Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/)
-   -   A Great Option to have your Airstream Polished at a Bargain Rate (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/a-great-option-to-have-your-airstream-polished-at-a-bargain-rate-71103.html)

mello mike 10-30-2010 09:27 AM

A Great Option to have your Airstream Polished at a Bargain Rate
 
3 Attachment(s)
Another option for those who are still working full time and don't have the time to polish their Airstreams. This option? Truck Polishers! I'm sure you've seen the shiny fuel and milk aluminum trailers pulled by the big 18-Wheelers. Somebody is polishing them and it isn't the drivers. These businesses have been around for years but I haven't seen them mentioned here on the forums, at least not that I remember.

I recently took my Sovereign to one of these truck polishing shops and they polished my entire 31' Sovereign for $1500!!! They used red and white rouge sticks to achieve a mirror shine. My Sovereign still needs the final stage of polishing with a Cyclo and Nuvite-S to remove the polishing marks, but the cost is worth it because the first two cuts take the longest and they are the messiest.

dnssandbox 10-30-2010 09:50 AM

Mello Mike... That is an excellent tip. And that price - WoW!

Now to spend the next few hours trying to find a place on or close to Long island..

62bam 10-30-2010 09:53 AM

SUPER idea.......why didn't I think of that! We have many shiny milk haulers in our area, some company has to shine them.

Zeppelinium 10-30-2010 10:31 AM

Mike,

Were you happy with the details around the lights and fittings? How about getting the black out of the small joints around the windows, belt trim, and door?

Zep

safari57 10-30-2010 10:53 AM

Your trailer sure looks great Mike. Great suggestion.

Ken J 10-30-2010 11:05 AM

A lot of truck polishers use a heavy acid which is ok on non riveted tank trailers - so you need to be careful and make sure they are just using the rouge..

Looks like the guys you took it to did a very nice job

Ken J.

mello mike 10-30-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeppelinium (Post 912039)
Mike,

Were you happy with the details around the lights and fittings? How about getting the black out of the small joints around the windows, belt trim, and door?

Zep

Good question, Roger. The work around most of the lights is pretty good but some still need a little touch up. I'm willing to do the touch ups since I still saved a lot of time and money on the job. Yes, some of the oxidation dust needed to be cleaned off, but again, not a big deal.

For my Overlander, I'm going to do some prep work to tape off windows and some fittings. This will speed up the cleaning after the polishing is done.

Melody Ranch 10-30-2010 01:33 PM

I should have tried that. You really have a nice job there..

walter1 10-30-2010 02:01 PM

Art Gonzalez Polishing Corning, CA

$120 per foot..actual body length

Silverhobby 11-02-2010 08:12 AM

My Dad owned a trucking company for over 50 years. I was involved for almost 30 years. The tankers that we hauled milk in were stainless steel and had a mirror finish and never needed anything but a good washing with a soft brush. Stainless doesn't oxidize. or need polishing, turn white, or corrode as aluminum does. There is a difference in the finish of the AS trailers.

LHall 11-02-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello mike (Post 912014)
Another option for those who are still working full time and don't have the time to polish their Airstreams. This option? Truck Polishers! I'm sure you've seen the shiny fuel and milk aluminum trailers pulled by the big 18-Wheelers. Somebody is polishing them and it isn't the drivers. These businesses have been around for years but I haven't seen them mentioned here on the forums, at least not that I remember.

I recently took my Sovereign to one of these truck polishing shops and they polished my entire 31' Sovereign for $1500!!! They used red and white rouge sticks to achieve a mirror shine. My Sovereign still needs the final stage of polishing with a Cyclo and Nuvite-S to remove the polishing marks, but the cost is worth it because the first two cuts take the longest and they are the messiest.

Hey Mike, It looks great!! Did you take it to one of the shops we discussed down in Eloy? Nicely done!

bredlo 11-02-2010 11:10 AM

It's a great idea Mike, and if done carefully could probably do 90% of the hard work for us. I can't find any places like that around here in Chicago, but there must be something in the midwest, I'd think.

funkill 11-02-2010 11:32 AM

Interesting idea --- had to google it to see if one was nearby. Found this mobile service for much of the US: Metals Polishing - ALUMINUM, STAINLESS, CHROME POLISHING HEAVY EQUIPMENT PAINTING

Laura

mello mike 11-02-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LHall (Post 912908)
Hey Mike, It looks great!! Did you take it to one of the shops we discussed down in Eloy? Nicely done!

Hi Louis. Yes, I took it to M&M Truck Polishing in Eloy. There's like three truck polishing businesses there in Eloy. They were all willing to polish the Airstream, but M&M offered the lowest estimate, and they stuck to it.

Safari64 11-08-2010 01:58 AM

How long did you have to leave it with them for the polish job?

Would removing running lights and tail lights and masking window frames help?
Can they do the third step also? Headed to Tucson.

mello mike 11-08-2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safari64 (Post 915134)
How long did you have to leave it with them for the polish job?

Would removing running lights and tail lights and masking window frames help?
Can they do the third step also? Headed to Tucson.

I dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up Thursday. Not long at all. Yes, I would recommend taping off windows, running lights, and taillights. Anything you don't want to get dirty.

Archersfin 11-10-2010 09:49 PM

Did you get on top yet to see if they did a good job up there? Around all the vents and opening and hardware on top?
Just curious
This is good information for us old coots that don't like to climb on top
Thanks

mello mike 11-11-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archersfin (Post 916147)
Did you get on top yet to see if they did a good job up there? Around all the vents and opening and hardware on top?
Just curious
This is good information for us old coots that don't like to climb on top
Thanks

I did. They polished the entire roof and even got all of the banana wraps.

Dag68 11-11-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnssandbox (Post 912022)
Mello Mike... That is an excellent tip. And that price - WoW!

Now to spend the next few hours trying to find a place on or close to Long island..

If you find one on Long Island, please shout it out. I'm on Shelter Island and although I'm not ready for polishing yet, I will get there someday.

william Haym 11-11-2010 12:27 PM

Mello Mike!! After your trailer was polished , what did you do to prevent it from oxidizing.
Can you do something to prevent this!!! Especially in my area with severe weather changes?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.