It drops to 45-50 if I take 3 steps away, which is still closer than someone else would be to a generator.

35 db is really quiet. I'm not sure how feasible that is as a goal. I wonder how much that would cost.

I will be interested in your responses.

PINKBIKE 06-15-2011 12:27 PM

just a thought here...how much would a 3 sided box ,with a lid on it work to silence genny ?

Gringo 06-15-2011 12:39 PM

Stationary Power - Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies

Jammer 06-15-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollerboy (Post 1005755)
just a thought here...how much would a 3 sided box ,with a lid on it work to silence genny ?

That approach tends to lead to overheating and poor engine performance.

It interferes with cooling and causes exhaust gas to recirculate, leading to an overly rich mixture.

vswingfield 06-15-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1005761)

I finally found one place that had prices.

(Ever notice how things like this almost never have prices, just a place to give them your information for a quote? Now I sound like Andy Rooney :lol:)

According to this site Hydrogen & fuel-cell european megastore a Powerbox GreenHub 2000 is available for 12.500,00 , or about $17,723. For a little more power, you might consider the Powercell GreenHub 3000 for 16.990,00 $24,088.

There's one answer, anyway.

TinCanLand 06-15-2011 01:16 PM

35 db is almost as quiet as an inverter!

Probably not what you meant.

Denis4x4 06-15-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

My wife bitched about the noise from a 10 HP Honda irrigation pump, so I built a box as described above and almost ruined the engine due to the heat and lack of air flow. Caught it just in time.

PINKBIKE 06-15-2011 01:46 PM

I Figured if the box was large enough,but I see your point....

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer (Post 1005745)
Much of the outrage over people running generators in tent-oriented campgrounds is that there are better alternatives in most cases. With the notable exception of Yellowstone and a few other unusually high-traffic areas, there is always either:

a) a remote location where noise is not a factor

-or-

b) a suitable nearby campsite with electricity.

When people are running generators overnight near other people's tents it is usually either to run the air conditioning or out of ignorance or a lack of preparation. It's quite practical to run a CPAP from an inverter provided that reasonable battery capacity is available. Most air conditioners have an outside noise level well above 35 dB(A) so I'm not sure what the point is behind a generator that is appreciably quieter than that. In fact other equipment like vent fans and the furnace will typically be well above 35 db(A).

What it comes down to is this - I was tent camping with my dad and he has to have oxygen at night. He built a box to try to silence his honda generator, but it wasn't nearly quiet enough for the campground even with the box, and heat built up even with the computer fans he was running causing performance and noise issues. He ended up suffering through the night as the rangers wouldn't allow him to run the generator. I also have to run oxygen myself when I am at altitude (altitude enduced sleep apnea). Many concentrators pull a lot of amps - which would drain a large bank of batteries quickly. I have researched options for concentrators, and there are a few which run on low power, but they are very expensive and often not covered by insurance if you already have a home unit.

Besides that - I have gone camping numerous times where RV'er are running their generators until 10pm. Even when they are running them during reasonable hours or during the day, they are still distracting and annoying - and they ruin the outdoor experience. These are not isolated incidents of people being occasionally rude or unprepared. It's just a simple fact that people like to "take it with them" without compromise - and they want to run their AC, their LCD, and their microwave. Batteries wont cut it for these obviously. I myself have never purchased a generator, because even if I am boondocking I don't want to listen to my own generator.

With that said - good point on the AC being louder than 35db. I run fans myself, but it would obviously be a moot point to silence a generator down to 35db if other equipment is running louder.

35db is probably unrealistic. But 40db might be attainable, and I am considering designing something that could reduce sound levels to this amount. Just curious how important this is to others besides myself.

ROBERT CROSS 06-15-2011 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

:wally: Funny you mention that...I run our 2000i in a three man tent, and get virtually no noise complaints, out of sight out of mind. (ears):blink:

TBRich 06-15-2011 01:58 PM

We have never camped in a public campground that allows running generators all night long. If we were boon docking that would be possible I supposed, but then so would be the option to locate campsites further away if you didn't want any noise.

BillTex 06-15-2011 01:59 PM

"Silent generator"=solar panels...

cruiser54 06-15-2011 02:49 PM

In Europe generators are forbidden on the parking lots. There are fuel cells already for a few years, but (still) too expensive.
Werner

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 02:57 PM

Exactly - no campgrounds allow generators to be run all night. Which is exactly why I would like a whisper quiet generator. Campgrounds would allow them if they were silent.

Just about every thread I have ever read on generators has concentrated on one of the four following qualities: Power, Weight/size, fuel economy, and noise. I would say the largest percentage of respondents are asking about noise.

I don't really understand the post about the tent. A tent would do little to nothing to silence a generator. If out of site, out of mind is true - then campgrounds wouldn't ban generators. You could just tuck it away behind the rig and you'd be set. I realize this was tongue in cheeck though. I don't doubt you haven't had complaints - but I am certain at least some people were annoyed by the noise. Often people don't speak up, as that in itself creates tension that people are trying to escape when they go camping. Just my opinion of course...

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex (Post 1005804)

Solar panels do no good in the forest...

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 02:59 PM

Also - solar/batteries will not power a microwave or AC. People will run these, and will fire up their generators to do so.

vswingfield 06-15-2011 03:00 PM

I am also curious about the source of the noise. Is it from inadequate mufflers or is there also significant mechanical noise escaping from the engines.

On many small engines, the mufflers are mostly a joke. If mufflers are available that make large V8 engines nearly silent, there should be some that would do the same for small engines. Yes, they would probably be larger than a pint of ice cream but, since they are hollow, larger mufflers should not add that much to weight. Or cost, in my opinion. Quietness would have to be given more priority than small size, though.

Darkspeed 06-15-2011 03:22 PM

Sound is a function of transmission and reflection.
1. Oversize the radiator and place it outside the enclosure
2. Box in box enclosure with no contact between boxes.
3. High mass material on inside of outer box.
4. Any pass throughs between boxes must face up
5. Exhaust needs to exit up And higher than head height
6. Exhaust needs to be double walled.
7. Low durometer mounts from operettas to inner box
8. Low durometer mounts from inner box to outer box
All noise you can't convert to heat needs to reflect up ( not in plane with ears)

nswhite 06-15-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch (Post 1005823)
Also - solar/batteries will not power a microwave or AC. People will run these, and will fire up their generators to do so.

We did all of Alumapalooza on solar. Did fine without microwave or AC. Do understand that AC is necessary in some parts of the country. And in a forest have found sunny spots to park.

Have a friend with solar who did run his microwave. Worked fine.

Don't much mind the Hondas or Yamahas. Do mind the construction generators.

ROBERT CROSS 06-15-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch (Post 1005821)

I don't really understand the post about the tent. A tent would do little to nothing to silence a generator. If out of site, out of mind is true - then campgrounds wouldn't ban generators. You could just tuck it away behind the rig and you'd be set. I realize this was tongue in cheeck though. I don't doubt you haven't had complaints - but I am certain at least some people were annoyed by the noise. Often people don't speak up, as that in itself creates tension that people are trying to escape when they go camping. Just my opinion of course...

;) It rains some in the Adirondacks, better to keep it dry while running. ;)

If I do have a neighbor the first thing I offer is power if they need it.

Gringo 06-15-2011 03:38 PM

What if.......the generator was sitting in a dish or box, attached to the top of the trailer (or TV) and the dish or box was sound insulated so that very little sound radiated to the sides, but was all reflected straight up. This would also allow heat to dissipate, and exhaust. But it should be feasible to make a baffle for the entire lower hemisphere of space below the generator so that people standing under it couldn't hear it.

DaveFL 06-15-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Exactly - no campgrounds allow generators to be run all night. Which is exactly why I would like a whisper quiet generator. Campgrounds would allow them if they were silent.

Not quite, remember the rule is on the books. sort of like no alcohol in parks with a recycle bin full of beer cans. ;)
First complaint would demand shut down and worse yet being booted out in the middle of the night or vacation.:mad:
With enough batteries anything can be run with an inverter for a short amount of time even if it uses a lot of power.

r carl 06-15-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Then they would complain about your AC unit on top of your camper making noise. :D

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=DaveFL;1005863]
Quote:

QUOTE]
Not quite, remember the rule is on the books. sort of like no alcohol in parks with a recycle bin full of beer cans. ;)
First complaint would demand shut down and worse yet being booted out in the middle of the night or vacation.:mad:

So when was the last time you complained that someone was using a flashlight in their tent? The answer is, you didn't complain because it didn't bother you. If it's silent, then you aren't going to care or complain and the rangers will have no reason to boot you out.

Nightwatch 06-15-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r carl (Post 1005908)
Then they would complain about your AC unit on top of your camper making noise. :D

I agree - AC units do make a lot of noise, so I don't really condone their use in campgrounds. No clear answers here.

Darkspeed 06-15-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo
What if.......the generator was sitting in a dish or box, attached to the top of the trailer (or TV) and the dish or box was sound insulated so that very little sound radiated to the sides, but was all reflected straight up. This would also allow heat to dissipate, and exhaust. But it should be feasible to make a baffle for the entire lower hemisphere of space below the generator so that people standing under it couldn't hear it.

Yes it would work as long as there were no overhead structures to reflect the sound. The real goal is convert sound waves to heat and then dissipate said heat. Shhhh....

overlander63 06-15-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 1005846)
If I do have a neighbor the first thing I offer is power if they need it.

The first rule of a successful party: Invite the neighbors.;)

TBRich 06-15-2011 06:09 PM

I don't particularly relish using the AC while camping, but in our neck o' the woods sometimes we get surprised by hot spells, so we need to be prepared ... It's either that or go home.

If it's so warm that we need to run the AC at night, most everyone else is running thiers as well. We have never been disturbed by someone running a genny or an AC all night. Hondas and Yamahas are so quiet that I don't think we'd even notice if they did. It's the construction generators that makes us crazy...they're like a chain saw in heat, even in the daytime!

Phrunes 06-15-2011 06:13 PM

A bucket of ice and a fan is pretty quiet. I think you can even run a countertop ice maker on solar! :-)

r carl 06-15-2011 07:39 PM

The last place I would be on a hot weekend would be a crowded campground with no elect and generator policy.

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-15-2011 09:15 PM

Generator noise topic, beat to death!

:) Hi, this topic is so confusing. Silence the generators, as if that is the only noise you will ever hear in a campground. Dogs barking, kids yelling, diesels running, doors slamming, alarms blaring, fans spinning, air conditioners running, beer bottles clanging, cigars stinking, coyotes howling, cats meowing, televisions glaring, radios blasting, trains rolling, and trucks hauling. [I'm sure I forgot a few] Get over it or buy some @%$#& ear plugs. :angry:

:) A simple proven way to make generators quieter, heavier, and more costly, is to have liquid cooled engines; Air cooled engines are inherently louder. I.E. Honda permanently mounted, water cooled, RV generators. A muffler can only do so much.

:) One last thing; If you want to appreciate silence, spend a night or two in a hospital. That will make an automotive repair shop seem quiet.

tlsmit1 06-15-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch

What it comes down to is this - I was tent camping with my dad and he has to have oxygen at night. He built a box to try to silence his honda generator, but it wasn't nearly quiet enough for the campground even with the box, and heat built up even with the computer fans he was running causing performance and noise issues. He ended up suffering through the night as the rangers wouldn't allow him to run the generator. I also have to run oxygen myself when I am at altitude (altitude enduced sleep apnea). Many concentrators pull a lot of amps - which would drain a large bank of batteries quickly. I have researched options for concentrators, and there are a few which run on low power, but they are very expensive and often not covered by insurance if you already have a home unit.

Besides that - I have gone camping numerous times where RV'er are running their generators until 10pm. Even when they are running them during reasonable hours or during the day, they are still distracting and annoying - and they ruin the outdoor experience. These are not isolated incidents of people being occasionally rude or unprepared. It's just a simple fact that people like to "take it with them" without compromise - and they want to run their AC, their LCD, and their microwave. Batteries wont cut it for these obviously. I myself have never purchased a generator, because even if I am boondocking I don't want to listen to my own generator.

With that said - good point on the AC being louder than 35db. I run fans myself, but it would obviously be a moot point to silence a generator down to 35db if other equipment is running louder.

35db is probably unrealistic. But 40db might be attainable, and I am considering designing something that could reduce sound levels to this amount. Just curious how important this is to others besides myself.

I would buy one. Most important features to me would be weight and noise, not price.

tpi 06-15-2011 10:52 PM

What I'd like to see is a more modern quiet Yamaha or Honda. The current models have been out nearly a decade or more.

One 3-4 kw model I'd like would be roughly a third to half as much perceived loudness as the current models. I would want fuel injection with MAP sensor, possibly oxygen sensor to adjust for altitude, I'd want a catalytic converter to knock down the CO and exhaust odor. And noise reduction either through better insulation and isolation, and adding water cooling if that would help the noise issue. I would be willing to have the unit weigh an additional 25 pounds (as long as its on casters), be 20% larger (longer, not taller) than equivalent current wattage, and be willing to pay extra $200 or $300.

If the perceived loudness can be reduced to a third to half, there would be many more settings where the unit would blend in to background noise. A nearby highway, wind in the trees, kids playing, etc. Of course if the air is dead quiet, the sound level of the generator could be cut 90 percent and it would still be audible.

I think the unit I'm proposing would be within the realm of possibility. In fact I think the size and weight limitations could be bettered.

NevadaGeo 06-15-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield (Post 1005826)
I am also curious about the source of the noise. Is it from inadequate mufflers or is there also significant mechanical noise escaping from the engines.

My decible meter showed my cheap Chinese generator has more sound coming from the block than the muffler. 82 db I think. An open box of half inch "sound proofing" cellotex type board, 6 foot tall got it to 72 db, tiny bit better than plywood. But you had to take the box apart to start and stop the engine, and gets real hot inside the box. Making a open waffle sound course lost the deadening gain. Then you start to worry about the box catching fire. So after about 3 sheets of 3/8s plywood, then 1/2 plywood, then cellotex, I come up with just leaving the generator in the bed of the truck at the end of a 50 foot 10 gauge extension and use the thing as seldom as possible.
This year I'm going for a commercial 12V swamp cooler, my trials of building one around the center ceiling vent actually seemed to suck in hotter air from between the skins instead of pulling air through the swamp cooler fabric, and it wanted to use up my fresh water supply in a few hours. A small portable 110AC swamp cooler actually worked with the solar panels, but the 110 inverter heat looses a lot of the cooling. Anybody got a cheaper source for a 12V swamp cooler. (I know they won't work for you'all down in swamp, er humid land. My humidity frequently reads 0, or less than 10% up here.):w00t2:

Jammer 06-16-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch (Post 1005800)
What it comes down to is this - I was tent camping with my dad and he has to have oxygen at night.

Leave the concentrator at home and use tanks. Sure you'll have to pay for them but it's cheaper, lighter, and less hassle than a generator. The insurance isn't going to pay for the generator either. Or consider staying in a campsite with electricity -- there are many places that cater to tent campers but offer electrical power at the campsite.

Quote:

Besides that - I have gone camping numerous times where RV'er are running their generators until 10pm. Even when they are running them during reasonable hours or during the day, they are still distracting and annoying - and they ruin the outdoor experience. These are not isolated incidents of people being occasionally rude or unprepared. It's just a simple fact that people like to "take it with them" without compromise - and they want to run their AC, their LCD, and their microwave.
Those people aren't going to pay extra for a 35 dB(A) generator. I would imagine that in nearly all cases they're not running the quietest generators readily available today, because if they were, I doubt if you would find it annoying.

I think it's important to realize that there are a variety of "camping experiences" available, and if your thing is solitude and quiet, you can get that. Find a place that's lower density or that enforces sound limits. Or go the other way and camp somewhere that has electricity at each campsite -- then nobody will run their generator.

Quote:

Batteries wont cut it for these obviously. I myself have never purchased a generator, because even if I am boondocking I don't want to listen to my own generator.
Batteries won't run the air conditioner but people do run TVs and microwaves from them.

Quote:

The quietest generator now on the market (at least according to manufacturer's ratings) is the Yamaha EF1000iS which emits 47 dB(A) at 125 watts. There are larger generators with only slightly higher noise ratings. Except on an unusually still night at an unusually quiet location, a 47 dB(A) noise source will blend into the outdoor background noise (wind, nearby highways, frogs, insects) from more than 20 or 30 feet away.

I'm not sure that a 40 db(A) generator solves any problem that we actually have.

Jammer 06-16-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield (Post 1005826)

There are multiple sources. In addition to the exhaust there is also significant noise emitted as a result of the vibration of the engine block itself. There is also some noise from the engine cooling fan. To make a quiet design, the manufacturers try to drop the RPM as low as possible, add a good muffler, put the engine in an enclosure, and isolate the engine from the enclosure. Most designs put the electrical side in the enclosure too because it's lighter and smaller than adding isolation to the shaft.

Nightwatch 06-16-2011 10:42 AM

Well, as I'm not willing to compromise on power but want quiet I have decided to go with 6 of these instead:

https://www.rollsbattery.com/pdf/AGM/...3DHgV8TGvpSCF6.

So my next question: How hard is it to purchase a Tank on the open market for hauling these around? :D

Jammer 06-16-2011 10:51 AM

That's only 2400 pounds. You can fit those in your pickup bed.

I recommend flooded cell L16s as giving you more watt hours for your dollar though.

Gringo 06-16-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkspeed (Post 1005924)
Yes it would work as long as there were no overhead structures to reflect the sound. The real goal is convert sound waves to heat and then dissipate said heat. Shhhh....

Or just freeze the sound in blocks and use it inside your Igloo cooler where it only makes a little noise as it thaws slowly...

Darkspeed 06-16-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer
That's only 2400 pounds. You can fit those in your pickup bed.

I recommend flooded cell L16s as giving you more watt hours for your dollar though.

L16's are a good choice. You could have a scaleable battery bank and only take with you what you needed for that trip.

If money was no object - supercapacitor

lpatkins 06-16-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex (Post 1005804)

When I camp, the trailer is used to sleep in and store food/camping gear in, no tv, radio, coffee maker, air conditioning, xbox, blender, waffle maker etc. There to enjoy nature, family and friends, don't get me wrong I love my AS, but I spend as little time in it as possible!

robwok 06-16-2011 02:41 PM

I was able to source some thin copper sheeting. I first sprayed an acid gel on the airstream, and the layed the copper sheeting over the entire trailer. I riveted those together with copper rivets, and then riveted the copper to the aluminum using a plastic glass impregnated rivet. The copper airstream really looks beautiful. The weight has icreased by maybe 700 lbs, but it is distributed evenly.

I just attached electrical leads to the trailer and the copper cover and run that through a resistance circuit module from an old solar array to modulate the power at 12v.

It's been great. I'm not sure the exact output yet, but it will run everything I need. The metals seem to heat up a little, and there is some off gassing from the acid matt, but other than that it's been great!

I have also noticed the trailer seems to get lighter over time, but I'm sure that's just my imagination. :)

Jammer 06-16-2011 02:42 PM

Rob you gotta watch out for filiform corrosion with that setup.

Gringo 06-16-2011 02:56 PM

nuther acid freak.

Wsmith 06-16-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1005850)

Sounds like a little R&D and send off for a patten application:)

Wsmith 06-16-2011 04:21 PM

Noise canceling frequency generator.

Wsmith 06-16-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robwok (Post 1006240)
I was able to source some thin copper sheeting. I first sprayed an acid gel on the airstream, and the layed the copper sheeting over the entire trailer. I riveted those together with copper rivets, and then riveted the copper to the aluminum using a plastic glass impregnated rivet. The copper airstream really looks beautiful. The weight has icreased by maybe 700 lbs, but it is distributed evenly.

I just attached electrical leads to the trailer and the copper cover and run that through a resistance circuit module from an old solar array to modulate the power at 12v.

It's been great. I'm not sure the exact output yet, but it will run everything I need. The metals seem to heat up a little, and there is some off gassing from the acid matt, but other than that it's been great!

I have also noticed the trailer seems to get lighter over time, but I'm sure that's just my imagination. :)

Rob do you ever park under a high voltage transmission line for a quick charge? I bet a lot of induction would go a long way with your setup.

Darkspeed 06-16-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wsmith

Sounds like a little R&D and send off for a patten application:)

We did a roof mounted compressor in an open top box lined with dynamat extreme and it worked great until it was parked next to a warehouse block wall, then it could be heard due to reflection.

thecatsandi 06-16-2011 07:11 PM

I would not pay $200 to quit a generator. They are engines. Getting them to be 35db would be almost equivilent to background noise.

Nightwatch 06-16-2011 11:33 PM

So far this thread has been really informative. I would have guessed that 75% or more would want a quieter generator. But honestly the majority of respondents have stated they are quite happy with the current noise levels put out by Honda's and Yamaha's. Guess that means we shouldn't expect them to work on this as there doesn't seem to be a demand - though the post about the other potential improvements included some nice upgrade ideas.

Appreciate all the honest feedback though so far.

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-17-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch (Post 1005734)
Well we all know that honda and yamaha generators are fairly quiet - around the 58 db range. But if you have ever gone tent camping in a campground with RV's/trailers you know that even these quiet generators create quite a bit of noise. Ideally - generators would run at about 35db in my opinion, which would allow people to run them at night without other campers really even hearing them at all. I can think of several instances where this would be nice - running AC, CPAP/Oxygen machines etc.

So my question is, what would you be willing to pay to lower your honda or yamaha generator to the 35db range?

:) Hi, although polls aren't always worded to reflect the feelings or thoughts of the posters, my polls included, I think that if the first question stopped at the first sentence, more people including me would have voted. I do think the Yamahas and Hondas are reasonably quiet, but I don't and wouldn't run mine all night long. Therefore I cannot vote for any of the choices given. :neutral:

Gringo 06-17-2011 06:37 AM

ah, but if nobody could hear it at all, would you run it more?

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-17-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1006455)
ah, but if nobody could hear it at all, would you run it more?

:) Hi, good question, but it would more than likely be wasting fuel, and have more exposure to theft and vandalism. [I can't hear my generator anymore; Has it run out of gas, or was it stolen?]

:) I wouldn't let my car run all night, I wouldn't let a camp fire burn all night, and I wouldn't leave a generator unattended or running all night either. All about the same thing to me.

Gringo 06-17-2011 11:06 AM

Well, you didn't exactly answer the question about whether you would use the generator more if it was totally quiet. I think you said that no, you wouldn't because it would be wasting fuel, and might get stolen in the dark without you knowing.

lots of truck drivers leave their engines running all night. But man, them are some noisy places.

vswingfield 06-17-2011 12:49 PM

Also, I don't think anyone is asking if you would run the generator at night just for the sake of running the generator. If the AC quit blowing cold air and you starting sweating like a pig, you would probably notice.

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-17-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1006541)
Well, you didn't exactly answer the question about whether you would use the generator more if it was totally quiet. I think you said that no, you wouldn't because it would be wasting fuel, and might get stolen in the dark without you knowing.

lots of truck drivers leave their engines running all night. But man, them are some noisy places.

:) Hi, Gringo. Let me see if I can answer your question in another way. I only use my generator when I need it so the amount of noise [or lack of noise] isn't a factor. But I'm sure if I owned a contractors generator, It might effect how long I run it.

Gringo 06-18-2011 05:23 AM

Okay, I think I got it.

So, the way you're set up right now, if you were camping someplace in Arizona or Texas, and it was 100 deg. at two in the morning, and you wanted your air conditioner on, you would fire up your generator at 2 am, whether it made noise or not.

I am thinking that I would tend not to use a "conventional" generator in the middle of the night, whereas I would probably use one of the mythical silent ones that this thread is about.

Of course, this completely skirts the issue of air conditioner noise in and of itself.

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-18-2011 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1006424)
:) Hi, although polls aren't always worded to reflect the feelings or thoughts of the posters, my polls included, I think that if the first question stopped at the first sentence, more people including me would have voted. I do think the Yamahas and Hondas are reasonably quiet, but I don't and wouldn't run mine all night long. Therefore I cannot vote for any of the choices given. :neutral:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1006533)
:) Hi, good question, but it would more than likely be wasting fuel, and have more exposure to theft and vandalism. [I can't hear my generator anymore; Has it run out of gas, or was it stolen?]

:) I wouldn't let my car run all night, I wouldn't let a camp fire burn all night, and I wouldn't leave a generator unattended or running all night either. All about the same thing to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1006815)
Okay, I think I got it.

So, the way you're set up right now, if you were camping someplace in Arizona or Texas, and it was 100 deg. at two in the morning, and you wanted your air conditioner on, you would fire up your generator at 2 am, whether it made noise or not.

I am thinking that I would tend not to use a "conventional" generator in the middle of the night, whereas I would probably use one of the mythical silent ones that this thread is about.

Of course, this completely skirts the issue of air conditioner noise in and of itself.

:) Hi, My boondocking is very limited and so has my generator usage. Although we never plan to camp in extreme heat or extreme cold, I have been in the cold part, but not boondocking. I use full hook ups when available, but at places like the Balloon Fiesta in New Mexico, there were no hook-ups at all. There it was hot during the evening and cool at night. At the North Rim, we were planning to stay at another full hook-up camp ground, but they were closed for the season. We didn't bring our generator with us on this trip, but wish I had for the purpose of recharging my batteries for running my furnace. [in this camp ground there were several generators running, but none loud enough to bother anyone] Because of that we had to move on; I would like to have stayed there for a few more days. We want to take a trip to Alaska and the generator will be with us for sure.

Wsmith 06-19-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 1006541)

You need to come to Dallas and hook up and visit a few of the truck stops for fuel. On second thought its about 108 here and maybe not a good idea right now. Now you can shut your truck down at some truck stops and receive A/C from a 4" hose at the truck stop. I think they have full hook up at some.

Gringo 06-19-2011 02:50 PM

Wow. that sounds pretty cool, actually. Hey, it's 86 deg. here, too. Just did a four hour sail up to another little island for a picnic. Dodged squalls all the way back. But being in the ocean sure helps. Been watching the weather in Dallas and Austin, as we are headed that way.

We'll be in Dallas several times over the next few months, in fact. I'll try to take a look at the truck stops. That 4" hose idea seems pretty interesting. Of course the travel trailers have no way of taking advantage of that. Do the trucks have a special fitting, like a dryer vent or something to hook up the ac hose?

Stork 06-22-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwatch

Here's what you want... https://www.efoy-comfort.com/

It's odd how most generators always seem to be attached to a 50 foot cord and placed as far away from the users trailer as possible, maybe that's because its annoying? :)

Sad how we have only about 40 yrs of oil left and we are about 40 yrs behind in being conservative in any way...

ROBERT CROSS 06-22-2011 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stork (Post 1008253)
Here's what you want... Home | EFOY

;) Maybe.....contact the dealer if you need to ask the price. :rolleyes:

;) I'll go annoy myself now ;)

Gringo 06-22-2011 09:14 AM

I'll pay those prices when China does.