Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Bike rack for A/S bumper? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/bike-rack-for-a-s-bumper-67233.html)

Lahontancut 07-22-2010 04:21 PM

Bike rack for A/S bumper?
 
Is there a bike rack that is recommended by A/S? I need to tow 3-4 bikes and planned to get a bumper mount 2-inch hitch receiver and then use a standard bike rack. But then I recently drove by a Class C on the side of the road with a collapsed bumper that had bikes attached to it. I want to make sure the bumper on my 2009 Flying Cloud is rated to hold that kind of weight.

Silverwanabe 07-22-2010 04:25 PM

From what I have read over the years,
adding a bike rack to the back of an Airstream is a major No No.
This will cause frame separation according the experts.

Hummer 08-30-2010 08:53 PM

I was going to do the same thing as I have a two bike rack to carry one mountain bike on rear bumper but I guess that is out now.

TankerIP 08-31-2010 07:02 PM

Someone in times past posted info about a stand that you can use on the inside of your trailer to neatly carry a bike. Available at Lowes or Home D. not sure. Seems the best deal we have.

I've tried to think of a way to front mount, but the tanks and batteries are just too much in the way.

If you had read the stories about cracks in the frame of my model, you wouldn't think of carrying a souvenir pine cone back there, much less a bike.

h70man 08-31-2010 07:08 PM

I was just at the factory at Jackson Center and asked that very question. what I got was a resounding no no no. I figure they know what they are talking about, I am not going there>

Al - K4GLU 08-31-2010 07:10 PM

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-41078.html

BeBop 08-31-2010 08:06 PM

Bike Rack
 
Best to place them in the bed/rear of your tow vehicle. The construction of an Airstream is the same as an aircraft, a careful balancing of stress and flex, due to road/travel induced factors. If you don't have area in the rear of the TV, perhaps consider a front mounted receiver and a bike carrier. A few pounds bouncing around on the end of your trailer can produce very interesting results, from the structural perspective. ;)

64_safari 08-31-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeBop (Post 889524)
Best to place them in the bed/rear of your tow vehicle. The construction of an Airstream is the same as an aircraft, a careful balancing of stress and flex, due to road/travel induced factors. If you don't have area in the rear of the TV, perhaps consider a front mounted receiver and a bike carrier. A few pounds bouncing around on the end of your trailer can produce very interesting results, from the structural perspective. ;)

Dang! I was gonna put one on my airplane too!

Silverwanabe 08-31-2010 08:42 PM

From all the information I have read,
adding anything on the bumper of an Airstream trailer is a major No No...
No bike racks.....

I know Andy from InlandRV would agree...

Kevin245 08-31-2010 09:21 PM

Yes bikes, storage boxes, generators, etc. off the rear bumper are generally considered a no-no. Some have done it with no reported issue, but the general consensus is not to do it.

So let's turn the table on this and consider hanging an Airstream rack off the back of your bike? :D

Check out some of Skip's handy work.

One of my other hobbies - Airstream Forums

Kevin

SpaceEgg 08-31-2010 09:43 PM

boo airstream bumpers
 
I find this dilemma highly disturbing.

Why did they make the larger safari-type bumpers in the first place? Seems like they were made to haul luggage, not bicycles, which these days seem to weigh as much as marshmallows.

Did they just not understand frame separation back then? Has anyone out there actually experienced rear end separation from carrying something as light as a bike on their bumper? And what exactly separates?

My traveling water-slide idea is now totally destroyed.

FordTruck 09-01-2010 06:13 AM

I recently posted on a similar topic.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...cab-68683.html

jwgreen 02-18-2011 10:49 AM

Bike rack
 
Last year I puchased a 2 in. hitch receiver from the front of my 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 dually. It was a stock receiver made by Reese/Cequent Towing products. Curt hitch manufacturing also manufactures a similar model. It requires the removal of 4 bolts, 2 on each side of the frame, where the bumper brackets are mounted. Put the new receiver frame back on, reinstall the bolts, and you've got a hitch receiver good for 500 lbs. on the front of your truck. This should be adequate for 4 bikes. My truck is 2WD but the clearance is OK. I used it on a caravan last summer and carried 2 bikes for over 10K miles with no problem. I used racheting nylon straps (3) to secure the bikes to the carrier and the eyes on the frame below the bumper. Hitch manufacturers make this receiver for all makes. Check out some suppliers and the price is reasonable and won't stress the frame of your Airstream trailer.

TouringDan 02-18-2011 11:11 AM

Airstream/Bike Rack
 
I agree with SpaceEgg. If you have a reasonable solid rear bumper, I can't see where you are going to cause any problem carrying a 50 lb bike and bumper rack on it. One of the best books I ever read was the auto biography of Bill Lear (designer of the Lear 8 track player and the Lear Jet). What drove him was designing stuff that others said was impossible to do. He did not believe what some engineers told him that could not be done, until he tried it himself. Some times he was wrong, some times he was correct!

JW- I am going to order the front Class III rack for my Tundra to carry a light dual sport motorcycle on the front of my truck. It is only $122 from Curt Manufacturint. That would be a great way to carry lots of bikes. Headlight illumination would be the only issue (new solutions have new problems ya no).

Dan

Inland RV Center, In 02-18-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringDan (Post 953475)
I agree with SpaceEgg. If you have a reasonable solid rear bumper, I can't see where you are going to cause any problem carrying a 50 lb bike and bumper rack on it. One of the best books I ever read was the auto biography of Bill Lear (designer of the Lear 8 track player and the Lear Jet). What drove him was designing stuff that others said was impossible to do. He did not believe what some engineers told him that could not be done, until he tried it himself. Some times he was wrong, some times he was correct!

JW- I am going to order the front Class III rack for my Tundra to carry a light dual sport motorcycle on the front of my truck. It is only $122 from Curt Manufacturint. That would be a great way to carry lots of bikes. Headlight illumination would be the only issue (new solutions have new problems ya no).

Dan

Dan 50 pounds on the bumper, "IS NOT" 50 pounds.

Your dealing with a "moment arm".

That 50 pounds is multiplied by the distance in feet from the point of last support to the ground, which is the rear axle.

For the sake of numbers, if that distance is 10 feet, then the 50 pounds, suddenly becomes 500 pounds, sitting still. When the trailer hits a bump, that weight quickly multiplies.

This is the primary reason for "rear end separation", and should not be done.

Physics plays the part.

Andy

easyride 02-18-2011 12:55 PM

OK,I think this applies to the newer (70`s up) with the new frame,it doesn`t seem to apply to the channel iron frames.How many pictures have you seen of the Cairo caravan where they are hauling 1 or 2 spares on the back bumper,or did Wally keep breaking frames on that trip?
In the 60`s Ca. had the optional rear bumper mount,with the alum. cover. Dave

Ag&Au 02-18-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceEgg (Post 889572)
.................................................. ....

My traveling water-slide idea is now totally destroyed.

Don't give up so easily. Just put a couple wheelbarrow wheels on the bottom end of the water slide to carry most of the weight. :D

Ken

mikeandnora 02-18-2011 02:06 PM

What do you guys think of the custom installations by a few people where they have placed supports in the window area to take the force off of the bumper. I am not an engineer but I would think that you would be able to transfer the force away from the week point.

SpaceEgg 02-19-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwgreen (Post 953471)
Last year I puchased a 2 in. hitch receiver from the front of my 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 dually. It was a stock receiver made by Reese/Cequent Towing products. Curt hitch manufacturing also manufactures a similar model. It requires the removal of 4 bolts, 2 on each side of the frame, where the bumper brackets are mounted. Put the new receiver frame back on, reinstall the bolts, and you've got a hitch receiver good for 500 lbs. on the front of your truck. This should be adequate for 4 bikes. My truck is 2WD but the clearance is OK. I used it on a caravan last summer and carried 2 bikes for over 10K miles with no problem. I used racheting nylon straps (3) to secure the bikes to the carrier and the eyes on the frame below the bumper. Hitch manufacturers make this receiver for all makes. Check out some suppliers and the price is reasonable and won't stress the frame of your Airstream trailer.

Clever. Any photos to share?

500 lbs could support a waterslide....?

TouringDan 02-19-2011 07:41 PM

Affect of 50 lb weight on the bumper
 
Andy- You are correct that 50 lbs at the bumper is not 50 lbs at the rear wheels and that physics plays a part. However the weight at the rear bumper is not 500 lbs though. Think of the trailer as a teeter totter. The weight of 50 lbs at the rear bumper of a 30 ft long trailer is offset by a 75 lb weight at the rear wheels (with a moment arm of 20 ft). This 50 lb weight also reduces the tongue weight by 25 lbs. The same physics principle will result in a 450 lb load from carrying a motorcycle in front of my Tundra to reduce the load on the rear tires by 150 lbs. However this will also increase the weight on the front tires by 600 lbs. The weights have to balance out.

Easyride- You make a very good point about carrying a spare tire on the rear bumper. This did not seem to cause any major problems.

Dan


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.