Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Lights - Interior & Exterior (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f447/)
-   -   Running Lights LED - How do I route the wire? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f447/running-lights-led-how-do-i-route-the-wire-74279.html)

AirHome 02-20-2011 01:29 PM

Running Lights LED - How do I route the wire?

3 Attachment(s)
There is great information here about upgrading running lights to LED, so I am making the attempt. I am curious how others have routed the wire in the back of the LED. As you can see in my pictures, on the new LED light the wire sticks out the back in a way that the light can not lay flat against the skin of the Airstream. :sad:

Also on the Airstream, the grommet for the existing wire sticks out. This also interferes with mounting the new light.

Should I be drilling a new hole and rerouting the wire?

Did I purchase the wrong running lights for my year and model?

Any advice is appreciated!! :D

Inland RV Center, In 02-20-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirHome (Post 954333)
There is great information here about upgrading running lights to LED, so I am making the attempt. I am curious how others have routed the wire in the back of the LED. As you can see in my pictures, on the new LED light the wire sticks out the back in a way that the light can not lay flat against the skin of the Airstream. :sad:

Also on the Airstream, the grommet for the existing wire sticks out. This also interferes with mounting the new light.

Should I be drilling a new hole and rerouting the wire?

Did I purchase the wrong running lights for my year and model?

Any advice is appreciated!! :D

Open up the hole to accomodate the new location of the wiring.

Make sure you also "ground" one side of the new LED clearance lights.

After the lights are installed, add a small bead of sealer, completely around the base of the light.

I am not aware of any LED clearance light that has wiring that matches the original lights. In that context, no, you don't have the wrong lights.

Andy

You can use Par-bond or Vulkem.

Condoluminum 02-20-2011 02:04 PM

I think consensus will be that drilling more holes in Airstream skin is invitation for more water to move in and make floor and upholstery damp...

Not sure how those were matched to your trailer, but we've had success just replacing small press-in bulbs with LED versions... If You really want to surface-mount, I'd consider making a spacer plate under the new light wth a channel for the wire, and seal it well with non-silicone sealant when you put it together...

(Wetness is to be feared more than a little darkness... )

noreen&sal 02-20-2011 03:39 PM

spacer plate

I used the base from the original lights. Cleaned out the old sockek and connections. The new light matched up to the old base. Used stainless sheet metal screws thru the new light and the old base. One of these is where you put the ground. Between the new fixture and the old base there is 1/4 inch for the hot wire connection. Like Andy said be sure to butter everything up. Sal.

AirHome 02-20-2011 07:32 PM

Made adjustments to the light case

3 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to make another hole (I've got enough leaks), so I played with the light itself and found I could etch away some plastic enough to make the wire lie flat. I tried to work with the grommet and realized I couldn't get it to work. I ditched it and just made sure I sealed everything up well.

I am happy with it. The first one took 3 hrs. The second took 30 minutes.
:)

Thanks all for the advice.

clancy_boy 02-20-2011 07:54 PM

As Andy said seal the edge. I would run a bead of sealant from the left side around the top to the right side but not along the bottom. Use grey Parbond Aluminum Sealer 5524 I believe is the better one to use on the outside skin.

Parbond Aluminum Sealer 5524 [SC-0274] - $7.49 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Good Luck - LED's are cool

AirHome 02-20-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clancy_boy
As Andy said seal the edge. I would run a bead of sealant from the left side around the top to the right side but not along the bottom. Use grey Parbond Aluminum Sealer 5524 I believe is the better one to use on the outside skin.

Parbond Aluminum Sealer 5524 [SC-0274] - $7.49 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Good Luck - LED's are cool

Yep. I've got Parbond on order.

Thanks!