Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Refrigerators (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/)
-   -   Help Save my original '54 Marvel!!! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/help-save-my-original-54-marvel-78164.html)

AndrewM 06-04-2011 11:05 AM

Help Save my original '54 Marvel!!!

So I just pulled my '54 Cruiser 200 miles to Memphis where I will be full timing in it for a year. Before the move the original Marvel 110v fridge was working like a champ, even in high heat. At half way the thing was freezing everything in it.

Now that I am in Memphis, the fridge has worked erratically at best, and now hardly at all. It is trying to cool, but at the highest setting it barely gets to 50 degrees. THe coolant lines drip water on the inside and the motor runs constantly. So it kicks on and everything and is trying to cool but can't. I have checked my door seals, and in fact I just put them on before the move and they are still intact exactly as they should be.

Any help would be appreciated. What are my options?

1. I don't think these old ones ran off of freon do they? COuld I just pump it up with some? Maybe it sprouted a leak on the move?

2. Could I replace the guts? Oooo maybe I could turn it into a 12v? May be out of my league

3. Call a repair person?

4. Buy a new one...BUMMER

I am currently full timing in it, so I can't really take my time with it...I wish I could.

Thanks!

AndrewM 06-07-2011 01:08 PM

Anybody?

Rhonda 06-07-2011 01:19 PM

We have done alot of digging on these in the past without much avail. We were hoping to find a way to make it more functional since we won't always be camping with electric available. I have seen people take off the Marvel door and use it as a false front for a modern refer. I'm sorry that I can't be more help than that.

Melody Ranch 06-07-2011 01:29 PM

aI did both. I replaced the bottom end mechanical s with a new apartment sized guts. I also have recharged the freon and replaced the thermostat with great results.

cutty 01-13-2012 06:35 AM

AndrewM, did you ever resolve your fridge problem. We just picked up a '54 Cruiser, missing it's fridge. As I look for a replacement original Marvel, I'm curious about how others fixed theirs.

ddstech 01-13-2012 08:17 AM

I hAve a working yellow marvel free if anybody wants to come pick it up. I am located in Folsom ca.

1953 Flying 01-13-2012 08:36 AM

Ddstech I sent you a pm about your fridge.

InsideOut 01-13-2012 08:45 AM

Okay, so this may too late for Andrew...but on these old ones, it's even more inportnat that they are level to operate properly.

Shari :flowers:

Landshark 01-14-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstech (Post 1093328)
I hAve a working yellow marvel free if anybody wants to come pick it up. I am located in Folsom ca.

Would LOVE to have it for my Flying Cloud!! Is it gone yet? I can pick it up!

Vivian