Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/)
-   -   Wooden Interior Walls (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/wooden-interior-walls-68883.html)

Llano 08-31-2010 11:40 AM

Wooden Interior Walls

Had to remove the remaining interior aluminum skin to get at 25 years of rotten insulation and general putridity. Some pieces were already removed/destroyed and the remainders were used to patch the belly pan and other invisible locales. I am planning to hang thin higher grade plywood on the interior walls.

I have seen a handful of threads with wooden walls but can't seem to find a good description of how best to hang the plywood. Remember, I don't have the interior aluminum to attach wood to. I'm assuming that I will need to fill the channels in the walls with pieces of wood for the screws to "bite" into and that I will need to score each individual piece.

Any thoughts on how best to undertake this process would be appreciated. It's gonna be "fun"! :blink:

2airishuman 08-31-2010 11:51 AM

REPLACE the inner aluminum skin.

then cover it with whatever U like (wood veneer for example)

the inner skin DOES provide some of the semimonocoque/unibody structural integrity...

that make streams streams...

inner skin connected2ribs connected2outer skin connected2floor channel (with flooring) connected2frame...

the curtains aren't structural elements

but just about every thing else is, in the old traylahs.

without exception the older threads on 'wood wall treatments' all have INNER aluminum skins intact.

those clowns on the diy channel,

did mutilate a stream with wood and carpet screwed to the walls.

THAT example is not to be followed.

cheers
2air'

aircooled4 08-31-2010 12:47 PM

..did you say 'putridity' ? i like that word...!

Llano 08-31-2010 12:54 PM

That's Texan for "rat poop and snake nests".

pbearsailor 08-31-2010 01:23 PM

I used 1/8"' Baltic Birch fastened with Olympic rivets and some bucked rivets (around the door). Used the existing ribs.

cheers,
steve :)

Chizlam 09-18-2010 08:43 PM

any 1/8" ply should work but if you have the chance pick something up with cheap oak on the side that will face the trailer skin. The oak is very porous and should take to any glue you use to secure the sheets. Nailing, screwing or riveting into the interior skin should be enough to hold it providing you use enough, trying to block out the back or always hit the ribs is going to be a headache.

EmilyK 04-12-2016 11:06 AM

Wood Over Vinyl Interior Center Walls

2 Attachment(s)
I have gone through all the interior threads here and can't find anything about replacing the fake wood vinyl on the interior walls with something else. I am including a photo I found on Pinterest to show what our goal is. I found a 3/8 inch faux product at Home Depot that allows you to install shiplap planks. These are made of recycled wooden fibers, so they can be stained. But, how should they be attached to the walls? I'm assuming the wood grain vinyl is adhered to luan. Has anyone done this before? Did you remove the metal trim around the curves or just attach the boards over it? Did you use liquid nails, screws, or regular nails? I would so appreciate anyone's input here!!!

rugjenkins 04-12-2016 03:03 PM

Adhesive(something like liquid nails) and brad nailer should work fine

rugjenkins 04-12-2016 03:07 PM

Leave the metal trim. The vinyl luan attaches to it.