Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/)
-   -   Grey Tank choice - ABS or Polyethylene? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/grey-tank-choice-abs-or-polyethylene-75950.html)

johnhh 04-07-2011 04:58 PM

Grey Tank choice - ABS or Polyethylene?

So I am making progress on the design for adding grey tank capacity to my 78 Tradewind. The choice is between vacuum formed ABS tanks or roto molded Polyethylene tanks. Is there a reason to buy one versus the other?

Here's how I see it:

ABS - almost twice the price (~$200+ each)
- I can easily drill out and glue on the fittings

Polyethylene - almost half the price of ABS (~$100+ each)
- Need the vendor to spin-weld the fittings in place (or use the rubber fittings)

And, assuming I properly support the either tank, is one more durable than the other?

Thanks, John H

cruiser54 04-07-2011 05:34 PM

In my Cruiser I want no plastic tanks, everybody 4 is built from chrome steel....
Werner

DanielB 04-07-2011 06:05 PM

Werner ain't play'n.

SilverHoot 04-07-2011 06:08 PM

I went ABS because I was not confident that I could get the inlet exactly where it needed to be and can easily add myself.

MarkR 04-07-2011 07:21 PM

I've got Poly for my gray tank and ABS for my black tank - only because I found 2 different tank sizes to fit in the 2 different existing spaces. I don't know what the advantages or disadvantages are for either. However, I do know that my poly tank "feels" more substantial than the ABS tank.

ticki2 04-07-2011 07:59 PM

ABS is easier to repair if that is a consideration .

tinman54 04-07-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhh (Post 975549)
So I am making progress on the design for adding grey tank capacity to my 78 Tradewind. The choice is between vacuum formed ABS tanks or roto molded Polyethylene tanks. Is there a reason to buy one versus the other?

Here's how I see it:

ABS - almost twice the price (~$200+ each)
- I can easily drill out and glue on the fittings

Polyethylene - almost half the price of ABS (~$100+ each)
- Need the vendor to spin-weld the fittings in place (or use the rubber fittings)

And, assuming I properly support the either tank, is one more durable than the other?

Thanks, John H

I have not installed yet but I got my abs tanks here: RV Surplus
So I could install the fittings where I wanted. I thought the prices were good there to, the shipping hurts a little though.

johnhh 04-08-2011 10:48 AM

Tinman, thanks for the RVS link. You're right, their prices are good.

The RVS ABS prices are close enough to the poly prices so I'll go with ABS.

Thanks for the help everybody.

John H

JimW 04-08-2011 11:39 AM

I've had good luck with this Canadian Company. I purchased their AC shroud with a lifetime warranty. I talked personally with someone there and found them very helpful.

RV waste holding tanks

I'm not sure how their prices compare.

JIM

johnhh 04-08-2011 12:19 PM

I just quick checked a couple of prices. They are ABS and are typically twice the price or more, of RV Surplus. But they do say 2 days turnaround. RV Surplus is three week turnaround.

John H

tinman54 04-08-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhh (Post 975895)
I just quick checked a couple of prices. They are ABS and are typically twice the price or more, of RV Surplus. But they do say 2 days turnaround. RV Surplus is three week turnaround.

John H

John
It did take all of 4 weeks to get my tanks from rv surplus. I got really tired of looking for tanks.

Doug

vinstream 04-08-2011 06:25 PM

I only use stainless steal tanks!

Todd

marzboy 04-11-2011 01:12 AM

I am useing these Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks for my grey and black tanks. Uwe from Area 63 suggested them.

cruiser54 04-11-2011 03:05 AM

Thank you Todd, I am of the same opinion! DanielB meant about it: "Werner ain't play'n", however I cannot translate this in German.....

Lance M 04-11-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marzboy (Post 977074)
I am useing these Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks for my grey and black tanks. Uwe from Area 63 suggested them.

I'm using the same tank from Ronco. I have two gray and one black tank. The total was around $500 to my door.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post947725

DodgeDave 04-11-2011 09:15 AM

Edge and corner thickness is kind of critical because this is often where they receive mechanical stress. ABS vacuum molded tanks are thinner at corners and edges because they are drawn over a mold while being heated. Roto-molded tanks are actually thicker at corners and edges because they are literally rotated in a mold.

johnhh 04-14-2011 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am having a difficult time with this ABS versus Polyethylene tank choice. Today I am really thinking to go with poly... However, I really want to use the rubber fittings rather than order the tanks with fittings spin-welded.

You are supposed to use a butyl caulk with the rubber fitting.

Anybody have problems with the rubber fittings leaking?

In my design I will have a 5" deep tank and a 6" deep tank. When the 6" deep tank is full the water height will be above the 5" deep tank. In other words I will 'over-fill' the 5" tank which will put the rubber fitting 'under water' by a 1" water column, 2" if water backs up into the shower pan. The tank guys say 'no problemo' but I don't know.

Anybody had a bad experience with the rubber fittings?

Thanks, John H

Jammer 04-14-2011 05:18 PM

There are more leak resistant bulkhead fittings available. Here's one supplier:

Polypropylene Bulkhead Tank Fitting with EPDM Gaskets | U.S. Plastic Corp.

And some slightly heavier ones from the same place:

HaywardŽ BFA Series Industrial Bulkhead Fittings | U.S. Plastic Corp.

You could also try a place that sells spray equipment to farmers. They'll have similar fittings, reasonable prices, and are usually willing to work in small quantities.

MarkR 04-14-2011 06:40 PM

So is there a sealant we can use with the poly . . . And/or will the butyl caulk be "water tight"?

And a separate question (for Jammer):
Those fittings look great but how do you get the piece that goes inside the tank . . . in the tank (w/out drilling a larger hole somewhere else (sounds like a "dumb question")?

Seems like it would only work for small connections - where you could install the inside piece through the large drain hole.

Bauxter 04-20-2012 02:58 PM

How will the weather affect these tanks?

My factory poly black tank is in an enclosure with insulation and a heat source. From the pictures I have seen, the ABS will be exposed on the bottom. Is there a freeze risk?

I am about to order a black and a gray, not sure which way to go....as usual.