Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   vent fan dimmer switch (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/vent-fan-dimmer-switch-69305.html)

jimirwin 09-11-2010 11:37 AM

vent fan dimmer switch

I have a 68 Sovereign. One of the vent fans was not working, I removed the switch and found that it was broken; the wire from the coil to the terminal was broken and the hot lead terminal itself had snapped apart.

I know it is 12 volt DC, maybe around 4 amps.

What I cannot seem to do - after 45 minutes of searching these threads and going to many online parts places for Airstream, as well as calling auto parts stores, my 2 local RV dealers, and a marine store - again, what I cannot seem to do is find a replacement switch!

Please - sell me or tell me where I can get a switch... sorry to be so desparate - but my local rv dealer told me to go to home depot and get a regular dimmer! I am no electrician - but that is plain dumb!

Thank you,
Jim

arodriguez60 09-11-2010 11:47 AM

Is it an original vent fan or a fantasic fan

Inland RV Center, In 09-11-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimirwin (Post 893532)
I have a 68 Sovereign. One of the vent fans was not working, I removed the switch and found that it was broken; the wire from the coil to the terminal was broken and the hot lead terminal itself had snapped apart.

I know it is 12 volt DC, maybe around 4 amps.

What I cannot seem to do - after 45 minutes of searching these threads and going to many online parts places for Airstream, as well as calling auto parts stores, my 2 local RV dealers, and a marine store - again, what I cannot seem to do is find a replacement switch!

Please - sell me or tell me where I can get a switch... sorry to be so desparate - but my local rv dealer told me to go to home depot and get a regular dimmer! I am no electrician - but that is plain dumb!

Thank you,
Jim

All you need is a single pole double throw, with a center off switch.

You will also need a resistor so that you can select either full or partial speed.

A regular dimmer, your correct, is dumb.

Andy

jimirwin 09-11-2010 02:48 PM

it is original.

Thank you Andy - always great info!

Inland RV Center, In 09-15-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDiamold (Post 895412)
Or get a solder gun and solder the loose wire back to where it came off of -_-. its really simple just be willing to learn!

A regular dimmer switch rated for more amp's than the fan draws would be more than sufficient and it would allow for speed control.

the YMCA that I work out at just installed 2 ceiling fans and both use dimmer switches, just make sure they have the AMPERAGE that you need and them sum.

If the fan is 5amps get one for at least 8 amps, best the fan burn up than your switch and trailer!!

Here's one i found using Google

Lutron Rotary Dimmers

Dimmers for homes operate on AC voltage.

The ceiling fans in Airstreams since 1965, all run on DC.

That's why a fixed 10 watt wire wound resistor is used for speed control.

Andy